JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KJ Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   another ome HD spring lift Question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/another-ome-hd-spring-lift-question-1342234/)

Destrobot 03-12-2012 09:09 PM

another ome HD spring lift Question

weeks away from ordering my ome HD 1.5" lift kit from JBA, and i was wondering if I need the strut spacers and rear iso's to fit 245/75/16 duratracs with cragar soft 8s... or should I order them and have them installed anyways. The pinch welds in the front have been pounded in already. Im concerned for the ball joints, as I am not buying the JBA A arms right away. what do you guys think? strut plates and rear upper iso's or just the lift.

benmar2000 03-12-2012 09:44 PM

I would keep the isolators as they dampen the noise of the springs from the perches.. Not sure what you mean by strut plate. You have to have the top plate bolted on in order to bolt it back in the front.. The front is basically a coil over design..

You need this on top of the spring with the strut in order to bolt it back on..
http://jeepinbyal.com/images/images_small/mogk3189.jpg

From my understanding, for the OME lift, you just reuse the stock strut mount..

As for the A arms, I wouldn't worry about getting them unless you go over 2ins of lift.. Then you would need the A arms to adjust the angle of the front to compensate for the taller lift..

socks 03-13-2012 01:03 AM

I would buy the " upper strut plate and the extra pair of rear isolators.
Remember you can also add some clevis lift to fine tune the front ride height.

And ditto as to what benmar said regarding the JBA upper control arms.
Just so you know though, you will get more than two inches of lift if you
add the " top plate.
Then the Gen 4.5 A arms will come in very handy especially when it comes
to alignment.

Destrobot 03-13-2012 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socks (Post 13229454)
I would buy the " upper strut plate and the extra pair of rear isolators.
Remember you also add some clevis lift to fine tune the front ride height.

And ditto as to what benmar said regarding the JBA upper control arms.
Just so you know though, you will get more than two inches of lift if you
add the " top plate.
Then the Gen 4.5 A arms will come in very handy especially when it comes
to alignment.

so, basically, it nessesary to install the a arms in order for the lift to work? I guess I should buy them, just need more info before spending another $400

tommudd 03-13-2012 04:17 PM

No you do not need JBA arms with a lift you can get it close enough in alignment so it doesn't wear the tires. My first lift I ran 70,000 on the stock UCAs and no issues. It does make it easier to align and get closer to middle specs than without.
With a 1/4 inch top plate and 927 springs in the front you'll be about 22 inches middle of wheel to bottom of flare
The ones I do I also do a 3/8 inch clevis in the front and two extra upper isolators in the rear and that sits you at 22.5 when everything settles in good.

Oberon 03-14-2012 06:06 PM

Do the HD springs sag slower than the normal duty springs? tom, or anyone, could you go over what the '927' and other numbers on a spring describe? i'm assuming it refers to the hight it gives? Is pounding of the welds really neccesary? sorta planning on doing it myself when i buy this same kit, and same tires i suppose, tho i might go with a more aggressive tread. Would my tire brand choice outside of 245-75-16's effect the installation of my lift?
Sorry for the messy format, but you better answer everything D:<

tommudd 03-14-2012 06:18 PM

Yes the 927s will sag a lot slower than normal springs
My first lift I ran for 100,000 miles and it sagged about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch over that time which is nothing compared to stock!
OME 927 refers to the spring rate which is 400 lb
stock springs are 310-320 lb
you can also get OME 925s at 350
OME 926s at 375
Rustys spring lift and Skyjackers are rated same as stock and will sag

As far as pounding the pinch welds depends on tire / wheel combination, and also how much you lift it

Oberon 03-15-2012 08:15 AM

off topic-
Need to buy a jack and tools for doing my lift and other, possibly future, car work. For the jack, what do I need? I suppose I see people with the 'Hi-Lift Jack' more than anything, will that work for all my automotive needs or should i stick with a standard floor jack? not looking for something to mount or show off, need it to be practical^^ I recall hearing that having 2 jacks can be advantageous when installing springs or lifts in general. I plan to buy a heat gun and a cutting tool for pounding the weld. Any other tool suggestions? I dont have a shop, so i'll be doing it at work where I have access to mechanic co-worker and alot of tools for general repairs around the store.

dillonjm 03-15-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon (Post 13243021)
off topic-
Need to buy a jack and tools for doing my lift and other, possibly future, car work. For the jack, what do I need? I suppose I see people with the 'Hi-Lift Jack' more than anything, will that work for all my automotive needs or should i stick with a standard floor jack? not looking for something to mount or show off, need it to be practical^^ I recall hearing that having 2 jacks can be advantageous when installing springs or lifts in general. I plan to buy a heat gun and a cutting tool for pounding the weld. Any other tool suggestions? I dont have a shop, so i'll be doing it at work where I have access to mechanic co-worker and alot of tools for general repairs around the store.

The hi-lift is more for off-road use, and IMHO most people who carry one do it more because its a fad than anything. I have yet to get into a position off-road that I could have gotten out of with a hi-lift that I wasn't able to another way. I'm not saying they aren't useful, we use them out on the farm a lot with the tractor, but I just haven't seen an immediate need for one on a Jeep personally yet.

That said, get a little hydraulic floor jack. Its up to you to decide how much you want to spend. I've gotten by with a cheap one for years, even using it on the front of my 3/4 ton without issue (can only get one corner at a time though). When doing suspension work, I usually just jack up one corner, place a jackstand, move to the other corner and jack it up then place a jackstand on that side too. Then I use the jack to move the axle (or arms on the KJ) as necessary.

Taller jackstands are never a bad idea, but you can get buy with the small ones you find in Oreillys or similar stores if you need to.

Hope this helps, good luck with your lift.

benmar2000 03-15-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

off topic-

Don't over look Sam's Club.. That is where I got my jack stands and my floor jack.. Very good prices and the quality is very nice.. I have had my floor jack for years and use it all the time for doing things to my old YJ as well as working on my KJ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by dillonjm (Post 13243727)
The hi-lift is more for off-road use, and IMHO most people who carry one do it more because its a fad than anything. I have yet to get into a position off-road that I could have gotten out of with a hi-lift that I wasn't able to another way. I'm not saying they aren't useful, we use them out on the farm a lot with the tractor, but I just haven't seen an immediate need for one on a Jeep personally yet.

That said, get a little hydraulic floor jack. Its up to you to decide how much you want to spend. I've gotten by with a cheap one for years, even using it on the front of my 3/4 ton without issue (can only get one corner at a time though). When doing suspension work, I usually just jack up one corner, place a jackstand, move to the other corner and jack it up then place a jackstand on that side too. Then I use the jack to move the axle (or arms on the KJ) as necessary.

Taller jackstands are never a bad idea, but you can get buy with the small ones you find in Oreillys or similar stores if you need to.

Hope this helps, good luck with your lift.

Of all the times I have been wheeling, I have only seen a Hi Lift used once.. and that was to change a tire on a JKU with a 4in lift and 37in tires on the trail.. I don't own one.. Most people don't know how to properly use them and they can be extremely dangerous.. But I will say that one use for them is to use as a come along.. That is something that is very handy about them..

tommudd 03-15-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

off topic-

Cutting tool for the pinch welds???????????
Just need to cut the plastic and use a BFH to pound over the pinch weld, do not cut it off!.
Floor jack, two jack stands etc are needed or should be used

The time now is 08:12 AM.