Any difference between '05/'06 CRD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Any difference between '05/'06 CRD

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
dougsmith
2005 KJ Liberty 

Any difference between '05/'06 CRD

I'm very interested in buying a Liberty with the CRD.

Is there any difference in reliability between the '06's ad '05's or any other reason the '05 might not be a good value?

dougsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The 06 CRD's have the newer style EGR valve and flow control valve, thats really the only difference.
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
CATCRD
2005 KJ Liberty 

The 06 has ESP and no trak-lok axle.
CATCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
BVCRD

........................and any built after 10/05 don't qualify for, or need the F37 recall. And there is of course the warranty difference.
Unread 02-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
LONEPINERON

I would say the bigest thing is the warranty 3-36k for 06 7-70k for 05
Unread 02-24-2007, 06:29 AM   #6
RFCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsmith

Is there any difference in reliability between the '06's ad '05's or any other reason the '05 might not be a good value?
The primary difference is with the '06 having ESP (combo package: stability & traction control, and anti-lock brakes) and the '05's have just ABS. DCX also changed the warranty protection between model years.

Neither model year will be a value if the vehicle is full of running defects and/or your dealer is clueless with fixing a CRD. This isn't the type of vehicle you want to buy used/sight-unseen from a seller hundreds or thousands of miles away. There are some cheap buys floating around as many owners are dumping out of these because they can't and their dealers won't fix their issues. Just be carefull what you buy and go into this with the expectation that the vehicle may need more love than normal.
RFCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2007, 07:30 AM   #7
BVCRD

Quote:

You will find that MOST CRD owners are happy with their rig. There will always be a few who aren't no matter what make it is.
Unread 02-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
dougsmith
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for all the info.

I found an '05 w/ 36K miles at a dealer. No obvious problems, except that there is an open recall on the torque converter and the mileage computer reads 15 mpg (might have been on the lot for a while; dealer was not clear on history).

Anything to worry about?
dougsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
BVCRD

Quote:
Thanks for all the info.

I found an '05 w/ 36K miles at a dealer. No obvious problems, except that there is an open recall on the torque converter and the mileage computer reads 15 mpg (might have been on the lot for a while; dealer was not clear on history).

Anything to worry about?

This is a case where 36,000 miles on an 05 is a good thing. To many miles to be a lemon. You already know about the TC and LBJ recalls. Get the F37 recall done and you should have a nice rig. I wouldn't worry too much about the 15 mpg. Could be a city driver, or who knows. There is a transferable warranty that you will want to take care of. Congrats.
Unread 02-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #10
RFCRD

Quote:
Thanks for all the info.

Anything to worry about?
If it's not throwing codes and runs OK, you should be fine. The 36K miles was the end of the bumper-to-bumper portion of the warranty. You might want to inspect the minor stuff like the charged air hoses for oil soaking. Get them replaced before delivery if they are soft or sweating oil as they are pricey (pull the woven guard back where it connects to the turbo and look for an oily coating). You should also know that the EGR valve is not covered under the 7/70 powertrain warranty so get it replaced now if it's giving any problems. Good luck.
RFCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 09:30 AM   #11
xyz123
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFCRD
If it's not throwing codes and runs OK, you should be fine. The 36K miles was the end of the bumper-to-bumper portion of the warranty. You might want to inspect the minor stuff like the charged air hoses for oil soaking. Get them replaced before delivery if they are soft or sweating oil as they are pricey (pull the woven guard back where it connects to the turbo and look for an oily coating). You should also know that the EGR valve is not covered under the 7/70 powertrain warranty so get it replaced now if it's giving any problems. Good luck.
If its right at 36k you might be able to purchase an extended warranty..or get them to throw one in on the deal..in my case, I knew I would put alot of miles on mine in a short period.. I just rolled over 36k in just under 1.5 years..Initially, I purchased a 5 year, 100k bumper to bumper warranty..small price to pay for a piece of mind..

and this past Thursday, running 75 to 80 mph on a 200 mile interstate trip, I got 29.2 mpg...the jeep on the lot has also probably been idling a lot (everybody wants to "hear" the diesel Liberty) which will pull the mileage on the evic down quickly..
xyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.