Break Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Break Problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Break Problems

Wow... I spelled brake wrong in the title.. wow...

So.... I'm having a few problems and was hoping someone out there might be able to shed a bit of light.

First, my rear drum brakes on my 2002 Jeep Liberty Renegade. I noticed that my wheels were locking up REALLY easily in snow when i was in 2wd and not so much in 4wd. Kinda normal? Right? Well this was a huge difference. 5mph on a wet road and my tires would lock really easily. 30mph in light snow in 4wd, i stopped in no time. Keeping in mind on both tests, I did not pulse the brakes and only applied heavy constant pressure on a car WITHOUT ABS. Next, i found a nice sheet of ice, and blocked my front tires (rear wheel drive) to find out that even when i pressed the pedal to the floor, my rear tires would spin and spin. you can see that test here.
im sorry im being really stupid in the video, i was tired and late for school so please dont criticize that.

next, my gas mileage is TERRIBLE. Im assuming some is due to the extra weight of the renegade, and some 4wd use. But I'm lucky to get 185 miles before the light comes on. (thats 10 mpg).

What have I attempted so far?

*Tested emergency brake. It works great.
*found a flat road, drove to 30 mph, shifted into neutral. It almost felt like the brakes were on. but just barely.
*went to a jeep dealership to have them check it (spending money sucks) and also replaced front discs and pads due to heavy wear and rapid rotor warping (maybe because the backs dont work?) but they couldnt find a problem with the rear drums at all.

If anyone can tell me what to look for. Or any suggestions, guess, anything. I would greatly appreciate it. Back in November i hit an illegally parked car in a huge rain storm. I was making a corner at about 5 mph, my front tires hit a steel plate in the road, locked, and i couldn't avoid hitting it. the damage? A small scratch in their plastic bumper cover. Because of this, my insurance wants to give me a 5 year surcharge and the only way out is to prove the accident was due to severe weather (true, but probably not going to work) or a mechanical failure, putting me not at fault.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO AT LEAST READS THIS!!!! (:

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
jeepkj617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

For your mileage have you ever changed your spark plugs? They require chnage every 30,000 miles,only use copper core plugs for best results.Also chnaging the PCV valve,F/R diff fluids(every 12k-15k),and keeping proper psi in your tires.

For your brakes that is pretty standard for disc/drum setup.I bet most of your issue is your tires.Have you had the rear drums measured or adjusted? Worn/mis0adjusted drums makes them not work right and your drums should be adjusted once a year.Might be time for a brake fluid flush also.
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

ive done sparks and oil and PCV over the summer and tires weekly.

soo my back wheels shouldnt stop at all with no pressure on them? haha and yes, the dealership adjusted and repaired one of them in late august. problem started before then.

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
jeepkj617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
brake , brakes , drum , liberty , locking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.