Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

A bit sad today

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  massyj 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got back from the dealer (they phoned, so I walked across the road from work rather than phoning back). They can't find a 2004 Liberty Limited that matches my order, and since they didn't want to order one from the factory when I placed the order (last month) I'm now SOL. I was offered one in Black or Timberline Green neither of which are the Patriot Blue I ordered. I was also given the choice to reduce my options and they'll try again to find one in Patriot Blue... I'm definitely NOT reducing my options!

Here's the kicker. I live in Kitchener, ON. Canada and I've found 3 of them exactly how I want at dealerships in BC (1 in Surrey, 2 in Victoria) but my local dealer is unwilling to bring them in and cited the obvious reason of "cost of shipping" (they pegged it at $2400).
How would you proceed in this case? I've put quite a bit of time into this whole ordeal, and I'm really not wanting to budge on anything, but it's looking like my choices are... limited (no pun intended). So it looks like my options are
1. Take the Black or Green (really, really, don't like green)
2. Take less options and hope they find it (almost not a consideration)
3. Wait for the 2005's, screw up my summer vacation (needed the Liberty) and get that dumb-*** chrome grill (Limited).
4. Cancel the deal with the dealership in Kitchener, fly out to B.C. and drive the thing home (I haven't even looked if I can afford this option, or the time off of work).

And I'm NOT getting an 05 CRD so don't even bother mentioning it.

Story Continues in this thread

See less See more
#2 ·
4Factor said:
So it looks like my options are
3. Wait for the 2005's, screw up my summer vacation (needed the Liberty) and get that dumb-*** chrome grill (Limited).
4. Cancel the deal with the dealership in Kitchener, fly out to B.C. and drive the thing home (I haven't even looked if I can afford this option, or the time off of work).

I'd go with number 4 if you can. Any of the other three are going to have you looking at your Jeep down the road and saying "I wish I did ____ instead...." You know what you want, don't settle for less. Maybe there would also be a dealership a little closer to you than B.C. that can get the one that you want?

#3 ·
4Factor said:
Just got back from the dealer (they phoned, so I walked across the road from work rather than phoning back). They can't find a 2004 Liberty Limited that matches my order, and since they didn't want to order one from the factory when I placed the order (last month) I'm now SOL. I was offered one in Black or Timberline Green neither of which are the Patriot Blue I ordered. I was also given the choice to reduce my options and they'll try again to find one in Patriot Blue... I'm definitely NOT reducing my options!

Here's the kicker. I live in Kitchener, ON. Canada and I've found 3 of them exactly how I want at dealerships in BC (1 in Surrey, 2 in Victoria) but my local dealer is unwilling to bring them in and cited the obvious reason of "cost of shipping" (they pegged it at $2400).
How would you proceed in this case? I've put quite a bit of time into this whole ordeal, and I'm really not wanting to budge on anything, but it's looking like my choices are... limited (no pun intended). So it looks like my options are

Dealers can do asset transfers (basicly trade cars) all they do is stick the truck on the same car hauler that brings them cars and reverse the process.

If your dealer doesn't want to get you the jeep that you want. Cancel the order with them and go to another dealer.

There's no way that you should settle for somthing less then what you want and can Afford.

so I say, Go with option #5 and talk to a diffrent dealer.

PS. Just wondering, why don't you want a CRD?

#7 ·
SpiffBoy said:
so I say, Go with option #5 and talk to a diffrent dealer.
PS. Just wondering, why don't you want a CRD?
CRD?? Dunno really, I just don't. The place that usually get gas from has one diesel pump and the UPS guys all fill up there (not to mention the Uhaul and Ryder trucks since their depots are close by). It's extremely rare that I go to this station and find less then 3 trucks waiting for the diesel pump, so I really wouldn't look forward to waiting 20+ mins each time I get fuel.

More so I don't want that chrome grill that's on the 05 Limited's nor do I want to wait until God knows when to get an 05. I wanted the Liberty for my vacation this year (Aug. 14-21) I REALLY don't want to have to take my neon to the cottage again and nearly wreck it on the roads (neon, modded with true coil-over suspension... reasonably stiff... dirt roads are a no-no).

I like your option #5... go to a different dealer. In fact I like it so much, I've already decided to go across town and talk to one of the other two dealers and see if either of them are willing to bring any of the 3 in. With at least a dozen dealers within an acceptable distance from me, I'm sure to find one that will be willing to do business. I'll see what happens tonight when I get out to visit them.
My sadness has turned somewhat upbeat. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wouldn't back down and take what was offered. I felt like maybe I was being a bit ridiculous and demanding EXACTLY what I wanted. Now I feel like it's my right to hold out for what I'm after and nothing less, thanks for the support guys.

#8 ·
4Factor said:
CRD?? Dunno really, I just don't. The place that usually get gas from has one diesel pump and the UPS guys all fill up there (not to mention the Uhaul and Ryder trucks since their depots are close by). It's extremely rare that I go to this station and find less then 3 trucks waiting for the diesel pump, so I really wouldn't look forward to waiting 20+ mins each time I get fuel.

More so I don't want that chrome grill that's on the 05 Limited's nor do I want to wait until God knows when to get an 05. I wanted the Liberty for my vacation this year (Aug. 14-21) I REALLY don't want to have to take my neon to the cottage again and nearly wreck it on the roads (neon, modded with true coil-over suspension... reasonably stiff... dirt roads are a no-no).

I like your option #5... go to a different dealer. In fact I like it so much, I've already decided to go across town and talk to one of the other two dealers and see if either of them are willing to bring any of the 3 in. With at least a dozen dealers within an acceptable distance from me, I'm sure to find one that will be willing to do business. I'll see what happens tonight when I get out to visit them.
My sadness has turned somewhat upbeat. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wouldn't back down and take what was offered. I felt like maybe I was being a bit ridiculous and demanding EXACTLY what I wanted. Now I feel like it's my right to hold out for what I'm after and nothing less, thanks for the support guys.
w00t! Congrats on finding a dealer that will work with you!

A neon, eh? 1st gen? What type of suspension? KW or ground control?

I feel your pain with taking a neon on dirt roads. I have a 98 Coupe with mopar high rate fronts and x-high rears on arvin/ACR struts. Before the new suspension, it was fun on the dirt roads. Now... well... I got a pair of jeeps for a reason.

Hit me up on AIM if you ever wanna talk jeeps or neon perofmance.

#9 ·
Blue is the best color in the world. if they are not willing to get what you want then go and get it from somewhere else. I had to do the same thing when I bought my jeep. That blue must be a very popular color. If the dealership won't help you then they don't deserve your business.

#10 ·
mine is a maroon color and had to be delivered from Seattle, Wa.....about 400 miles away. The dealership hired someone to drive it over.....They told me it was some white haired old guy that never drives faster than 60mph......(should I believe that?) Anyway...it got here safely and I've been enjoying it ever since. Case in point....If the dealer wants your business then they'll do just about anything to please the customer.

#11 · (Edited)
SpiffBoy said:
w00t! Congrats on finding a dealer that will work with you!
A neon, eh? 1st gen? What type of suspension? KW or ground control?
I feel your pain with taking a neon on dirt roads. I have a 98 Coupe with mopar high rate fronts and x-high rears on arvin/ACR struts. Before the new suspension, it was fun on the dirt roads. Now... well... I got a pair of jeeps for a reason.
Dealer that works with me... you're being sarcastic right? I haven't found one yet that doesn't want to only sell you what's on their lot (maybe tonight I'll find one). It's usually one of those "well son, that's what we have and we ain't getting anymore, take it or leave it". Guess what pal... I'm leaving!!

<OFFTOPIC>
Heh... neons.. yeah, a hell of a lot of fun in a small package. Mine's a '97. I actually went with Image Performance Coilovers they were a lot less than the KW's... about half the price. Combine the coilovers with my Energy Suspension full bushing kit some Eibach Sway Bars and 17" wheels (205/40r17) and you're talking one stiff ride. Fun for around town but absolutely hell on the dirt.
A while back I went down this 26km long washboard dirt road. I hit the dirt at 20km/h and it was tearing the car apart, but at 80+ km/h it was smooth (don't even ask why I tried going faster, I just did and it worked). Problem was controlling the car in the dirt at those speeds. I felt like I was in some sort of crazy WRC race... fun, yet dangerous, and my 2 passengers were cringing at every slide (yet they congratulated me on some excellent driving when it was all over :confused: ).
</ OFFTOPIC>

Anyways, the Liberty is definitely more suited to roads like this, hence the reason I need to have it for this years vacation (although I'm not going back to that 26km dirt road just yet).

Oh and the neon's being kept... not sold, traded or parted... it's too much fun to give it up. It's practically worthless on the sell/trade, so it's mine forever. I expect the Liberty to follow suit and when it crests the 200,000kms (neon's at 230,000) I can say the same about it. Maybe at that time I'll look back and say "remember when we wheeled here... oh and remember when we wheeled there... those were the days!"

#12 ·
Steven73 said:
mine is a maroon color and had to be delivered from Seattle, Wa.....about 400 miles away. The dealership hired someone to drive it over.....They told me it was some white haired old guy that never drives faster than 60mph......(should I believe that?) Anyway...it got here safely and I've been enjoying it ever since. Case in point....If the dealer wants your business then they'll do just about anything to please the customer.
You're right, I think I'm going to take my business to a place that wants my money and is prepared to work hard to get it.

400 miles is quite a distance, but in my case I'd prefer if they'd ship this one! :) I just did the Mapquest on it, and it's looking like this (to Kitchener, ON)
Surrey, BC: 2649 miles (39h57m)
Victoria, BC: 2677 miles (43h09m) includes a ferry ride!

If they drove it here, I'd miss the most crucial part of why I'm buying new... the first 1000 kilometers! If I can't control how the engine (and driveline) is treated over it's most crucial break in period, then I'd rather not have it (up to 100 kms on the clock I can handle, more than that I'd likely turn it down). I've thought about it for a long time and here's what I've come up with.

Buying used = getting someone else's problems. Not often people sell a perfectly good working vehicle. Maybe 1 in a million, most people only sell vehicles that have at least one thing about them that they can't stand any longer. You've just gotta decide whether you can live with the faults that they couldn't.

Buying new = The benefit of knowing exactly everything that's gone on with the vehicle, there are no hidden suprises. You don't find out later about things like "yes, this has been in an accident before... that lying seller said it hadn't!". The only drawback is, you pay for it in the form of a depreciation (sometimes quite a bit). The depreciation only matters if you're going to be selling it in the near future. Since I plan on keeping it until it's more than dead, I don't feel the depreciation factor matters to me, I'd rather ante up a bit more for the peace of mind that the vehicle wasn't ruined by someone else.

#13 ·
4Factor said:
You're right, I think I'm going to take my business to a place that wants my money and is prepared to work hard to get it.

400 miles is quite a distance, but in my case I'd prefer if they'd ship this one! :) I just did the Mapquest on it, and it's looking like this (to Kitchener, ON)
Surrey, BC: 2649 miles (39h57m)
Victoria, BC: 2677 miles (43h09m) includes a ferry ride!

If they drove it here, I'd miss the most crucial part of why I'm buying new... the first 1000 kilometers! If I can't control how the engine (and driveline) is treated over it's most crucial break in period, then I'd rather not have it (up to 100 kms on the clock I can handle, more than that I'd likely turn it down). I've thought about it for a long time and here's what I've come up with.

Buying used = getting someone else's problems. Not often people sell a perfectly good working vehicle. Maybe 1 in a million, most people only sell vehicles that have at least one thing about them that they can't stand any longer. You've just gotta decide whether you can live with the faults that they couldn't.

Buying new = The benefit of knowing exactly everything that's gone on with the vehicle, there are no hidden suprises. You don't find out later about things like "yes, this has been in an accident before... that lying seller said it hadn't!". The only drawback is, you pay for it in the form of a depreciation (sometimes quite a bit). The depreciation only matters if you're going to be selling it in the near future. Since I plan on keeping it until it's more than dead, I don't feel the depreciation factor matters to me, I'd rather ante up a bit more for the peace of mind that the vehicle wasn't ruined by someone else.
i agree...used vehicles are nothing but trouble for the most part. I have a 1975 Triumph TR6 to prove that point. It took me 18 years and a lot of heartaches and headaches to get that running right! :brickwall

#14 ·
4Factor said:
They can't find a 2004 Liberty Limited that matches my order, and since they didn't want to order one from the factory when I placed the order (last month) I'm now SOL.
Once I heard that, I would have walked out. There isnt another dealership that you can go to, that will order exactly what you want? When I got my catus green renny.....I sat there and got what I wanted, the salemens didnt even have to be there, I could have did it myself. Just my 2 cents to you, if thats what you want, dont settle for anything other then what you wanted, because everytime u see another libby have something YOU wanted, you are just gonna be mad at yourself. Good luck.

#15 ·
Sucks man--wish I could help somehow.

I don't agree with you on the CRD--I think its the wave of the future for the Jeep world. I just attended Camp Jeep and I got an intense vibe that we are gonna see alot more of the CRD.
Unfortunately, DC is worried the CRD won't sell, so they are only producing 5000 of the CRD's for the '05 model year, kind of sticking thier toes in the water to see how it sells. One engineer (a wrangler engineer no less), pretty much came out without saying it that the future wranglers may have some kind of CRD engine. It makes total sense, a fix to the horrendous gas mileage the 2.5 and 4.0Ls get, unprecedented torque, and adequate power. I think its a dream fit for the Wrangler. I can't wait to test drive the '05 Libs. We bought our 04 Liberty and 2 weeks later announced the CRD. I can't help wondering "what if" we had waited......

But, sorry for the book, hope this works itself out. I'm following the thread(s) closely.....I hate seeing people get screwed by dealers.....

#17 ·
I sure don't agree that one in a million used cars have nothing wrong with them. I know my Uncle for example has no kids and so he spends his money buying new cars. He trades in a car every six months to a year and they are in perfect condition. Some people lease a car for a year or just like having new cars and have the money to buy new ones.

#18 ·
Repeating What Everyone else said... You're going to drop 20gs on a car, It better be exactly what you want. The coffee at the dealership better be fresh. The trees outside the dealership better be watered. I'd definetly settle for a jeep of an off color, if they offered me a price that was $2,000 lower, so I could go get her painted a week later. Otherwise, forget that. Our jeep dealership just gave my old lady a portable television for going to test drive a car there. That's the service I'm talking about. good luck man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.