Aftermarket head unit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Aftermarket head unit

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 11-29-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Aftermarket head unit

Has anyone installed a new radio / reciever / dvd player in their KJ?

I really like the Pioneer one and I can find it cheaper.

Has anyone done this? What model / brand did you go with? How do you like it?

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
jeepkj617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

I have the Kenwood KVT-696 with GPS in my KJ,also have the backup camera(pointing forward),with Ipod cable.Love it,works great also.I've had it for about a year with zero issues.

http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_613K...T#overview-tab
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Powerslave
2006 KJ Liberty 

---removed---
Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
01CHEEKEE
2004 KJ Liberty 

One of the easiest installs...whole dash trim piece pops off with 2 (If I remember correctly) pop pins...do a quick search, it's really simple
01CHEEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
bstjunk

I have a 1983 AMC dj5. Pretty much a mail jeep. I have a couple questions.

1. Has anyone put in a aftermarket radio in a old dj5 or a cj?
2. I need to replace the rear main seal, has anyone ever replaced one on a 1983?!
bstjunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 02:53 AM   #6
blackvyper
2002 KJ Liberty 

I just bought a 2002 JEEP Liberty Limited Edition last month in Nürnberg (I live in Germany). I installed my DVD Player while still at the dealer because I wasn't driving around with a cassette radio in 2011.. ha ha ha. Here is a link to my Youtube video so you can see my walkthrough. I also have a video of my Bluetooth OBD II as well as my rear view camera install.

Last edited by blackvyper; 11-30-2011 at 03:28 AM.. Reason: spelling error
blackvyper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Did you buy the new or refurbished kenwood? I do like that model, its not as.. smooth looking as the pioneer, but its nice. I was just concerned about buying the refurbished with only the 90 day warranty.

Having the din and 1/2 in the jeeps is so nice. It makes install go so well, I've done a few before. I've also seen someone fit a double din in a liberty, you have to cut so much dash away... haha

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
jewfromdahood
2003 KJ Liberty 

Kenwood Excelon x395 i believe I paid $140 for it at crutchfield.com and free shipping for order $49+. Really great prices all my audio equipment comes from crutchfield or sonic electronix. Crutchfield will give all the parts to get it to work. Adapters, cables, etc. free. Even my adapters for my speakers (prior to what i use now). My sound system bumps. Now I just have to brace my subwoofers well enough for off roading. This is what I have for my audio system. 230 Amp alternator from Mean green. 4 x Alpine Type-S 6.75" Speakers for the door (with baffles behind them for better sound quality), Kenwood 8105D 300 Watt RMS @ 4 ohms mono amp for my 2 x 12" Kenwoods, and sealed enclosure (came as a bundle deal from crutchfield) ran the 8 gauge wire from the hood the the trunk myself (all wiring is done by me, including the big 3 upgrade. I'm not really a car guy but electrical of almost any kind is a skill of mine), dash speakers are stock for now (have to find small enough speakers as they are rather small 3.5" speakers). Tried to fit Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's but the magnets were too big and the speakers ended up being too tall to fit in (didn't want to cut into the driver and passenger air-vents or modifying it, so I just keep those speakers lying around now... bummer they sound real good too!) I have some rockford fosgates coming in from sonic electronix (thank you cyber monday for $100 speakers for $40) as they were the smallest ones I could find. Also have a 20 Ah battery in the trunk for the subs (used to have a large capacitor but didn't work as well as a battery. Battery is behind the wooden box my grandfather and I made to hide the battery next to the subs). And a raizin volt stabilizer and grounding kit (blue box under hood, can't see new alternator in the picture. came with grounding kit, also is not mounted there anymore I stuck it to the battery. And will just replace the 3M tape when I get a new battery). You can see my Jerusalem flag pulled back that covers my sub and amps. Eventually I will put a 9105D amp for the subs for 500Watts RMS, and kicker 12" or Alpine type-R 12" subs, a bigger battery, and a Kenwood 8405 240Watt RMS amp for the door speakers. Of course what I did is way over the top than most people do. But an aftermarket HU alone will improve sound quality and volume. I installed a decent Sony one for $80 (cheapest i could find) I got from a local audio shop for my mom in her 2002 KJ over thanksgiving and gave her my previous Kenwood 6.5" door speakers. It sounds a lot better than her stock setup (speakers were dead/dying in front or her HU was going bad, didn't care to check as stock systems are always crap).
if you need any audio help visit a local audio shop. NEVER BUY CRAP FROM WALMART THEIR CRAP IS THE WORST QUALITY! Seriously they may be cheap, but my friends that get stuff from them don't have the choices, and always ended up regretting getting it there when they see my setup. My friends always come to me for audio advice.
img_0162.jpg   img_0134.jpg   img_0125.jpg  
2003 Jeep KJ Liberty Sport with 3" Lift Rockfather Deluxe Lift from RRO (It was a gift from my grandparents back off, it was a thanksgiving surprise when they picked me up from the airport, and I saw it lifted) with all OME shocks, and front OME coils, ARB Steel bumper. 2 12" Kenwood Subs, 300 Watt RMS Mono Amp, Alpine Type-S door speakers
jewfromdahood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
jewfromdahood
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackvyper View Post
I just bought a 2002 JEEP Liberty Limited Edition last month in Nürnberg (I live in Germany). I installed my DVD Player while still at the dealer because I wasn't driving around with a cassette radio in 2011.. ha ha ha. Here is a link to my Youtube video so you can see my walkthrough. I also have a video of my Bluetooth OBD II as well as my rear view camera install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-thCP2mAxXI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2qIRu5MvOk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kdymOW021w
Where can I get a bluetooth OBDII for an iPhone 4? Do they make one... Doubt it. I use my iPhone as my GPS and music. works great with my head unit. GPS audio and all phone audio comes through speakers. Fades music out then says what to do for directions. Great because my Subs and speakers drown almost everything out otherwise. I want some kind of setup to read all data off OBDII just so I know what is going on voltage wise, and everything all the time.
Found one that looks promising that can do OBD-II over bluetooth so I don't need to plug in my iPhone. And can still plug it into my HU for my music and such, as well as charging the iPhone
2003 Jeep KJ Liberty Sport with 3" Lift Rockfather Deluxe Lift from RRO (It was a gift from my grandparents back off, it was a thanksgiving surprise when they picked me up from the airport, and I saw it lifted) with all OME shocks, and front OME coils, ARB Steel bumper. 2 12" Kenwood Subs, 300 Watt RMS Mono Amp, Alpine Type-S door speakers

Last edited by jewfromdahood; 11-30-2011 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: found one
jewfromdahood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

They do make one. Thinkgeek.com sells them and you can just download the app on your Iphone to work with the OBDII plug they send you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.