Batteries Keep Failing after 1-2 years - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Batteries Keep Failing after 1-2 years

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
mwtucker

Batteries Keep Failing after 1-2 years

Hi,

I am the original owner of a 2004 Liberty. Best car that I've ever owned although the battery keeps failing after about 1-2 years. I have been through 2 "low-cost" batteries and just installed my third DieHard. Each time there is no indication that the battery is "weak" (i.e. all starts are strong, lights bright, etc.). When the battery fails it always happens when the starter is first engaged. At first it tries to turn over the starter but there is not enough energy (even though the previous start was fine--no indications of slow cranking, etc). Subsequent tries just result in "clicks". I take the battery out and take it to the place I purchased it, they put it on the tester and say that the battery has failed (i.e. not just in need of a recharge). They give me a new battery (in-warranty) and that one lasts 1-2 years. I have measured the voltage on the battery when the engine is off (about 12.5 volts) and when the engine is running (about 14.5 volts). I believe that the alternator is charging the battery OK. I never see any trouble lights on the dash related to the electrical system. Could the alternator/voltage regulator be over-charging the battery? I have had enough of these 1-2 year batteries that I am suspecting that it is something in the vehicle and not in the battery.

I live in North Carolina (not a harsh environment) and the vehicle is driven about 50 miles several times a week.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Mike

mwtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Low cost batteries tend to fail alot sooner. Also, depending on what diehard battery you are buying, some of them are suspect on quality as well. The pcm is what controls charging voltage on your jeep, and relies on the battery temp sensor, as well as loads, etc to charge the battery. Make sure your battery terminals are spotlessly clean as well, and that you are using the correct group size battery.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

You need to plug your voltmeter into the front cigar lighter/power outlet so as to keep an eye on your charging voltage while driving.
The PCM will complain ie. "beep" if the charge voltage reaches 17 volts but it could be possible that at times you are running just under that 17 volts level.

I had some wiring problems that caused the charge voltage to go up to 17 volts every time I turn on the front wipers or turned on the air-con.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.