Another reason to not! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Another reason to not!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-03-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Another reason to not!

That is ....another reason to avoid Gas-a-hol!
Ever wonder why you some times dump fuel on the pavement at fill ups for your KJ?
The reason is because the fuel check valve swells up and valve get stuck open due to 10% or higher Ethanol in many gas station. You cannot replace the check valve inside gas tank even if you remove fuel pump. .
I have decided to go back to the REAL gas...................

Yes ...the old "real" gas is more expensive...............but what if all that carbon build up in the push rods and valves was also caused by corn in the tank?

Pay less now for crap gas or pay later when a Lifter is disconnected because od carbon build up.

Again just my opinion.

94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 06:14 AM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Been meaning to work on an experiment, but lack of time right now to do it. The wranglers had this problem, and Chrysler's fix was to install a new filler neck with a valve in it. GM had a similar issue as well, and did the same thing. The thought process is, if the valve can be grafted into our filler hose, or replace our filler hose on the KJ.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

12 years and not one problem filling the KJ with gas,and yes all 12 years was with 10% blended gas.
Unread 04-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
12 years and not one problem filling the KJ with gas,and yes all 12 years was with 10% blended gas.
Thats great news!

I did not have that same positive results

The things this mixed fuel does to you engine is usually not noticed till a engine light comes on or your engine develops a tick or knock. I have even heard of rockers separating from the rods. This stuff "fuel" is pure evil imo

But I am glad you have had good success with it.
Unread 04-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
Thats great news!

I did not have that same positive results

The things this mixed fuel does to you engine is usually not noticed till a engine light comes on or your engine develops a tick or knock. I have even heard of rockers separating from the rods. This stuff "fuel" is pure evil imo

But I am glad you have had good success with it.
E10 gas does not harm your engine at all,can't.

Mixtures above 15% can effect rubber parts of the fuel system only and if you let the gas sit in the tank for extended periods of time that can be bad also(30+ days).But hey at 9mpg city gas does not stay in my KJ's tank for long.
Unread 04-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
northenhill
2006 KJ Liberty 

Haven't been here in quite some time; but will add to this post my experience. In reference to dumping fuel/spillovers @fill ups w/KJs: Ran KJs in fleet/worktrucks for years, 300/500miles per shift/per night..quality fuel of course was with work atmosphere not any concern. But with dozens/scores of gas stations used in multiple NE state area over time became very aware the stations consistently which pumps ran fast and would dump fuel all over and on rear truck panels and stink up the vehicles of gas odor. My experience - in reference to your concern with kj valve issue or ethanol content - was with some/many individual gas pump stations had very fast fuel pumps and would dump fuel after shutoff. Was a few stations like this close to the shop, and having to top off after shift, I would stay w/ pump@ filling up to avoid dumping gas to not hear griping of gas fumes from next shift. But majority stations did not do this; found the variable was w/the individual station pain n the arse pump not the trucks...03,05kj worktrucks; great trucks; hope this helps some ....got 06kj now.... not happy at all..but is altogether another thread...
northenhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I would also give a resolving 2nd to what TJKJ mentioned. No issues on my 05 TJ, no issues with my 04 GMC, no issues with my AWD work van, no issues on the Harley. The only things that gets straight gas is my lawn mower and snow blower, but they are 30 years old and sit for 6 months of the year.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 01:36 AM   #8
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
E10 gas does not harm your engine at all,can't.

Mixtures above 15% can effect rubber parts of the fuel system only and if you let the gas sit in the tank for extended periods of time that can be bad also(30+ days).But hey at 9mpg city gas does not stay in my KJ's tank for long.
I can not prove you incorrect on your suggestion about gasahol "not" being harmful to combustion motors BUT I can tell you that I get better fuel mpg than you with real gas .
There is no way you can get the MPG than i get if your burnning gas a hol. Its great that you like the Gas-a -hol....as well because the e-15 blended fuels. will soon replace the E-10 blend! The Government soon will mandate all blended fuels to be E-15 or above,
I myself do not care about the higher cost of real gas, its better in the "long" run. imo

I cant figure out why my owners manuel demands changing my oil in my new jeep's pentastar engine thousands of miles earlier if i am using FLEXFUELS vs reg gas?
Crazy...............
Unread 04-04-2014, 05:17 AM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I can not prove you incorrect on your suggestion about gasahol "not" being harmful to combustion motors BUT I can tell you that I get better fuel mpg than you with real gas .
There is no way you can get the MPG than i get if your burnning gas a hol. Its great that you like the Gas-a -hol....as well because the e-15 blended fuels. will soon replace the E-10 blend! The Government soon will mandate all blended fuels to be E-15 or above,
I myself do not care about the higher cost of real gas, its better in the "long" run. imo

I cant figure out why my owners manuel demands changing my oil in my new jeep's pentastar engine thousands of miles earlier if i am using FLEXFUELS vs reg gas?
Crazy...............
1st there is no place to buy non-ethanol gas here anywhere so it's not like I hunt E10 down.

2nd E10 can not hurt the engine,that is proven.

3rd non-ethanol gas you will see slightly better mpg's,everyone knows that and it's not a hidden fact.

4th there is no OCI interval differences between using non-ethanol gas and E10 in your owners manual.
Unread 04-04-2014, 06:17 AM   #10
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

I think he is referring to E85 flex fuels, not E10. Not everyone has the fuel splash back problem, only some. That is the same on all the major brands using a similar valve in the tank. There are several TSBs about it for other vehicles, and in it they clearly stated the alcohol sometimes distorts things enough that the valve does not seal. Engines are now meant to handle E10, but some things don't work out as planned. Just like the KJ ball joints.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
I think he is referring to E85 flex fuels, not E10. Not everyone has the fuel splash back problem, only some. That is the same on all the major brands using a similar valve in the tank. There are several TSBs about it for other vehicles, and in it they clearly stated the alcohol sometimes distorts things enough that the valve does not seal. Engines are now meant to handle E10, but some things don't work out as planned. Just like the KJ ball joints.
Ball joints and bushings
Unread 04-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #12
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
1st there is no place to buy non-ethanol gas here anywhere so it's not like I hunt E10 down.

2nd E10 can not hurt the engine,that is proven.

3rd non-ethanol gas you will see slightly better mpg's,everyone knows that and it's not a hidden fact.

4th there is no OCI interval differences between using non-ethanol gas and E10 in your owners manual.
Your correct on @3 and half correct on @ 4

#1 is incorrect There are several stations that have real gas.
The Goverment does not give tax breaks to stations that sell 100% gasoline.Thats why its difficult to locate real gas in alot of states. BTW it cost more to produce Gas-a hol, but our goverment gives breaks to stations that sell it? So hense, why would most fast food marts want to sell real gas?

#2 is unproven. Talk to a mech/tech and ask him what he rather put in his tank I know Water in your fuel system can cause probs.

#4 The 2013 jeep owners manuel states I can use E-85 fuels as well. But if I do I have to change the oil much sooner vs other fuels. E 10 is under normal drain intervals.

Pretty soon e-10 will graduate to E 15 -up.

I will not buy this fuel. Its my choice, Also I do not buy all this hype and latter day decptions about world ending GLOBAL WARMMING bogus henny penny sky is a fallen.....crowd

A cow farting causes more green gasses than my Honda atv does all day!

Its a free country so do what fits your opinion/convictions my friend.

Its also your choice to use this gas.

Its all G!
Unread 04-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
#1 is incorrect There are several stations that have real gas.
The Goverment does not give tax breaks to stations that sell 100% gasoline.Thats why its difficult to locate real gas in alot of states. BTW it cost more to produce Gas-a hol, but our goverment gives breaks to stations that sell it? So hense, why would most fast food marts want to sell real gas?

#2 is unproven. Talk to a mech/tech and ask him what he rather put in his tank I know Water in your fuel system can cause probs.
#1 is correct for this area,there are zero gas stations selling non-ethanol gas here,you'd have to drive 40 miles to find a gas station that sells non-thanol gas and then that is 91 octane only.

#2 is proven,E10 will do nothing to the combustion chamber.Your engine naturally produces water so it's not all that bad as long as it stay's out of the crank case and then it takes more then what E10 will absorb in 15 years to any real damage.
Unread 04-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
#1 is correct for this area,there are zero gas stations selling non-ethanol gas here,you'd have to drive 40 miles to find a gas station that sells non-thanol gas and then that is 91 octane only.

#2 is proven,E10 will do nothing to the combustion chamber.Your engine naturally produces water so it's not all that bad as long as it stay's out of the crank case and then it takes more then what E10 will absorb in 15 years to any real damage.
I drive 30 miles to buy real gas here in Va So In the spring All my Mowers start up as well as the Atv's Generator's etc..............
I could be a tad over kill paying over a dollar more on gasoline a gal, to preserve all my investments. But I will never have to rebuild a carb, use more alcohol to treat gas or any other thing to my motors, to get them to start up. If I am incorrect and the Gas-a- hol is proven in the future to be good for all engines................well I will just have to tip my hat to you all! When I am wrong on something I will man up
BTW,,,,I love the way the engine sounds with 93 octane gas with no corn in it going up hill, with a loaded trailer!

Time will tell

Peace.
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #15
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I drive 30 miles to buy real gas here in Va So In the spring All my Mowers start up as well as the Atv's Generator's etc..............
I could be a tad over kill paying over a dollar more on gasoline a gal, to preserve all my investments. But I will never have to rebuild a carb, use more alcohol to treat gas or any other thing to my motors, to get them to start up. If I am incorrect and the Gas-a- hol is proven in the future to be good for all engines................well I will just have to tip my hat to you all! When I am wrong on something I will man up
BTW,,,,I love the way the engine sounds with 93 octane gas with no corn in it going up hill, with a loaded trailer!

Time will tell

Peace.
Did I mention anything about carbed engines? Nope.

Sorry but anyone that drives 30 miles,out of there way, to fill there gas tank(for a vehicle) is really not all there.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.