Average MPG... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Average MPG...

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 05-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
02jeepliberty

Average MPG...

I have the OTIS overhead console and I was looking at the Average MPG and accidentally hit the reset button. It immediately went to "0.0" and stayed their till I drove. Then it bounced back up to 12.7 and has slowly been going up...keep in mind before I hit the reset button, it was at 14.1...now it's in the 15.6-7 range and constantly goes up or down depending on what I do. If I accelerate quickly it goes down .1 or .2 then goes back once I'm up at speed. So my question is, is it normal for it to react that way if the reset button is hit? Is it normal for it to go up and down as quickly as it is? And is it accurate? Remember before it was in the 14 range, now it's in the high 15 range...any help will be MUCH appreciated!
Nathan

02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yes, because your average is now based on much less driving time. At first it behaves much like instant MPG because it doesnt have anything to average against.
Unread 05-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanc
Yes, because your average is now based on much less driving time. At first it behaves much like instant MPG because it doesnt have anything to average against.
okay, so how long will in generally take till it stops going up and down so quickly? And then what it is doing is normal then, right?
Unread 05-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty
okay, so how long will in generally take till it stops going up and down so quickly? And then what it is doing is normal then, right?
it, not in**
Unread 05-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty View Post
That reading is the average mpg's for the mileage driven,that mileage re-started at 0 when you hit reset.Expect several hundred miles before drastic changes stop but the more miles the less accurate that reading is(not that it's very accurate to begin with) since it's averaging several hundred/thousand miles instead of a few miles.

Basically if you go 1000 miles and all of a sudden your mpg's drop by say 4-5mpg's it will not effect that reading very much and not warn you of a issue since it will take several hundred miles at a much lower mpg to move that average scale.
Unread 05-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

1) Yes, it is normal behavior.
2) In practice it will change slower the longer you drive it without resetting it (how often/far you drive will affect this--erratic driving will as well). Why does it matter, though? Does it bother you (just curious)?

Edit:
I guess Troy and I posted at nearly the same time. I want to add in addition to his explanation that it's probably good to reset after every tank to get a better feel for your MPG, keeping in mind that it's not extremely accurate to begin with.
Unread 05-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

That little indicator will only give you your TOTAL average MPG, it will not change with every fill up. If you want your average each fill up, use your trip meter and divide that by your gallons pumped. As you will tell it will too fluctuate because of your varied driving experiences, i.e. all in-town, partial in-town and highway, or all highway.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanc
1) Yes, it is normal behavior. 2) In practice it will change slower the longer you drive it without resetting it (how often/far you drive will affect this--erratic driving will as well). Why does it matter, though? Does it bother you (just curious)? Edit: I guess Troy and I posted at nearly the same time. I want to add in addition to his explanation that it's probably good to reset after every tank to get a better feel for your MPG, keeping in mind that it's not extremely accurate to begin with.
okay, well it just makes me mad that it moves around a lot. I'm mad at myself that I hit that button, I think I have OCD when it comes to this type of stuff lol
Unread 05-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Change the display setting to outside temp. Problem solved.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #10
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle
Change the display setting to outside temp. Problem solved.
Yes, that always works!
Unread 05-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty View Post
okay, well it just makes me mad that it moves around a lot. I'm mad at myself that I hit that button, I think I have OCD when it comes to this type of stuff lol
Why be mad? It is only "doing it's thing" and will continue to work as an "instant" readout until it registers more miles and settles down to an "average" mpg readout.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #12
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJKJ View Post
Why be mad? It is only "doing it's thing" and will continue to work as an "instant" readout until it registers more miles and settles down to an "average" mpg readout.
Well, i'm not really mad, just disappointed I hit the reset button on accident. I feel like I have to drive like an angel now for it to go back to where it was but I guess it is good I did reset it so I can have an updated readout. I don't care really anymore, it is what it is.It just worried me at first because I didn't know if it was normal, but it makes sense why it's doing that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.