Any IDEAS anyone on exhaust on 05 KJ 3.7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Any IDEAS anyone on exhaust on 05 KJ 3.7

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
Dadseagleeyes
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Any IDEAS anyone on exhaust on 05 KJ 3.7

i just purchased a 2005 Trail Rated 3.7 auto KJ for my wife today and there is a exhaust noise from under it,,the seller said he was told the catalytic conv. was bad,another guy at the parts store said they were common for the down tube pipe causing this problem and noise,, the CEL came on after the 20 mile ride home and i took it to AZ to get the codes pulled and erased,,it had 2 codes for the cat system and the AZ guy said it could just be the down pipe gaskets or the tube itself leaking causing the codes,,has anyone had any experience with this problem on their KJ,,thanks for any and all advice in advance,,,charlie j.

P.S. what is a good budget 2inch lift for these jeeps,i own a TJ but this is our first KJ,looking to do a 1.5 to 2inch lift with maybe 31's any help on this is appreciated

Dadseagleeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

there is not a good budget lift out there, KJ springs start to sag at 30,000 or so and spacers lifts just compound that.
If you want to though Daystar is the best spacer, of course you still have to buy longer rear shocks, might as well replace the fronts as well , you'll need bumpstops in the front to keep from bottoming out the front shocks so all in all for 200 more you have a good OME full spring lift
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Renegade_Dragon
2002 KJ Liberty 

From what tommudd was just telling you, you'll be needing

Daystar Spacers
New Shocks (for the back)
New Struts (for the front)
New Springs (front & back)

You may as well just go with a full kit such as a Frankenlift II or a Frankenlift II Premium depending
on whether you prefer Rancho or OME shocks.

The Frankenlift II comes with Ranco shocks
and the Franky II Premium comes with OME shocks.

Both come with OME Struts.

Another thing to consider is getting a set of JBA - Gen 4.5 Upper A-Arms as this helps to prevent
CV joint failure from the upper control arm hitting the spring on lifted KJ Jeeps.

Here's a thread from 95BadBoy which he just put together recently.
How To: Install Frankenlift II & Al's 4.5 Arms

I've yet to install my Frankenlift as I'm waiting for warmer weather cause of my bad back.

Last edited by Renegade_Dragon; 02-04-2010 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Spelling Mistake due to Dyslexic Keyboard :p
Renegade_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
sevenn07
2005 KJ Liberty 

Flowmaster series 44 muffler
Silver Jeep Member #32
Arkansas Jeep Club Member #32, Go Hogs!
Woo Pig Sooie
sevenn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenn07 View Post
Flowmaster series 44 muffler
That will not fix the pre-cat exhaust leak.
Unread 02-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadseagleeyes View Post
i just purchased a 2005 Trail Rated 3.7 auto KJ for my wife today and there is a exhaust noise from under it,,the seller said he was told the catalytic conv. was bad,another guy at the parts store said they were common for the down tube pipe causing this problem and noise,, the CEL came on after the 20 mile ride home and i took it to AZ to get the codes pulled and erased,,it had 2 codes for the cat system and the AZ guy said it could just be the down pipe gaskets or the tube itself leaking causing the codes,,has anyone had any experience with this problem on their KJ,,thanks for any and all advice in advance,,,charlie j.

P.S. what is a good budget 2inch lift for these jeeps,i own a TJ but this is our first KJ,looking to do a 1.5 to 2inch lift with maybe 31's any help on this is appreciated
If it's got less than 80k miles on it, the cats are under fed warranty. Take it to the stealership to get it checked out.

Also, autozone employees usually have a tough time telling the difference between **** and shinola. Take it to a professional if you lack the resources to diagnose it yourself.
T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
sevenn07
2005 KJ Liberty 

Tis true. Just the best (for a six cylinder) sounding muffler "I know of." As in there may be something else. And I like the crush resistant style! BTW would it be stupid to buy two and run dual exhaust?
Silver Jeep Member #32
Woo Pig Sooie
Unread 02-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Tis true. Just the best (for a six cylinder) sounding muffler "I know of." As in there may be something else. And I like the crush resistant style! BTW would it be stupid to buy two and run dual exhaust?
I personally think flowmasters sound awful,I prefer the MagnaFlow Ultra Race muffler which is very compact(about half the size of the flowmaster).
Unread 02-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
sevenn07
2005 KJ Liberty 

Opinions on the dual exhaust?
Silver Jeep Member #32
Woo Pig Sooie
Unread 02-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Opinions on the dual exhaust?
yeah. The opinion is that the dual exhaust discussion doesn't belong in this thread.
T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
Dadseagleeyes
1997 TJ Wrangler 

d@#$&% the milage is 83753 when i left the lot last night,,just the luck i guess,,,i found this site and this setup if anyone might know if this will work,,(i know it says 2006 but seen somewhere else that 05 and 06 has same setup,,,)

PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts -

i think i will go with the full frankenlift II next week,,but this exhaust is bothering me being she needs to drive to her school 25 miles away and i dont want her stranded or damaging the kj either,,,,
Dadseagleeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #12
Renegade_Dragon
2002 KJ Liberty 

Be sure to replace the lower ball joints with a set of Moog K3199 ball joints as these are more reliable than the factory ones and they can be greased too.

Good Luck with your lift!
Unread 02-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
wildroot
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadseagleeyes View Post
d@#$&% the milage is 83753 when i left the lot last night,,just the luck i guess,,,i found this site and this setup if anyone might know if this will work,,(i know it says 2006 but seen somewhere else that 05 and 06 has same setup,,,)

PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts -

i think i will go with the full frankenlift II next week,,but this exhaust is bothering me being she needs to drive to her school 25 miles away and i dont want her stranded or damaging the kj either,,,,
I would not bet on 05 and 06 being the same until someone guarantees it or if you see for yourself.
wildroot is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.