Anoying rear glass (ready to smash it) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Anoying rear glass (ready to smash it)

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
NEKVT

Anoying rear glass (ready to smash it)

I have been searching the Net and this forum, and everywhere. The stupid rear glass wont close, I go pissed and forced it closed wid a pry bay (lucky i dident brake the window) any way what is the real fix for this thing? I really liked the car before this but I am extreamly annoyed now. I have looked at the mechinism and all works fine eletrical and mechanical, its just you can get the glass quite far enough to make the loop on the glass latch in the locking mechinism.

Please help!!

NEKVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
All3Sports
2004 KJ Liberty 

Have you tried loosening the 2 bolts that hold the hook to the glass? Mine wouldn't line up so I just loosened up the 2 bolts and slid the bracket so it had more area to connect to the swing=gate.

04 KJ Limited - OME 927/948 General Grabber AT2 247/75/16
All3Sports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
NEKVT

hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by All3Sports View Post
Have you tried loosening the 2 bolts that hold the hook to the glass? Mine wouldn't line up so I just loosened up the 2 bolts and slid the bracket so it had more area to connect to the swing=gate.
No I actually dident see any bolts holding the loop to the glass. (I thought it was glued there or build into the glass in some other way) Ill look tonight. After loosing it did you just simply put a spacer of some type in and then retighten?
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
NEKVT

bolts

anyone have a picture of these bolts location?
diagram?
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
Agent620
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You need to fill in your vehicle information and profile information so people know what year to help with. Welcome and good luck with your problem.
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
NEKVT

will do

will do , and also post it here
2004 sport 3.7L
Auto trans
Unread 06-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
All3Sports
2004 KJ Liberty 

The two bolts are on the window itself, they run from the bracket from the inside of the jeep to the window ill post a pic of mine in a minute.

Unread 06-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
NEKVT

I tried adjusting and that dident work, I then used a dremel and made the adjustment holes longer and that did work however I want to fix it right. Where can I buy a whole new locking mechanism.
The way I fixed it tonight makes the glass kinda drop a little funny when you open the swing gate and I am worried this temp fix could cause an issue down the road.
Unread 06-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
All3Sports
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yours being an 04 there still might be an open recall for the rear window. I took mine in for the LBJ and they did my rear window for free.

Unread 06-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
NEKVT

not now

Quote:
Originally Posted by All3Sports View Post
Yours being an 04 there still might be an open recall for the rear window. I took mine in for the LBJ and they did my rear window for free.
I bet they dont now that I modded the latch to work
Unread 06-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
All3Sports
2004 KJ Liberty 

Try registering your jeep at jeep.com and see if there is an open recall for the rear window. Even if you messed with it, they have no choice to install the new parts.

Here's the link to the website to register it:

https://owners.jeep.com/Sub/Pages/Ow...tionStep2.aspx

I did just for fun and found out a lot from the build sheet and found 2 open recalls for it.

Unread 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
flexyxj
2009 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEKVT View Post
I tried adjusting and that dident work, I then used a dremel and made the adjustment holes longer and that did work however I want to fix it right. Where can I buy a whole new locking mechanism.
The way I fixed it tonight makes the glass kinda drop a little funny when you open the swing gate and I am worried this temp fix could cause an issue down the road.
Make sure and lube the latching mechanism. It could just be dirty or gummed up and not latching properly.
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #13
NEKVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexyxj View Post
Make sure and lube the latching mechanism. It could just be dirty or gummed up and not latching properly.
unfortunatly, its clean, Its just worn.....
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
NEKVT

junk jeep

Man i hate this rig...I will never buy one again. Of all cars I have had this is the most anoying. I have swappend moters, trans, rebuilt rear ends... whatever and never had somthing anoy me this bad.
I have replace the actual locking latch 150.00
Then I replaced that switch mentioned in the D16 recall 5.00 and still the pos glass hatch wont shut.
The only thing that makes it sort of work for a while is when i put a little tape on the loop part of the glass door that goes into the latch.... untill the tape wears out.
I guess Ill play with the glass hatch hinges next, mabye try and make some shims of it..... anyone ever have an issue with these hinges?
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
WillieWildcat
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEKVT View Post
Man i hate this rig...I will never buy one again. Of all cars I have had this is the most anoying. I have swappend moters, trans, rebuilt rear ends... whatever and never had somthing anoy me this bad.
I have replace the actual locking latch 150.00
Then I replaced that switch mentioned in the D16 recall 5.00 and still the pos glass hatch wont shut.
The only thing that makes it sort of work for a while is when i put a little tape on the loop part of the glass door that goes into the latch.... untill the tape wears out.
I guess Ill play with the glass hatch hinges next, mabye try and make some shims of it..... anyone ever have an issue with these hinges?
I assume you've tried hosing the whole assembly down with a grease and dirt cleaner and blow-drying it out? I had this problem with the latch that held the whole back gate closed. Turned out that my dusty road finally got to it one day.
WillieWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.