Air conditioner not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Air conditioner not working

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
PVCS

Air conditioner not working

Hello

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty, V6. no climate control on the AC

The air conditioner does not work when it has been idling for a period of time, or when I am driving in the city.

It works when I am driving on the highway, but sometimes stops when it is very hot/humid outside.

I have taken it to my neighborhood shop, that I trust and they have previously done work on our vehicles which much satisfaction.

So far:

- freon has been emptied and refilled a few times.
- no leaks have been found.
- a "transductor" and another relay switch has been replaced.

Still no change in it.

They have spoken with a Jeep dealership and they believe it is "computer" related.

The local shop stated a price around $700 to replace this computer ( don't know if it is exclusive to the air conditioner or other engine related things. Though no other issues are present)

Anyone else had this type of problem/issue?

Any other alternatives than replacing this computer? Does that seem excess? Or what exactly is this computer?

Thanks for any help offered.

PV

PVCS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
JoBo

Your symptoms sound to me like the radiator fan (s) are not working correctly or the condensor is plugged with buggs or other road debris On the CRD's there's a mechanical fan with a clutch and a electric fan I don't know what combination you have but that's where I would look based on what you've given us

My Grand daughter wants this on here.
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Lcars
Nanners...MMMM..Toasty

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBo
My Grand daughter wants this on here.
It is.
Originally Posted by JungleLarry
THAT'S MY DICK IN YOUR B*TT!
(Edited for content.)
N7GTJ
View my Paddock Pool construction nightmare at http://www.paddockpoolsucks.com/
Lcars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
jeepjeepster

If your jeep came with the tow pack then it will have the Engine driven fan and the electric fan. If you have both then Id say its not a fan issue. I would hope they checked the condensor for debris but check it just to be sure. Spray it out with a water hose really good, do not use high pressure. If its good and clean then i would guess its a bad compressor/accumulator. I do not know why they would say its a bad computer? Does the engine heat up any at all? Sometimes when the engine heats up the a/c will kick off to give it the extra cooling.

The reason I say it could be a bad compressor is, our 94 grand does the same thing and thats what we were told. You can hook a set of guages up to it and tell if the compressor is going out. The high pressure side will be lower than it should be b/c its not building up the pressure it should. The hotter the engine gets(Idling alot) the worse it will get.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
sdlehman

I have had a similar problem as this but yesterday after I jumped in and started the car, (very hot) all that would come out is hot air. I beleive the compressor is working and that maybe the knob that controls the temp is stuck on hot. I had to drive 3 hours with the windows down. I kept trying to get it to work but the air stayed hot, much hotter than outside air. Definitely heater.

Tried again today after it had a chance to sit overnight but no help.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Stace
sdlehman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2006, 02:55 AM   #6
88wagon

could be a mode door sticking can you hear any thing switch inside your dash when you switch it from warm to cold? sometimes the doors wont switch you could also pop the hood and see if the compressor is spinning and feel the low side line to see if its cold.
88wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
sdlehman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88wagon
could be a mode door sticking can you hear any thing switch inside your dash when you switch it from warm to cold? sometimes the doors wont switch you could also pop the hood and see if the compressor is spinning and feel the low side line to see if its cold.
I hear nothing when I switch from warm to cold. If it is a mode door how might I unstick it?

I will double check the compressor today.

Thank you for your help.

Stace
Unread 07-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #8
88wagon

I'm not sure of the setup on a kj but usually they have a cable that operates the mode door. so you can pull the control panel and see if its a cable and if its a cable folow it down tot he end it might be disconnected you should be able to move the door by hand.
Unread 07-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
sdlehman

ok, I checked the compressor and it is spinning and the lower line gets cold. I removed the panel where the heat control knob is. There is no tube. There is a white plastic cover. I peaked under and it looks like the knob is electronic?

Anyway, the air still comes out heated. I think it is the temp control knob. Any idea how I can figure out the part to replace to fix this?

Stace
Unread 07-17-2006, 02:24 AM   #10
sdlehman

Bump. Hoping someone will notice this.
Unread 07-17-2006, 04:51 AM   #11
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Control panel may have lost it's calibration, or you could have a bad blend air door motor in the AC/heater housing or it could be a BCM (body control module) problem. It would probably be better if you brought it to your dealer as we often get vehicles in after a outside shop tries to fix a vehicle and charged the customer a fortune to fix the vehicle only to get it and it's still not working then they say it has to go to the dealer to be fixed.
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2006, 06:25 AM   #12
88wagon

had that happen many times. probably get one car every two months where walmart double gaskets the oil filter too.
Unread 07-17-2006, 11:05 AM   #13
jeepjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88wagon
had that happen many times. probably get one car every two months where walmart double gaskets the oil filter too.
I always thought that made is seal better?
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2006, 05:50 PM   #14
sdlehman

I pulled the dash panel with the temp control knob on it. I unplugged the wires and then noticed a little pot which I turned about a 1/4 turn. Plugged back in the wires and started up the Liberty. I have cool air again!

Not sure what I did but I am happy for now.

Thanks to those who posted.

Stace
Unread 07-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #15
chris7874

Stace,

I pulled my climate control unit also and noticed that there are actually two potentiometers on the backside. Which one did you turn and which way did you turn it?

Chris
chris7874 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.