Break-in Period - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Break-in Period

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-16-2002, 08:18 AM   #1
StepheninLA

Break-in Period

Does anyone know how crucial the engine break-in period is?? I know the manual says that you shouldn't go higher than 50 for the first 100 miles or so and then not over 55 for the next 800. Well, in LA, you really can't go to the market w/o hoppin' on the freeway and it's tough to stay within those speeds while on them. I picked up my black LTD about 3 weeks ago and have about 1,100 miles on it. The night I drove it home from the dealership, I had it goin' about 70 and have since been anywhere from 70-80 on the freeways. The engine seems fine and like it was the night I drove it home, but I wonder if this maybe affects the long-term reliability of the engine. The dealership said that it was more important not to have it goin' the same speed for long periods of time, which i've managed to do. Any thought on this would be really appreciated. Thanks. Also...just fyi...this is my first truck/suv and I have to say that it's the BEST vehicle i've EVER owned!!! I can't seem to get enough of it and find i'm making up excuses to go driving around in it. I think Jeep's got a real winner here!!

Unread 04-16-2002, 10:16 AM   #2
gonz165

Here's what the All-Knowing-Guru's-of-Automobilage (Click and Clack the Car Guys) say about the break in period: <a href="http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/1997/September/02.html" target="_blank">http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/1997/September/02.html</a>

Basically, the break in period is recommended by all car manufacturers to ensure the piston rings "seat" properly. Chances are, your piston rings are seating just fine. But, in the oddball chance that somebody's don't, that person can't say that the manufacturer didn't warn them. In the end it's a little bit of "good sound advice" mixed in with "cover our butts." I'm sure there are varying opinions, though.

I picked up my new Liberty with 103 miles on it, then immediately proceeded to drive from Dayton, Ohio, to West Lafayette, Indiana that weekend. I figured I'd take my chances. Look at it this way: have you ever owned a used car? Do you have any idea whether the previous owner did a proper break-in? Did you ever have a mechanic tell you, "well, you wouldn't have had this problem if you had done a proper break-in back in '93"?

Glad you're enjoying the new Jeep. Mine has been a pleasure to drive and I too can't think of enough reasons to hope in and fire it up. It's the perfect combination of comfort and pure Jeep force, if you ask me.
gonz165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2002, 11:26 AM   #3
StepheninLA

Hey, Gonz...thanks so much for the info, and the fast response.
Unread 04-17-2002, 06:04 AM   #4
Gecko

There is more to it than seating the rings (which with the metalurgical advances recently doesn't really mean much anymore). Besides the rubbing of machined surfaces against each other that have to reach some happy medium, there is something else going on. When the engine components are cast, the block, pistons, etc. they retain residual internal stresses from the crystalization process. Those stresses try to pull things out of shape, cylinders don't want to be round, pistons want to warp. Heating and cooling cycles relieve those stresses and lets everything get along. The best way to break an engine in is to subject it to frequent heating and cooling - short trips with time for it to heat up completely and cool down between. Some small-volume manufacturer's start their engines up for a minute, then shut them off, then keep adding a minute or so each time.

Break-in isn't as important as it used to be because components are so much better. It used to be quite an accomplishment to get 100,000 miles out of an engine without a rebuild. Now about any will go that far. You didn't do any harm to it, these engines don't spin that fast at the speeds you are going. Now, if you had a Honda S2000 that zings up to eight thousand some rpm I'd keep it turning slow for awhile.
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2002, 06:29 PM   #5
MyJeepMatchesMyCell

Doh! and double doh! this is my first new car and my dealer said NOTHING about breaking it in. So ofcourse as soon as we got it out of the dealership we went joyriding for 100 miles of highway...guess i'll just have to sell it b4 it gets to 100k ^^
MyJeepMatchesMyCell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2002, 07:17 PM   #6
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by MyJeepMatchesMyCell:
<strong>Doh! and double doh! this is my first new car and my dealer said NOTHING about breaking it in. So ofcourse as soon as we got it out of the dealership we went joyriding for 100 miles of highway...guess i'll just have to sell it b4 it gets to 100k ^^</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I really, really don't understand how someone could buy a new car and not read the manual completely

It's fun!
Alheim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2002, 05:21 PM   #7
Michael T

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Alheim:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by MyJeepMatchesMyCell:
<strong>Doh! and double doh! this is my first new car and my dealer said NOTHING about breaking it in. So ofcourse as soon as we got it out of the dealership we went joyriding for 100 miles of highway...guess i'll just have to sell it b4 it gets to 100k ^^</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I really, really don't understand how someone could buy a new car and not read the manual completely

It's fun!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree, I work wayyyyyy too hard for my $$$$ to have a car go "lemony" on me after 5000 miles...YIKES !
Unread 05-08-2002, 11:28 AM   #8
MrEmoto

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Michael T:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Alheim:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by MyJeepMatchesMyCell:

It's fun!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree, I work wayyyyyy too hard for my $$$$ to have a car go "lemony" on me after 5000 miles...YIKES ! </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It *is* fun to read the manual, and I have now read all 10 bazillion pages of it.

In my case, I picked up the Liberty about an hour and a half after the dealership closed (the salesman was kind enough to wait for me) and the manual was locked upstairs in someplace the salesman claimed he couldn't get into.

I had to go back the next day anyhow to finish up some paperwork, so got the manual then. My salesman had no clue about break-in, so I drove it pretty carefully on the way home; not as slowly as you are supposed to for the first hundred miles, but not too far off, either.

The good news is that the dealer I bought from was a 100 mile round trip from my house, and when I arrived the next day, my salesman had the truck cleaned inside and out, and put a full tank of gas in it for me!
Eventual Master of the Obvious #1

'02 Black Limited
MrEmoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.