Best replacement tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Best replacement tires

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-08-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
Kath113

Best replacement tires

The stock tires on our 04 Liberty suck....well, the tread is low too so of course that sucks about them. They are ready to be replaced. I'd like some input as to what tires work well with this vehicle. These are all over the road in the rain...can't hold a corner to save my life I'd like some tires to definitely have better grip in the rain. Stock set up on our Liberty....no lift kit or anything. Thanks for any advice!

Kath113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
BVCRD

Depends on how much you have to spend. The Bridgestone Revo is hard to beat on rain and/or ice. It is a high mileage tire and I know folks who have over 60,000 miles on theirs. That is what I am putting on mine. They aren't cheap. Money wise, the Grabber II is a bang for the buck tire. Lots on here love them. Go to tirerack.com to find out more.
Unread 10-08-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Just a note, the General Grabber AT2, good tire, good price, available at Wally's.
dcxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
TJJIM79
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcxman
Just a note, the General Grabber AT2, good tire, good price, available at Wally's.
I also have the Grabber AT2 but wasn't avail at my local Walmart But still only paid $428 for 4 tires, shipping and m&b!! SWEET tire!!
TJJIM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

I have Uniroyal Liberators on my XJ. They are great in foul weather and decent offroad. ~$350 for a set of four at Wally's.
Unread 10-09-2006, 05:27 AM   #6
ronsjeep

I've been running the Grabber AT2's for about 3 weeks now, replaced the stock Wranglers @ 60k. They are great, no problems and it's a night and day difference over stock.
ronsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 07:13 AM   #7
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJjim
I also have the Grabber AT2 but wasn't avail at my local Walmart But still only paid $428 for 4 tires, shipping and m&b!! SWEET tire!!
Did you ask if they could order them? Thats what I had to do. Took
less than a week to come in. I replaced all five tires with 245/70/16.
Total cost with new valve stem and lifetime balance and rotation was
$505 tax included.
Unread 10-09-2006, 07:46 AM   #8
cerich

Quote:
$505 tax included.
Same here except I got the 225/75/16's. 3k miles now they still look like new (mind you thats 3k in less than 3 weeks...)

They were less than the uniroyals Liberators at Walmart and a better tire. I have had Liberators on another vehicle and while they are a good tire (esp at the price) the General Grabber AT2 is worlds apart.
cerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #9
TJJIM79
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
$505 tax included.
The lady that answered the phone was real short with me and didn't even mention that they can order them in, so I opted to order them in. I am sure that I din't pay too much more, and I rotate my tires every time I change my oil so I am good with that
TJJIM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #10
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerich
Same here except I got the 225/75/16's. 3k miles now they still look like new (mind you thats 3k in less than 3 weeks...)

They were less than the uniroyals Liberators at Walmart and a better tire. I have had Liberators on another vehicle and while they are a good tire (esp at the price) the General Grabber AT2 is worlds apart.
Yeah I have 4k on mine with no noticible wear. Boy are they grabbers. I used to be
able to put the jeep in neutral and it would roll itself out of the garage. Now, I have
to push hard. That probably effects mileage, but so what. The peace of mind having good traction in all conditions is priceless.
Unread 10-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #11
BVCRD

Quote:
Yeah I have 4k on mine with no noticible wear. Boy are they grabbers. I used to be
able to put the jeep in neutral and it would roll itself out of the garage. Now, I have
to push hard. That probably effects mileage, but so what. The peace of mind having good traction in all conditions is priceless.

Yea, sometimes LESS rolling resistance on a dark, ice road is not desireable.
Unread 10-09-2006, 06:26 PM   #12
scubasteve1416

I have a 05 KJ Renegade and i am using Toyo AT Open Countrys (245/70/R16) and they are amazing, great all around traction on dry/wet pavement and also amazing off-road too. Definately worth it and actually they were expensive at all 400 out the door at belle tire.
scubasteve1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #13
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve1416
I have a 05 KJ Renegade and i am using Toyo AT Open Countrys (245/70/R16) and they are amazing, great all around traction on dry/wet pavement and also amazing off-road too. Definately worth it and actually they were expensive at all 400 out the door at belle tire.
Heh.

I'm on the edge about treadwear. I estimate they are about half worn at 16k. Not too happy about that, but what can you do?

I know... not buy them again.
Unread 10-10-2006, 01:47 AM   #14
polivo

Yokohama Geolanders. They look great, were cheap and look much wider than stock. I have a picture up on one of my other posts.. but the search is down.. sorry.
polivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 07:41 AM   #15
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by polivo
Yokohama Geolanders. They look great, were cheap and look much wider than stock. I have a picture up on one of my other posts.. but the search is down.. sorry.

On the tire rack site, a person claims to have had them and were disappointed with the excess wear. Anyone else had similar experiences?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.