Bio diesel in CRD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Bio diesel in CRD

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 09-06-2005, 11:50 AM   #1
4wlrkiller

Bio diesel in CRD

Is anyone running homemade bio-diesel in their Liberty? Just curious, thinking about buying one and manufacturing own fuel. In lieu of rising fuel prices.
__________________________________________________ _____________
92 Cherokee Laredo 3.5" back country lift Peeling *** green paint, lots of rust, lots of dents.
86 Cherokee sport no lift, stock everything, Spider house, no rust though.

4wlrkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wlrkiller
Is anyone running homemade bio-diesel in their Liberty? Just curious, thinking about buying one and manufacturing own fuel. In lieu of rising fuel prices.
__________________________________________________ _____________
92 Cherokee Laredo 3.5" back country lift Peeling *** green paint, lots of rust, lots of dents.
86 Cherokee sport no lift, stock everything, Spider house, no rust though.

I recently red about bio-diesel as well and find it interesting. I hope someone responds. Sorry to be an old lady with grammar, but that last part isn't a sentence, and I think you used "in lieu of" incorrectly.
Unread 09-06-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
4wlrkiller

Yeah well apparently you get the jest of my querry.
4wlrkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
ogaddcb

A few of us went together and bought a FuelMeister. I run Bio-Diesel we brew about 75% of the time. It is basically B-100. When I do not run our home brew I can purchase B-95 about 10 miles from my home. On rare occasions I do have to put petroleum diesel in it and I have had no problems what so ever. It really runs very clean with NO SMOKE on the B-100 / B-95. I have about 13,000 miles on my sport. I did run about 80 hours (say 5600 miles) on B-100/B-95 and the engine oil was very clean.
ogaddcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
root1974

http://www.greasecar.com
root1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2005, 10:02 PM   #6
bbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by root1974
Q What vehicles do you recommend for conversion?
A Our standard systems are designed to work with any diesel passenger vehicle or light truck (custom kits available for larger applications). The most common diesel passenger vehicles in the US are made by Volkswagen and Mercedes. Chevy, Ford, GMC and Dodge all have diesel options on most of their larger pickup trucks. Currently we are not recommending conversion of newer "common rail" or "unit injector" equipped vehicles.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
Diesel Inferno

I just clocked 27.5 MPG on a Hwy trip with the air on.
Unread 09-07-2005, 12:53 AM   #8
longhill

Thanks for the useful info, I just wanted to ask the same question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogaddcb
A few of us went together and bought a FuelMeister. I run Bio-Diesel we brew about 75% of the time. It is basically B-100. When I do not run our home brew I can purchase B-95 about 10 miles from my home. On rare occasions I do have to put petroleum diesel in it and I have had no problems what so ever. It really runs very clean with NO SMOKE on the B-100 / B-95. I have about 13,000 miles on my sport. I did run about 80 hours (say 5600 miles) on B-100/B-95 and the engine oil was very clean.
Thanks again.
longhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2005, 07:29 AM   #9
madmanfrommars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Inferno
I just clocked 27.5 MPG on a Hwy trip with the air on.

[URL=http://staff.filesnetwork.com/madman/CIMG1846.JPG]Illuminating the Night[/URL]

As far as I know, I'm the only person to own a flame red liberty with the light bar, and until someone disproves that to me, I'm going to enjoy it.
madmanfrommars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2005, 02:57 PM   #10
JeepLiberty2005

I'm running Dieselsecret formula in my CRD and getting 23/mpg around town. I run 60 petro/40 Bio and no problems after 1100+ miles.
JeepLiberty2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2005, 02:14 PM   #11
naturist

I am not running homebrew biodiesel in my CRD, but I am a chemist, and have made it and run it in a Jetta TDI without incident. I am currently buying commercially made biodiesel, although I'll probably build an appleseed processor at some point.

I added enough of the commercial biodiesel to the tank of the CRD to bring things up to a 50/50 blend with the 40 cetane crap the dealer put in it, and I can tell you that it made a huge improvement in the sound of the engine. Not to mention it's exhaust smell!

I'm kinda cautious of my rides, and plan to not take the CRD over about 50% for a while, to let everybody else determine if the higher injector pressures in that common rail system play well with biodiesel before attempting to run 100%, like I do in the Jetta.

But then winter is coming on, so I'll probably be running 50% in both during cold weather. Ask me again in the spring . . . .
naturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
JTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7guy
I recently red about bio-diesel as well and find it interesting. I hope someone responds. Sorry to be an old lady with grammar, but that last part isn't a sentence, and I think you used "in lieu of" incorrectly.
Grammar? How about spelling? Did you mean 'read?'
JTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 05:57 PM   #13
Rocketman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM
Grammar? How about spelling? Did you mean 'read?'

JTM: You beet me too the punch.
Unread 09-21-2005, 07:49 PM   #14
danoid
2005 KJ Liberty 

Your CRD came delivered with B5. DCX has tested B20. Anything more than that, don't tell your dealer - cause they'll probably take a dump on your warranty.

2005 CRD Limited Flame Red w/ Renegade rock rails & light bar, AirLift rear helper springs -225/75R16 MT/R's on cheap black steel wheels, dual MOPAR subwoofers & seat covers.

Last edited by danoid; 09-22-2005 at 06:50 PM..
danoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2005, 08:22 PM   #15
pbrutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoid
Your CRD came delivered with B5. DCX has tested B20. Anything more than that, don't tell your dealer - cause they'll probably take a dump on your warranty.
And make sure you don't tell them about that little home-made biodiesel operation, 'cause that will give them cause to drop the warranty no matter what the concentration

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.