Battery draining - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Battery draining

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 09-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #1
toaster61

Battery draining

Hi - we have an 04 Liberty (Cherokee here in UK) 2.8 CRD Ltd - I put in a new optima battery a year or two ago which should be fine in itself but we find that if we don't run the vehicle every few days, the battery gets drained and I can't find anything obvious that should be doing it (ie lights are off etc) - this week it was run last Sunday and yesterday the whole thing was /completely/ dead. Recharged now, it's fine. How can I find out exactly what it is that is pulling all the juice out of it?

T

toaster61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster61 View Post
Hi - we have an 04 Liberty (Cherokee here in UK) 2.8 CRD Ltd - I put in a new optima battery a year or two ago which should be fine in itself but we find that if we don't run the vehicle every few days, the battery gets drained and I can't find anything obvious that should be doing it (ie lights are off etc) - this week it was run last Sunday and yesterday the whole thing was /completely/ dead. Recharged now, it's fine. How can I find out exactly what it is that is pulling all the juice out of it?

T

First have the battery tested properly....Optima have picked up a bad reputation lately. The battery could have low internal resistance so it is draining itself. Then check that at idle the battery has a voltage of about 13.6 volts across it.

Then you need to put an Ohm meter in series with the battery....do not start the Jeep...and measure what milli amps you are drawing...should be less than 30 ma......you may need to monitor this voltage while driving with a voltmeter plugged into your front cigar lighter/power point.

If it is drawing much higher current than 30 ma at standstill then it could be your anti-theft/immobilisor/radio.

Either way you now have to pull out fuses one by on to see where the bulk of the current draw is going but first start by disconnecting the alternator...you may have a bad diode there.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.