Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

anti theft shutdown?

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  lucas/liberty 
#1 ·
Newbie here, we own a 2003 Liberty sport, last week when the wife was driving it, it just shut itself down 3 times shortly after starting it and while driving down the back alley. When it shut down, an anti-theft lamp lit up, then she started the thing right back and kept going. It hasn't done it since, and hasn't ever done to me.
Anyone have any ideas on what could be going on here? It is not on warranty any more either, so I would much rather fix it myself than the dealer do it.
If this happened while driving down the highway, will the steering wheel lock? scary thought.:confused:

#2 ·
nvrenuff92 said:
Newbie here, we own a 2003 Liberty sport, last week when the wife was driving it, it just shut itself down 3 times shortly after starting it and while driving down the back alley. When it shut down, an anti-theft lamp lit up, then she started the thing right back and kept going. It hasn't done it since, and hasn't ever done to me.
Anyone have any ideas on what could be going on here? It is not on warranty any more either, so I would much rather fix it myself than the dealer do it.
If this happened while driving down the highway, will the steering wheel lock? scary thought.:confused:
Sounds like a glitch in the key/chip/CPU. Maybe try the other key for a while and see if it does it again with it. Otherwise, bad connection, or CPU may need reflashed.

#4 ·
Keep in mind that if you have any other manufacturers keys that have a chip in them, that will interfere with the KJs security setting the security system off. Also if you have a Mobil Speedpass to close to the ignition cylinder that will do the same thing. This all assuming that you have a grey key.

#5 ·
disconnecting the battery helps, it will reset the comp, a friend did this to his chevy and it worked...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.