Best winter tires for the 2003-2004 Jeep Liberty Limited? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Best winter tires for the 2003-2004 Jeep Liberty Limited?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Krissypoo29

Best winter tires for the 2003-2004 Jeep Liberty Limited?

I heard that Nokians Hakka are the best. But what about Michelins X-ice? My dad is a mechanic and hasn't heard of Nokians and swears by the Michelins, but I think I may go the other way on this one.

Also the tire guy asked me which size of tire. 15" or 17". I have no idea since my Jeep won't be ready for me until another 3 weeks. Question is are they generally 15" unless you mod your jeep or something? Or is it random, and some jeeps have 15 and others have 17?

Confused.

As for the tires, I want something that is great in the snow or slush. One that grips and has better handling then the other.

Krissypoo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

Depends on the rims. Limiteds tend to come with the 17's, at least mine did. Can't give an opinion on Winters, just went with some good All Terrain and left it at that when I had to switch them out.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Krissypoo29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarthol View Post
Depends on the rims. Limiteds tend to come with the 17's, at least mine did. Can't give an opinion on Winters, just went with some good All Terrain and left it at that when I had to switch them out.
If I order rims to go with the winter tires then will the 235/70R16 be fine? And if I get these ones does that mean the tires will look really small, or the rims have nothing to do with the tire size? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question lol
Krissypoo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

KJ's came only with 16" rims with a option for 17" rims.I have a Limited and it came with 16" rims.

I've seen and drove vehicles with those junk Michelins X-ice tires,never been a fan of any Michelin tire,and Blizzaks and the Blizzaks are twice the tire and cheaper.
Unread 11-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissypoo29 View Post
I heard that Nokians Hakka are the best. But what about Michelins X-ice? My dad is a mechanic and hasn't heard of Nokians and swears by the Michelins, but I think I may go the other way on this one.

Also the tire guy asked me which size of tire. 15" or 17". I have no idea since my Jeep won't be ready for me until another 3 weeks. Question is are they generally 15" unless you mod your jeep or something? Or is it random, and some jeeps have 15 and others have 17?

Confused.

As for the tires, I want something that is great in the snow or slush. One that grips and has better handling then the other.
Yah, 16's are the normal on most KJ's.

I have been quite surprised with the all around performance of GY Silent Armor tires on my 05 CRD. Slush, deep snow, ice, and even did better than expected when temps hit -30F. Might be worth looking at.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
Jeepguy4276

Yep, 16" is standard. Tire size varies on trim and options. I run 235-70-16 (stock size on mine). I live in North Dakota so I do have some experience with snow tires. I had nokians on one of my cars 2-3 years ago. They were good. The vehicles I've driven with the michelins I have not been impressed with at all especially for the money, although they were actually pretty quiet I thought. I would definitely go with the nokians of those two. With the exception of some Pirelli's I've had, the blizzaks have been the best I've driven on for pretty much any vehicle (car, truck, SUV). I really have been pleased with them.

However, I usually don't run snow tires on my trucks if they are 4wd. I pick a good all terrain tire. My choice is strongly influenced by the tire's winter performance. If I lived in Arizona, I'd want an AT tires with better sand or rock performance. In Georgia I'd probably want better mud performance. Here, I want a good AT tire with better winter performance. I have been really pleased with the tires I have on the liberty ('02 sport 4x4) now. They have done everything well but handle the winter conditions better than most AT's I've run. I really have been impressed with their ability. Snow and ice traction is great. They are 235-70-16 hankook dynapro AT m's. they perform great, have kind of bulky aggressive look. Road noise isn't bad. My new choice for AT tires for sure. I've run several sets of Firestone destination AT's on hunting trucks and really like them also. Great winter tire and good AT performance. Not as aggressive as the dynapro so quieter, but Avery good tire. If I picked up another liberty, I'd put the fynapro's on it with out question.

Hope that gives you some ideas and helps you.
Jeepguy4276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Just keep in mind there is no perfect tire that does everything good. Dedicated snow tires will perform the best, especially with studs. All terrain tires can vary dramatically in performance. I've seen some with a lot of sipes in the tire that will grip good, and I've seen some with none, and they suck. I've seen almost magical performance in snow with the pep boys Dakota A/T tires. Made by Cooper, and not real pricey, they work. Not a real strong sidewall for rock crawling.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.