Any help would be great... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Any help would be great...

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Geoffwebb
2004 FSJ Cherokee 

Any help would be great...

hI, i have a 2004 jeep cherokee sport, 3.7l motor, it was second hand and had a full service history, two days ago it broke down with an apparent torn radiator hose, and i pulled over about 500m after it first warned me the car had over heated. at first i fix the radiator and refilled it only to learn the motor is full of water which after trying a compression test and clearing out "most" of the water it seems the head gaskets are probibly gone, im new to this engine and just need some advice on what to look for as i proceed to strip the motor to the head gaskets... anything that usually goes wrong with this motor if its over heated and what my options are,
(all internal parts are covered in burnt oil. could this be as a result of the short drive while over heated? i can hardly imagine so?)
will i need to completely strip down and rebuild?
is this even an option?

Geoffwebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Garvin
1986 MJ Comanche 

I'm guessing you have the Chinese model 2500 Cherokee if it's 2004, that's unless it's the Liberty (not sure if they exported the Liberty as the 2500 was made till 2006).

You might be better off asking a lot of these questions in the Liberty forum as they run the same 3.7L V6. If the engine was overheated till it hit red then you could have charred a little oil in there. A lot of that could be sludge though. When you have the heads off, check the piston walls for scoring and check the oil and coolant jackets for any sludge. If the engine isn't making any weird noises then you might have got off lucky but that could have taken some life off of your crankshaft and camshaft bearings.
Roll Bar, 15/38.5R16.5 Ground Hawgs, Bastard lift (Custom 3-link long arm system, 4.5" Rusty's front springs w/ 1.75" spacers and 6.5" RC shocks, SOA rear), Dana 60HP/Sterling 10.25, 4.10's, Recessed winch, more mods to come...

[B]1992 Jeep Comanche 174000+ miles[/B]
Short Bed, 4.0L I6 HO, AX15, NP231
In the process of doing a frame up restoration.

...RIP...
[B]1990 Jeep Cherokee XJ 207774 miles[/B]
4.0L I6, AW4, NP231. Tom Woods SYE and Drive Shaft, Rusty's 8.0" Long Arm Suspension Lift, 36/13.5R15 Super Swamper IROK's, Dana 30 Front, Tube Diff Guard, Dana 44 Rear, 4.56 gears, Ox Locker, disc brake conversion
Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.