Before and After pics! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Before and After pics!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
Forest_L
2003 KJ Liberty 

Before and After pics!

Before and After

Forest_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #2
01CHEEKEE
2004 KJ Liberty 

Did u measure ur spring height before install? Where did ya pick it up? I'm back and forth between daystar and full lift, just not sure if I wanna drop nearly a thousand, or more, for a mild lift on this KJ which realistically won't see a whole lot of wheeling...
01CHEEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
Forest_L
2003 KJ Liberty 

Before the install I was at 18.5" from the center of the wheel to the fender flare. Now Im at 21.5" between center of the wheel and the flare. Im not sure how I got 3" out of a 2.5" lift but Im not going to complain about it. ;-)
Unread 01-29-2011, 03:01 AM   #4
Forest_L
2003 KJ Liberty 

I got the lift kit at AutoPartsDealer.com for $135 lol I was bouncing around for awhile on what lift to get but I seen bad reviews on basically every lift I looked at. So I went with the spacer lift and put new shocks and struts in. Hope this helps
Unread 01-29-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
01CHEEKEE
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yeah, good info...like I said I can't justify a thousand + on the KJ...prob gonna check these out and pick up new shocks/struts as well...might as well while it's up in the air putting the spacers on...
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01CHEEKEE View Post
Yeah, good info...like I said I can't justify a thousand + on the KJ...prob gonna check these out and pick up new shocks/struts as well...might as well while it's up in the air putting the spacers on...
4 OME coils 4 Bilstien shocks are around 700 where do you get over a thousand?
Bring me a 1000 and I'll install a great lift for you with alignment and everything done, drive in, drive out
and again by the time you buy a spacer kit, 4 shocks you're 3/4 of the way to a real lift with new coils
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_L View Post
Before the install I was at 18.5" from the center of the wheel to the fender flare. Now Im at 21.5" between center of the wheel and the flare. Im not sure how I got 3" out of a 2.5" lift but Im not going to complain about it. ;-)
So now you are 2 inch above stock, which is 19.25-19.50 So you didn't get 3 inches of lift really, well you did from your sagged out springs
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_L View Post
I got the lift kit at AutoPartsDealer.com for $135 lol I was bouncing around for awhile on what lift to get but I seen bad reviews on basically every lift I looked at. So I went with the spacer lift and put new shocks and struts in. Hope this helps
I would say i would be real hard to see a bad review on any OME or BDS full spring lift.
If you bought new shocks all the way around for another 160 -180 dollars you would of had a full spring lift and way better ride and handling and will last 10 times longer
Unread 01-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
So now you are 2 inch above stock, which is 19.25-19.50 So you didn't get 3 inches of lift really, well you did from your sagged out springs
Tom,

But he didn't replace the springs, did he? I gathered only the spacer lift was installed, using the factory coils.

Forest L,

How many miles do you have on the stock springs? That looks like a lot of lift for a 2.5" spacer set up (I have the same Daystar lift). It seems like you have ZERO to very little sag which would be rare for a 2003.

I have a 2004 with 82k and the Daystar spacers, and it has dropped about half an inch or so. Rear shocks are Ranchos (for a Durango/Dakota) and the front are stock (which will be replaced soon).

Very nice btw!
Cards81fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yes from what he stated only spacer was installed thought thats what I said? He stated he got 3 inches which there is no way

Plus he said he was at 18.5 so he had sagged at least an inch from stock
Unread 01-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
01CHEEKEE
2004 KJ Liberty 

Is it really too hard to say, "wow looks good, congrats"
Unread 01-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Do you want the truth?
Sure it looks OK, but you are the one who brought up not wanting to spend 1000 bucks, too many think the spacer lift is the cheap way to go when in fact its not. Just trying to show "you" what a lift costs
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Yes from what he stated only spacer was installed thought thats what I said?
You said:
Quote:
you didn't get 3 inches of lift really, well you did from your sagged out springs
and he has a 2.5" lift.

If one had sagged springs and put on a 2.5" lift, they could net 3" if it involved new springs. That is how I interpreted what you said (new springs), which wasn't what you meant. But it is just semantics and a misunderstanding, no biggie.

One can criticize the ride of a spacer lift, but a spacer done correctly (like the Daystar, not the OTT or others) with correct travel shocks (like OME or retrofitted Ranchos) rides as well as stock. That is fine by me. Granted it won't articulate as well as new lifted coil springs, but for my purposes (forest roads/trails, not rock crawling or any severe off roading) the increased ground clearance from fitting larger tires is the goal, not necessarily the articulation (I would have gone with a solid axle if I needed that, really).

At $210 for the lift, $100 for new Rancho rear shocks, you are hardly in for "3/4 of the way to" the price of a OME or Frankenlift with $310 invested. Even with new front struts (RS5764at $150 a pair) you are in for $460, which is less than half of the Franklenlift. If/when the OEM springs sag enough to need replacement (mine are strong after 84k miles and over 6 years), I really don't anticipate much of an issue getting newer low-mileage pulls from other KJs getting lifts installed. People give them up easily once a little green is thrown their way.

Saying it is inferior to a full spring lift is true. But saying it is a waste of money is a bit of a stretch, if one understands and accepts the benefits and limitations of the spacer lift configuration.
Cards81fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #14
teamfast
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards81fan View Post
You said:and he has a 2.5" lift.

If one had sagged springs and put on a 2.5" lift, they could net 3" if it involved new springs. That is how I interpreted what you said (new springs), which wasn't what you meant. But it is just semantics and a misunderstanding, no biggie.

One can criticize the ride of a spacer lift, but a spacer done correctly (like the Daystar, not the OTT or others) with correct travel shocks (like OME or retrofitted Ranchos) rides as well as stock. That is fine by me. Granted it won't articulate as well as new lifted coil springs, but for my purposes (forest roads/trails, not rock crawling or any severe off roading) the increased ground clearance from fitting larger tires is the goal, not necessarily the articulation (I would have gone with a solid axle if I needed that, really).

At $210 for the lift, $100 for new Rancho rear shocks, you are hardly in for "3/4 of the way to" the price of a OME or Frankenlift with $310 invested. Even with new front struts (RS5764at $150 a pair) you are in for $460, which is less than half of the Franklenlift. If/when the OEM springs sag enough to need replacement (mine are strong after 84k miles and over 6 years), I really don't anticipate much of an issue getting newer low-mileage pulls from other KJs getting lifts installed. People give them up easily once a little green is thrown their way.

Saying it is inferior to a full spring lift is true. But saying it is a waste of money is a bit of a stretch, if one understands and accepts the benefits and limitations of the spacer lift configuration.
x2
teamfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #15
bigjimslade
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards81fan View Post

I would agree with the second statement. Some people are going to be OK with a space lift, end of story.

However, relating to cost. tommudd has posted several times that you can get a new spring/shock setup for under $700. So if you skipped the spacer setup and were close to spending $500 you could spend about $200 more and get a better setup since eventually you would need to replace the stock springs you end up better off. Plus reports seem to indicate the OME springs last 2-3 times as long as stock.

Oh and by the way...congrats! Looks good!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.