Another mystery part - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Another mystery part

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
WillieWildcat
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Another mystery part

All the information I can find is on the I6. What is going on here? It appears that oil is leaking into my air filter housing. I followed the hose that this... filter... is connected to and it splits, one half of the hose running to the back of each the left and right cylinder heads. The left (driver's side, not sure whose left to say here) half of the hose is seeping oil where it connects to the cylinder head. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by WillieWildcat; 06-26-2012 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Clarification
WillieWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
WillieWildcat
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
That is not a mystery part, that is part of the PCV (emissions) system, it is a BREATHER FILTER. Look at the line that goes into the bottom of your air box, then to the PCV on the oil fill neck. The material is there to catch the oil, I use a CATCH CAN instead. They need replaced every so often, as they become saturated and leak into the lower air box. I have a post on this, as a matter of fact, I have eliminated it all together for an oil catch can.
I've found a post of you mentioning this catch can:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/c...-done-1385365/

But there isn't a lot of detail on what's going on in the picture. Is there another post with more detail and/or a how-to?
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
WillieWildcat
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Wow... I must've just completely missed that you posted the link to that post already. Sorry. Thanks for your help.
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

If the system is working properly, there should not be oil in the breather element, or filter. Its not a "catch can" or any other gizmo name. Air is drawn in thru it, then into the crankcase, and then thru the PCV valve/orifice, and back into the intake manifold. The purpose of the system is to ventilate the crankcase, and remove fuel vapors, and any other byproducts of blowby, and burn them in the engine when drawn by vacuum into the intake. The pcv valve is a means to limit the amount of vacuum pulled, and the amount of air going thru the system, as well as preventing/reducing oil from entering the vacuum line. In the event of severe blowby, it cant keep up, and positive crankcase pressure pushes air back thru the breather element side. Since there isn't a means to control oil on that side of the system, oil gets pushed out like you see. The other situation, is when the pcv valve/orifice gets clogged, or the spring gets weak in the valve, then you end up with the same situation. First thing you should do when yo usee this, replace the pcv valve, regardless of how much it rattles(thats a bogus test for operation), and verify the lines are all clear.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
WillieWildcat
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
If the system is working properly, there should not be oil in the breather element, or filter. Its not a "catch can" or any other gizmo name. Air is drawn in thru it, then into the crankcase, and then thru the PCV valve/orifice, and back into the intake manifold. The purpose of the system is to ventilate the crankcase, and remove fuel vapors, and any other byproducts of blowby, and burn them in the engine when drawn by vacuum into the intake. The pcv valve is a means to limit the amount of vacuum pulled, and the amount of air going thru the system, as well as preventing/reducing oil from entering the vacuum line. In the event of severe blowby, it cant keep up, and positive crankcase pressure pushes air back thru the breather element side. Since there isn't a means to control oil on that side of the system, oil gets pushed out like you see. The other situation, is when the pcv valve/orifice gets clogged, or the spring gets weak in the valve, then you end up with the same situation. First thing you should do when yo usee this, replace the pcv valve, regardless of how much it rattles(thats a bogus test for operation), and verify the lines are all clear.
I appreciate the hold-your-hand-through-what-you-should-do-next reply. I'm pretty novice when it comes to doing anything other than fluid changes, etc. I'll reply again after I find out if/when the problem has been fixed.
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

PCV valve is right on the oil filler neck on your 3.7L V6. It has the hose coming off of it.
Unread 06-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
WillieWildcat
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Changed the PCV valve this morning. Went to Autozone, here's how that visit went:

Guy: "The 3.7L doesn't have a breather filter."
Me: "Sure does. I'll show you."
*We go outside, I pop the hood and start to open the air filter housing."
Guy: "That's your air filter, I've got those." *Turns and starts walking back inside*
Me: "Nope. Look."
Guy: "What is that?"
Me: "Breather filter."

Anyway, they had one that was the correct size but was not sponge-like but was more like a mesh fabric. NAPA didn't even know what the heck I was talking about and couldn't even order the part. Fun start to the day.
Unread 06-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Sounds pretty typical. After you deal with parts stores for so long, you look forward to dealing with dealership parts guys. Lot of times it wont be a sponge material, but fabric like you encountered. We used to get it in sheets, and cut to fit.
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
MoD
2005 KJ Liberty 

thats ok i took mine to the dealer for that filter medium and they told me in order to get that stuff i would have to order a whole new filter box. i promise that is what they told me. i wanted to laugh in their face. but instead i told them i would get some foam from walmart and make my own
MoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
WillieWildcat
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoD View Post
thats ok i took mine to the dealer for that filter medium and they told me in order to get that stuff i would have to order a whole new filter box. i promise that is what they told me. i wanted to laugh in their face. but instead i told them i would get some foam from walmart and make my own
Same thing happened for me! Wanted me to buy the filter box and all new tubing for $60. I just picked up the $3 replacement they had at Autozone and called it a day.
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
WillieWildcat
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself here, but replacing the PCV valve seems to have fixed the problem. The new breather filter I put in does not have a trace of oil on it after about a day and a half of driving. I hope, though, that the PCV valve didn't go bad because of excessive blow-by.

Also, the old PCV valve "rattled" like it should have but was still seemingly bad.
Unread 06-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Also, the old PCV valve "rattled" like it should have but was still seemingly bad.
Just as I have stated before, a rattling PCV valve only means, that well, it rattles, and that the valve inside is free. What you cant tell, is the condition of the internal spring, if it has become weak, or if the valve is allowing too much, or too little air thru. The rattle test is something that goes back to the caveman mechanic days, when those guys only knew you threw parts at cars when it did this, or did that, and had no clue as to why.
Unread 06-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieWildcat View Post
Changed the PCV valve this morning. Went to Autozone, here's how that visit went:

Guy: "The 3.7L doesn't have a breather filter."
Me: "Sure does. I'll show you."
*We go outside, I pop the hood and start to open the air filter housing."
Guy: "That's your air filter, I've got those." *Turns and starts walking back inside*
Me: "Nope. Look."
Guy: "What is that?"
Me: "Breather filter."

Anyway, they had one that was the correct size but was not sponge-like but was more like a mesh fabric. NAPA didn't even know what the heck I was talking about and couldn't even order the part. Fun start to the day.
I've had some of my more fun parts store encounters in your neck of the woods. At least the Manhattan guys aren't nearly as bad as the two clowns I dealt with a couple weeks ago @ Oreillys in Junction.

Glad the PCV fixed your issue.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Ask them for a heater core and and water pump for a 1974 VW Beetle, or a headlight for a 1983 Chevy Corvette.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.