Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of Old 06-04-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
NEKVT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: jeepsterville
Posts: 13
Anoying rear glass (ready to smash it)

I have been searching the Net and this forum, and everywhere. The stupid rear glass wont close, I go pissed and forced it closed wid a pry bay (lucky i dident brake the window) any way what is the real fix for this thing? I really liked the car before this but I am extreamly annoyed now. I have looked at the mechinism and all works fine eletrical and mechanical, its just you can get the glass quite far enough to make the loop on the glass latch in the locking mechinism.

Please help!!


NEKVT is offline  
post #2 of Old 06-04-2012, 07:25 AM
All3Sports
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: atlanta
Posts: 212
Have you tried loosening the 2 bolts that hold the hook to the glass? Mine wouldn't line up so I just loosened up the 2 bolts and slid the bracket so it had more area to connect to the swing=gate.

02 KJ Renegade - Totaled....

04 KJ Limited - OME 927/948 General Grabber AT2 247/75/16
All3Sports is offline  
post #3 of Old 06-04-2012, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
NEKVT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: jeepsterville
Posts: 13
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by All3Sports View Post
Have you tried loosening the 2 bolts that hold the hook to the glass? Mine wouldn't line up so I just loosened up the 2 bolts and slid the bracket so it had more area to connect to the swing=gate.
No I actually dident see any bolts holding the loop to the glass. (I thought it was glued there or build into the glass in some other way) Ill look tonight. After loosing it did you just simply put a spacer of some type in and then retighten?
NEKVT is offline  
post #4 of Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
NEKVT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: jeepsterville
Posts: 13
bolts

anyone have a picture of these bolts location?
diagram?
NEKVT is offline  
post #5 of Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Agent620
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Classified
Posts: 905
You need to fill in your vehicle information and profile information so people know what year to help with. Welcome and good luck with your problem.
Agent620 is offline  
post #6 of Old 06-04-2012, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
NEKVT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: jeepsterville
Posts: 13
will do

will do , and also post it here
2004 sport 3.7L
Auto trans
NEKVT is offline  
post #7 of Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 PM
All3Sports
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: atlanta
Posts: 212
The two bolts are on the window itself, they run from the bracket from the inside of the jeep to the window ill post a pic of mine in a minute.

02 KJ Renegade - Totaled....

04 KJ Limited - OME 927/948 General Grabber AT2 247/75/16
All3Sports is offline  
post #8 of Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
NEKVT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: jeepsterville
Posts: 13
I tried adjusting and that dident work, I then used a dremel and made the adjustment holes longer and that did work however I want to fix it right. Where can I buy a whole new locking mechanism.
The way I fixed it tonight makes the glass kinda drop a little funny when you open the swing gate and I am worried this temp fix could cause an issue down the road.
NEKVT is offline  
post #9 of Old 06-05-2012, 07:37 AM
All3Sports
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: atlanta
Posts: 212
Yours being an 04 there still might be an open recall for the rear window. I took mine in for the LBJ and they did my rear window for free.

02 KJ Renegade - Totaled....

04 KJ Limited - OME 927/948 General Grabber AT2 247/75/16
All3Sports is offline  
post #10 of Old 06-05-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
NEKVT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: jeepsterville
Posts: 13
not now

Quote:
Originally Posted by All3Sports View Post
Yours being an 04 there still might be an open recall for the rear window. I took mine in for the LBJ and they did my rear window for free.
I bet they dont now that I modded the latch to work
NEKVT is offline  
post #11 of Old 06-05-2012, 02:47 PM
All3Sports
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: atlanta
Posts: 212
Try registering your jeep at jeep.com and see if there is an open recall for the rear window. Even if you messed with it, they have no choice to install the new parts.

Here's the link to the website to register it:

https://owners.jeep.com/Sub/Pages/Ow...tionStep2.aspx

I did just for fun and found out a lot from the build sheet and found 2 open recalls for it.

02 KJ Renegade - Totaled....

04 KJ Limited - OME 927/948 General Grabber AT2 247/75/16
All3Sports is offline  
post #12 of Old 06-05-2012, 04:21 PM
flexyxj
Registered User
2009 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sioux Falls,SD
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEKVT View Post
I tried adjusting and that dident work, I then used a dremel and made the adjustment holes longer and that did work however I want to fix it right. Where can I buy a whole new locking mechanism.
The way I fixed it tonight makes the glass kinda drop a little funny when you open the swing gate and I am worried this temp fix could cause an issue down the road.
Make sure and lube the latching mechanism. It could just be dirty or gummed up and not latching properly.
flexyxj is offline  
post #13 of Old 06-06-2012, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
NEKVT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: jeepsterville
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexyxj View Post
Make sure and lube the latching mechanism. It could just be dirty or gummed up and not latching properly.
unfortunatly, its clean, Its just worn.....
NEKVT is offline  
post #14 of Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
NEKVT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: jeepsterville
Posts: 13
junk jeep

Man i hate this rig...I will never buy one again. Of all cars I have had this is the most anoying. I have swappend moters, trans, rebuilt rear ends... whatever and never had somthing anoy me this bad.
I have replace the actual locking latch 150.00
Then I replaced that switch mentioned in the D16 recall 5.00 and still the pos glass hatch wont shut.
The only thing that makes it sort of work for a while is when i put a little tape on the loop part of the glass door that goes into the latch.... untill the tape wears out.
I guess Ill play with the glass hatch hinges next, mabye try and make some shims of it..... anyone ever have an issue with these hinges?
NEKVT is offline  
post #15 of Old 07-05-2012, 08:17 AM
WillieWildcat
Member
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEKVT View Post
Man i hate this rig...I will never buy one again. Of all cars I have had this is the most anoying. I have swappend moters, trans, rebuilt rear ends... whatever and never had somthing anoy me this bad.
I have replace the actual locking latch 150.00
Then I replaced that switch mentioned in the D16 recall 5.00 and still the pos glass hatch wont shut.
The only thing that makes it sort of work for a while is when i put a little tape on the loop part of the glass door that goes into the latch.... untill the tape wears out.
I guess Ill play with the glass hatch hinges next, mabye try and make some shims of it..... anyone ever have an issue with these hinges?
I assume you've tried hosing the whole assembly down with a grease and dirt cleaner and blow-drying it out? I had this problem with the latch that held the whole back gate closed. Turned out that my dusty road finally got to it one day.

1999 Cherokee, 4.0L
2005 Wrangler, 4.0L, 70k WRECKED
1992 Cherokee, 4.0L, 174k SOLD
WillieWildcat is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
rear glass hatch, keeps opening on its own xstratagoof KJ Liberty Forum 8 03-02-2013 01:23 AM
I need to buy a rear glass latch wjbjsmith KJ Liberty Forum 0 11-25-2010 10:09 PM
Rear Glass bnrboy775 KJ Liberty Forum 7 10-10-2010 06:22 AM
rear glass light goyle73 KJ Liberty Forum 1 08-12-2010 05:17 AM
Rear Flip Glass JeepLibertyNYC KJ Liberty Forum 9 05-18-2002 07:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome