Anyway to disable the tire pressure monitor system or TPM :) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Anyway to disable the tire pressure monitor system or TPM :)

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.comAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 01-30-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
lbrty13

Anyway to disable the tire pressure monitor system or TPM :)

Subject says it all....... i put some aftermarket wheels on my '05 Libby and now have to deal with the annoying light on my dash and quick beep error code from the EVIC....... not a big deal, but annoying enough.

lbrty13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
hyedipin

Hi, Couldn't they put them on the new wheels for you? I thought they were removable.
hyedipin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
Diesel Inferno

I would ask why they didnt put them on the new wheels first. I do think the light can be turned off by the Dealer via the cars CPU.
Unread 01-31-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
hyedipin

and also any pictures you can show us, which kind of wheels you've got
Unread 01-31-2006, 07:05 PM   #5
VTNomad
2012 JK Wrangler 

Tpms

It could be the new wheels are steel. The sensors don't work with most steel wheels. I think I read somewhere it is illegal to disable TPMS on 2005 and newer vehicles.
Unread 01-31-2006, 09:46 PM   #6
hyedipin

illegal? that's the first time I hear this. Some people lower it to 20's, I'd hate hearing beep beep beep and flashes overhead while crawling..
Unread 02-01-2006, 06:35 AM   #7
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

I don't know if it is that the wheels are steel or not. Starting in 2007 all passenger vehicles are required by law to have some sort of TPM system onboard. So some are going to have steelies and some are not. I don't see DCX using 2 different TPM systems. The TPM sensors should work with steels as the valve stem part that sticks out of the wheel is the antennae.
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
VTNomad
2012 JK Wrangler 

Tpms

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...nalrule.6.html

SUMMARY: This final rule establishes a new Federal motor vehicle safety standard (FMVSS) requiring installation of a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) capable of detecting when one or more of a vehicle’s tires is significantly under-inflated. This final rule responds to a mandate in the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability, and Documentation (TREAD) Act. This final rule requires installation in all new light vehicles of a TPMS capable of detecting when one or more of the vehicle’s tires, up to all four tires, is 25 percent or more below the manufacturer’s recommended inflation pressure (placard pressure) or a minimum activation pressure specified in the standard, whichever is higher.

DATES:

Effective Date: This final rule is effective April 8, 2005, except for Subpart G of 49 CFR Part 585, which is effective September 1, 2005.

Compliance Date: Consistent with the phase-in commencing October 5, 2005, all new light vehicles must be equipped with a TPMS that meets the requirements of the standard by September 1, 2007, with the following exceptions. Vehicle manufacturers need not meet the standard’s requirements for the TPMS malfunction indicator and related owner’s manual language until September 1, 2007 (i.e., at the end of the phase-in), and vehicles produced by final-stage manufacturers and alterers must be equipped with a compliant TPMS (including a malfunction indicator) by September 1, 2008. However, manufacturers may voluntarily certify vehicles to FMVSS No. 138 and earn carry-forward credits for compliant vehicles, produced in excess of the phase-in requirements, that are manufactured between April 8, 2005, and the conclusion of the phase-in.

Check your valve stems, if they look like these, then they are the TPMS stems.
Unread 02-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #9
hyedipin

Thanks for the info. It should not be illegal to disable the PSI monitor on EVIC. Jeeps have TPMS on dashboard, EVIC is PSI monitor.
Unread 02-02-2006, 06:51 AM   #10
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

Its not illegal to not have the TPM, you cant turn it off, its part of the wireless control module (or SKREEM module depending on the vehicle) which also controls the transponder in the key and the RKE. Its there to stay, dealers can't disable it and can't reset it. It has to reset on its own when the sensors are in place. The EVIC has nothing to do with the TPM anymore, all it does is display the results.
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2006, 08:37 AM   #11
hyedipin

Good info brandon.
Thanks.
Unread 02-04-2006, 01:00 AM   #12
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

By 2007 or 2010 it will be a standard feature thanks to Ford and there Explorer.
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.