Brake lights not Working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Brake lights not Working

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
clnlibrty

Brake lights not Working

i have a 07 KJ thats having a brake light problem. ive checked all my fuses and there all good. my parking lights are working, blinkers are working. brake light are just not working when i push on the brake. does anyone have any suggestions or anything

sorry if this is a repost, but i couldnt find any post on this

Last edited by clnlibrty; 08-25-2011 at 08:45 PM..
clnlibrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Check the ground on your brake lights would be a good first step. Volt meter will help if you have access to one.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Check the brake light switch that is on the brake pedal.
Unread 08-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
clnlibrty

ok so i replaced the brake light switch and nothing. the orignal light switch was still good but i switched it out ether way. so im completely lost on this one, cant even drive around because i really dont feel like getting a ticket for no brake lights.compleat. someone has to know something
clnlibrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnlibrty View Post
ok so i replaced the brake light switch and nothing. the orignal light switch was still good but i switched it out ether way. so im completely lost on this one, cant even drive around because i really dont feel like getting a ticket for no brake lights.compleat. someone has to know something

As 95Badboy said...you need to get hold of a voltmeter.
Turn on the ignition and jam the brake pedal down with a lenght of timber then measure at the brake light for voltage.

First measure between the connection on the bulb itself and the ground on the bulb itself....if you have 12 volts there then your bulbs are blown or you have dirty contacts inside the bulb holder.
Now measure between the connection on the bulb and the other meter lead going to the chassis somewhere....if you now have voltage it means the grounding to the bulb holders is gone which is a common problem.

If you do not have voltage at the rear at all then you need to start measuring the voltage at the brake switch.

Does the third brake light work? If not then you probably are losing voltage right up front near the brake switch.

Once you have a multimeter to fault find....even a cheap one....the rest is not rocket science!
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
roertw006
2004 KJ Liberty 

this is strange... i was actually going to post a new thread about this same thing. mine is an '04... i guess theyre just starting to get to be old cars.

symptoms: no brake lights (1 or 2), 3rd brake light works. tail lights/parking lights work fine. checked brake light bulb on one side and it was ok(i assume both are, and if not, i at least have a problem with the one side). i checked the fuse, and it is ok(which makes sense, otherwise my 3rd brake light wouldnt work). i suspected it may be the switch at the brake pedal, but i cant imagine it could be because, again, the 3rd brake light works.

from what i can tell, im not getting current to my brake light bulb(s). where are the other places/things i should check? anyone experience this kind of thing before(besides clnlibrty)?
Unread 08-30-2011, 05:12 AM   #7
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roertw006 View Post
this is strange... i was actually going to post a new thread about this same thing. mine is an '04... i guess theyre just starting to get to be old cars.

symptoms: no brake lights (1 or 2), 3rd brake light works. tail lights/parking lights work fine. checked brake light bulb on one side and it was ok(i assume both are, and if not, i at least have a problem with the one side). i checked the fuse, and it is ok(which makes sense, otherwise my 3rd brake light wouldnt work). i suspected it may be the switch at the brake pedal, but i cant imagine it could be because, again, the 3rd brake light works.

from what i can tell, im not getting current to my brake light bulb(s). where are the other places/things i should check? anyone experience this kind of thing before(besides clnlibrty)?
Do the steps I mentioned in my post above....the most common problem is that the ground for the rear bulbs gets lost....that is why I say check that you have voltage measuring between the positive contact on the bulb and the ground point on the bulb.....then move the lead from the ground point on the bulb onto a portion of clean chassis ie. a bolt on the rear door hinge.
A lot of people have fixed the missing ground point by drilling a small hole into the bodywork inside the rear cluster holder, scrape off some paint there, fit a new piece of wire to that hole by means of a self-tapping screw, connect this new wire to the ground portion of the brake bulb holder....you can never have too many grounds.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.