Originally Posted by dcxman
However the esp light comes on frequently. Diagnosis blames faulty abs. Anyone else with this?
DATE: September 01, 2005
Rear Axle Fluid May Contaminate The Differential Mounted Rear Wheel Speed
This bulletin involves the replacement of the differential mounted rear
wheel speed sensor
and the replacement of the rear axle fluid.
2005 (KJ) Liberty / Cherokee
The customer may experience a brake/ABS warning light or a Malfunction
(MIL) illumination. On vehicles equipped with an Anti-Lock Brake System
(ABS), a Red
brake light and/or an Amber ABS light may illuminate and remain on. On
equipped with ABS, the MIL may illuminate. The MIL may be due to DTC P0501 -
Speed Signal Performance / Vehicle Speed Sensor Plausibility.
The above condition may be due a rear differential mounted rear wheel speed
may be contaminated by the rear axle fluid.
Using the diagnostic Service Info procedures available on TechCONNECT, if
diagnosis determines that the rear wheel speed sensor requires replacement,
the Repair Procedure.
Qty. Part No. Description
1 56041393AA Sensor, Wheel Speed (rear)
1 05086373AA O-Ring, Sensor
1 05013477AA Axle RTV
1 04897151AB Brake Parts Cleaner - Non-Chlorinated VOC
AR (3) 05010320AA Lubricant, Mopar Synthetic Gear - 75W-90
AR (3) 04874469 Lubricant, Mopar Synthetic Gear & Axle -
75W-140 (if towing)
AR (1) 04318060AB Limited Slip Additive (if Trac-Lok Equipped)
DATE: September 01, 2005
1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable from the battery.
2. Raise the vehicle on a suitable lift.
3. Remove the rear axle differential housing cover.
4. Thoroughly clean the axle, differential, and differential cover of old
oil, debris, and
5. Remove the rear wheel speed sensor electrical connector. Remove the
6. Install the new O-ring, p/n 05086373AA, to the new rear wheel speed
7. Lubricate the new rear wheel speed sensor and O-ring
8. Install the new rear wheel speed sensor, p/n 56041393AA, to the axle.
attaching bolt to 9 Nm (80 in. lbs.).
9. Verify that the seal is securely in place between the sensor and wiring
Install the sensor electrical connector to the sensor.
10. Apply a bead of Axle RTV sealant, p/n 05013477AA, to the differential
CAUTION: If cover is not installed within 3 to 5 minutes of new RTV sealant
application, the cover must be cleaned and new RTV sealant applied.
Failure to follow instructions will cause a leak.
11. Install the cover and identification tag. Tighten cover bolts in a
criss-cross pattern to 41
Nm (30 ft. lbs.).
12. If not already removed, remove the fill plug.
13. If axle is equipped with a Trac-Lok differential, install 4 oz. of
Limited Slip Additive to
14. Fill the axle differential with the correct axle lubricant.
15. Install the fill plug.
16. Verify that the rear wheel speed sensor and differential housing cover
17. Lower vehicle.
18. Connect the negative battery cable to the battery. Set the clock to the
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
08-19-15-90 Sensor, Differential Mounted Rear Wheel Speed -
and Rear Axle Fluid - Replace
71 Oil Leak