Alignment Specifications Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Alignment Specifications Question

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
hckrach
2005 KJ Liberty 

Alignment Specifications Question

I have a 2005 Liberty Renegade. I just got new tires, and they tried to tell me that I need an alignment. I didn't get one, but brought home the measurements to compare to the factory service manual. The left caster is at 3.4. The range for that is 3.4-4.4, so it is within specs, but just barely. The right camber is at -1.0 with specs calling for -.75-0. The left toe is at .21. According to Firestone, the range for it is .04-.16, but the FSM only gives a total toe-in range of .075-.325, and my total toe-in is at .25, so that is within range.

My feeling is that the alignment is fine. Would any of you recommend an alignment or not, based on the numbers given (the left camber is fine, and the right caster and toe are fine)?

hckrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Camber is out so yes you do need a alignment and yes they can and will deny any mileage warranty on the tires since they also have the a copy of that printout saying it was out and you declined the alignment.

You should always have the alignment checked/set if needed at least once a year,every 6 months is better.Firestone has a lifetime policy that pays for itself quick.
Unread 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
hckrach
2005 KJ Liberty 

A long time later, but thanks for the reply. It took a while, but I did just get an alignment yesterday. After all of that, the right camber was now fine, but the left wasn't, and they fixed to toe-in. My question is, they claimed that the caster cannot be changed on this Jeep. The left caster is, post alignment, at 2.9 and the right is at 3.3 The FSM calls for a range of 3.4-4.4. It seems to indicate that the caster can be changed, that it isn't preset. I'm just wondering if I should just learn my lesson and take it to a dealership for my next alignment, or if the caster being slightlly off is an issue?
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Luke09
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckrach View Post
My question is, they claimed that the caster cannot be changed on this Jeep.
Oh that's a good one

FWIW I had no success with anyone but an experienced 4x4 shop.

Edit: I assumed you were lifted .. if not Dealership would be fine. If you like your new tires don't wait. Mine has been aligned twice this year already.
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
hckrach
2005 KJ Liberty 

In the future, I may just go to the stealership...I would hope they would know it best
Unread 07-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
In the future, I may just go to the stealership...I would hope they would know it best
Yeah right, the local dealership said mine couldn't be aligned after I lifted mine.
After 3 Name Brand Tire shops also said the same thing, took it to a Mom and Pop and no issues, so they have done all of mine for years, also all the ones we've lifted here
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

hckrach

Do some homework, talk to other folks in your neck of the woods as to who they have used & did they do a decent job. As mentioned already, if you find a good tech that works at a Firestone shop - you can get a lifetime policy. Then get your alignment checked a couple times a year. When you can easily spend over a grand on 5 new tires, it is worth keeping things lined up.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
A long time later, but thanks for the reply. It took a while, but I did just get an alignment yesterday. After all of that, the right camber was now fine, but the left wasn't, and they fixed to toe-in. My question is, they claimed that the caster cannot be changed on this Jeep. The left caster is, post alignment, at 2.9 and the right is at 3.3 The FSM calls for a range of 3.4-4.4. It seems to indicate that the caster can be changed, that it isn't preset. I'm just wondering if I should just learn my lesson and take it to a dealership for my next alignment, or if the caster being slightlly off is an issue?
While caster is adjustable on a KJ it is not a tire wearing angle and depending on the amount of sag it's better to get camber in spec then caster as they both use the same adjusting points.Your fine with the caster you got as cross caster is still in spec which is the important part.
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
hckrach
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
While caster is adjustable on a KJ it is not a tire wearing angle and depending on the amount of sag it's better to get camber in spec then caster as they both use the same adjusting points.Your fine with the caster you got as cross caster is still in spec which is the important part.
What do you mean by cross caster?
Unread 07-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Luke09
2005 KJ Liberty 

Here is a quick reference ...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=4

Cross-Camber and Cross-Caster
Most street car alignments call for the front camber and caster settings to be adjusted to slightly different specifications on the right side of the vehicle compared to the left side. These slight side-to-side differences are called cross-camber and cross-caster.
For vehicles set up to drive on the "right" side of the road, the right side is aligned with a little more negative camber (about 1/4-degree) and a little more positive caster (again, about 1/4-degree) to help the vehicle resist the influence of crowned roads that would cause it to drift "downhill" to the right gutter. Since most roads are crowned, cross-camber and cross-caster are helpful the majority of the time, however they will cause a vehicle to drift to the left on a perfectly flat road or a road that leans to the left.
Using cross-camber and cross-caster is not necessary for track-only cars.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.