Automatic transmission fluid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Automatic transmission fluid

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
2007LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

Automatic transmission fluid

I have a couple of questions for you guys about my transmission fluid. I have a 2007, 3.7L auto with a transmission cooler. Does anyone know how much fluid it takes to fill when all the fluid is drained? What is the best fluid to use? Is synthetic a good option?

Thanks.

Unread 11-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

1st you need the special dipstick,chart from '07 FSM,and a scan tool that reads the trans temp to even check the fluid level on a '07 KJ.Best just to let the dealership handle this one.

Besides that there is only 1 ATF for your trans and that is ATF+4 only.

The official list of approved ATF+4's for your trans...........

http://centerforqa.com/index.php?opt...d=33&Itemid=53
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
2007LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

Thanks TJKJ..... was just hoping to bypass that dealer bit as they have a tendency of trying to create work for themselves and I'm not totally trusting.....
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007LIB View Post
Thanks TJKJ..... was just hoping to bypass that dealer bit as they have a tendency of trying to create work for themselves and I'm not totally trusting.....
Even though I have access to the correct flush machines(at work) and can do it very cheap I choose to have the dealership flush my trans and coolant.One reason is the correct fluids are used and 2nd you get a warranty.

Just do what I do,go in and state you want a trans flush done and that is it,no inspection at all.Make it very clear to them not to even look at anything else on the vehicle,not even the air pressure in the tires as you will not buy anything or even listen to any recommendations they have.But be nice about it.
Unread 11-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
2007LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Just do what I do,go in and state you want a trans flush done and that is it,no inspection at all.Make it very clear to them not to even look at anything else on the vehicle,not even the air pressure in the tires as you will not buy anything or even listen to any recommendations they have.But be nice about it.
Thanks... will take your advice.
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
2007LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

Just an update.... Checked out a few transmission and oil change shops as well as the dealer and found out that none of them want to do the flush on the transmission oil. The closest dealer won't touch it. Some shops will do it but it will cost more than the regular service and does not include the new filter.
The oil pan is also prone to rust out up here.
I have decided to use the dealer ($40 more) and will be changing the pan as it is rusting out.
Question...Does the transmission need to be reprogrammed for the shift points (dealer says they do) after a service?
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007LIB View Post
Just an update.... Checked out a few transmission and oil change shops as well as the dealer and found out that none of them want to do the flush on the transmission oil. The closest dealer won't touch it. Some shops will do it but it will cost more than the regular service and does not include the new filter.
The oil pan is also prone to rust out up here.
I have decided to use the dealer ($40 more) and will be changing the pan as it is rusting out.
Question...Does the transmission need to be reprogrammed for the shift points (dealer says they do) after a service?
Most shops,even dealerships,will not do flushes if you have higher miles with no records of a service being done before.

As far as the trans relearn it's a good thing but mainly needed for the KJ's with the 45RFE/545RFE trans,not really needed for the 42RLE which you have.
Unread 11-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
2007LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

Thanks.....
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
2007LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

Finally Bit the bullet and went to the dealer and got my transmission service done as well as replaced the pan (rusted out).....Surprise... It actually cost less than quotedand they were very nice and even let me know that I had a licence plate light out(no charge). The great thing is they put the note on the bill and did not even suggest they fix it when I paid for the service....Bought the light and replaced it myself....Will go back for other stuff I can't do myself at least for pricing. A local transmission shop would have been $3 cheaper.... Goes to show it never hurts to shop around even at the dealers.
Unread 12-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
x99j

Keep ur eye out for harsh down shifting. If you have any you will need the re-learn. But it sounds like you got away with not needing one! mike

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
2007LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by x99j View Post
Keep ur eye out for harsh down shifting. If you have any you will need the re-learn. But it sounds like you got away with not needing one! mike
Thanks for the heads up but part of the service was the re-learn....So far the transmission shifts smoother that it did before

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.