Advice on a potential buy. 2004 Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Advice on a potential buy. 2004 Liberty

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
JColee
1997 ZJ 

Advice on a potential buy. 2004 Liberty

Hello,

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice, or information on things to look for when looking at a 2004 Jeep Liberty.

My cousin asked for my assistance recently in replacing her CPS in her 2004 Liberty and I managed to accidentally break off the sensor in the engine block. We come to find out, the actual reason for the vehicle not starting (MOST LIKELY) would be some wires under the rear of the vehicle near the gas tank, that were being chewed on and are now exposed.

Like I said, the two known problems with the car are:
1. CPS broken off in the engine block
2. frayed wires under the rear of the vehicle

Just today, my cousin asked if I'd be interested in buying the vehicle, in its non-running condition. What do you guys think would be a good price to purchase this vehicle?

Little rust, no body rust, 1 owner (my uncle used it for business, then bought it from his company for his daughter to drive) and the mileage is at about 18X,XXX.

Not knowing much else about the reason it is not running, what would be a good price? I offered her $500, and she threw back $1000. What are some other things to look for? And do you have any idea on how to resolve these issues? (I am aware that the second issue isn't really elaborated on, enough).

Thanks,
Jake

JColee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Here's the thing, you know the vehicle history since it was in the family, and you think you know what's wrong with it which sounds like nothing major. So if it was serviced regularly and not abused then I would offer them $500 like you did and tell them if you can get it running satisfactorily, I would tell them I would give them the other $500 which would total the $1,000 they want. They will be happy then and no family troubles. You can't be too picky for a $1,000 vehicle anyway. ( It's not running so they are not going to get a lot of money for it anyway and you are taking a chance.) Even if you had to tow it to a (good) dealer (gulp) and paid them to get it running you would not be upside down on it as you could part it out. (you said it was otherwise in good shape) And if you get it running, the KJ is actually a good Jeep.

As far as the 04 MY, that is a good year and before they changed the window regulators and had problems.

This is about all I can think of with the info you gave. I am sure others will chime in.

Let us know what happens.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
JColee
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for the reply, that is a great idea. I'll definitely give it a try, and see where that takes me. On a side note, my buddy rear ended someone in his Liberty and has it just sitting on his property, so parts would be pretty available which is also a plus.
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
JColee
1997 ZJ 

My cousin agreed to the terms of paying $500 up front, and then paying a couple hundred bi-weekly until we reach $1000. I'll probably be picking up the Jeep sometime this weekend if all goes well.

I could use some advice on towing the vehicle though, would a tow dolly work? I'm sure I'd have to disconnect the rear drive shaft to do so though. I'll be using a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 to tow it. It's only about 30 miles, that i would need to tow it.
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Short distance, a tow dolly should do the job for you with the rear d shaft disconected.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Leave A/T in park and put T/C shifter in Neutral. T/C in "N" disconnects drivetrain. Then pull it with a towbar.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
JColee
1997 ZJ 

Got the Jeep torn apart today, managed to get the CPS sensor out after a lot of persuasion and broken bolts. The previous owner (my cousin) NEVER washed the vehicle and lived briefly in South Dakota.

Apparently a creature or multiple have been attacking the fuel pump wiring module and have hacked it to bits as well. Does anyone know where I could find this part?

http://www.davesdiscountautoparts.co...FcU7Mgod_CoA9Q

The price is absurd. We're checking local salvage yards currently.

Pictures of the Jeep

Unread 05-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Jeepguy4276

Try rockauto for the part. They are usually going to give the best price and have several options. Rockauto.com
Jeepguy4276 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
JColee
1997 ZJ 

I actually stopped at a local salvage yard that I never knew existed. Got the fuel module wiring and 4 cross member bolts for $32.10.

The numbers on the wiring harnesses are a bit different though, could it be because the Jeep was an overland edition? According to the yard, the Jeep was an 04' as well. The cross member bolt pattern was different too, 3 on each side of the transfer case cross member.

Wiring we pulled out (Chewed up)
(P)56010096AE

New one
(P)56010598ACA

*UPDATED*
I actually just found out that the Jeep I've been working on is a 2003, not a 2004. So Now I'm unsure if the wiring harness will work.

As said before, here is the part that I need:
http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p...6010096AF.html

and here is the part that i accidentally got:
http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p...6010598AC.html

Why is there such a large price difference and is there anyway to splice the harnesses together to make it adaptable?
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
JColee
1997 ZJ 

Just a little update if anyone is interested, after a long day wrenching on the Jeep it has liiiiiiiiiiiiiife! I managed to solder the old connector that connects to the fuel tank breather/filter (attached to the front of the tank) onto the new wiring harness. I also had to deal with two wires, grounds, that needed to be separated. After a long day, drove the Jeep home which is about 30 miles and it drove pretty good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.