Advice needed on differential fluid replacement - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Advice needed on differential fluid replacement

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
Wildebeest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Syn gear oils require sooner OCI's then dino gear oil,this applies to gear oil only.Can't check the condition of the trans or t-case fluid as ATF+4 can not be judged by color or smell since it's dyed red.Vrake fluid and PS fluid are the two most neglected fluids in your vehicle and one is very important and with alot of aluminum used and ABS(if you have it) the fluid condition goes down hill very fast.Water is not really a problem with brake fluid these days,it's the copper content that shows how much corrosion is in the system.
Why would this be?

Wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #17
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
Why would this be?
Only used to gain that 10th of a mpg to meet federal MPG standards,does nothing in helping the diff last longer.The type of oiling in the diff makes what synthetic oil are great for a diffs worst nightmare as it's a splash oiled system and not a forced oiled system(IE has a fluid pump).
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #18
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
Great info here. Does anyone have a link to Liberty maintenance schedules? I'm curious what intervals the different fluids should be changed / flushed at?
Not a direct link, but you can get information for your specific vehicle here.

Chrysler Group vehicle fluid systems do NOT require regular flushing. These systems include: engine oil, transmission oil, axle lube, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and refrigerant. The only exception to this requirement are published in the vehicle maintenance schedules, e.g. engine coolant.
Exceptions to this recommendation include only those instances where a failure has occurred and/or the system has become compromised, contaminated or overheated beyond the normal operating range.
Chrysler Group does NOT recommend aftermarket chemicals to flush the engine, transmission, brake or steering systems. Chemicals contained in these products can damage the system elastomeric components, and contaminate the component fluid, leading to loss of system/component durability and service life. When necessary, only the original approved system fluid should be used to flush these components using teamPSEŽ
approved equipment.
If the engine coolant contains a considerable amount of sediment, clean and flush with Mopar Cooling System Flush, p/n 04856977, or equivalent. Follow with a thorough rinsing to remove all deposits and chemicals. Refill with a minimum of a 50% mixture of the specified coolant and distilled water.
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #19
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Not a direct link, but you can get information for your specific vehicle here.

Chrysler Group vehicle fluid systems do NOT require regular flushing. These systems include: engine oil, transmission oil, axle lube, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and refrigerant. The only exception to this requirement are published in the vehicle maintenance schedules, e.g. engine coolant.
Exceptions to this recommendation include only those instances where a failure has occurred and/or the system has become compromised, contaminated or overheated beyond the normal operating range.
Chrysler Group does NOT recommend aftermarket chemicals to flush the engine, transmission, brake or steering systems. Chemicals contained in these products can damage the system elastomeric components, and contaminate the component fluid, leading to loss of system/component durability and service life. When necessary, only the original approved system fluid should be used to flush these components using teamPSEŽ
approved equipment.
If the engine coolant contains a considerable amount of sediment, clean and flush with Mopar Cooling System Flush, p/n 04856977, or equivalent. Follow with a thorough rinsing to remove all deposits and chemicals. Refill with a minimum of a 50% mixture of the specified coolant and distilled water.
Yeah and I know how this TSB came about and is not what it seems.

If you never plan on keeping the KJ,or any vehicle, for more then 100k go ahead and neglect it and pass on a whole list of problems to the next sucker.Trans flushes,if done on a regular basis,every 30k or 60k, will cause no issues as long as the correct ATF was used and no chemical cleaner.Brake fluid must be checked often for copper content,bad brake fluid drastically effects how your brakes work,more so if you have ABS.There is only one way to remove the old brake fliud,and that is to flush it out either by a vacuum assist or the old manual bleeding and neither will hurt the brake system as that system can generate over 1200psi normally while braking.Your PS system uses ATF and only holds like 1.5qts and is subjected to more heat then your trans.Takes no time to cycle through some new ATF every few years and keep your rack from leaking which can run $1000+ to replace.If you think you do not ever have to change your t-case fluid or diff fluids,well hope you don't mind expensive repairs later on.
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #20
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Yet one more good reason why I avidly read Jeep Forum. Thanks guys for the info! I've got work to do....
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

So I did my diffs this am. I have a whole new respect for doing this service after the sludge I pulled out of the rear in just 24000 miles! It was pretty bad. Gonna attach pics once I shrink them down.
Unread 06-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #22
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

One note: your rear will "explode" with oil everywhere. dawned on me how to avoid this afterward: there is a lip going around the diff plate. once you remove all 10 bolts just tap on the bottom (going towards rear of jeep) gently until you pop your rtv seal. then oil will flow pretty good out. LET IT DRAIN OUT. Then simply finish removing your plate.
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #23
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Pics
20130602_112212.jpg   20130602_113729.jpg   20130602_113741.jpg   20130602_113751.jpg   20130602_122101.jpg  

20130602_122108.jpg   20130602_122746.jpg   20130602_124806.jpg  
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #24
Luke09
2005 KJ Liberty 

Ok .. I've got my head around everything but the damn manual. I fully understand the syn vs dyno deal. But why on earth does the manual say and I quote ...

"The 8.25 Corporate rear axle should use SAE 75W-90 Gear Lubricant. For trailer towing, the lubricant should be replaced with 75W-140 synthetic Gear Lubricant."

I'm in the severe service schedule anyway, so I would prefer the protection over gas mileage... is that the reason for using 85W - 140?

Edit: 2Bobs to the rescue Got it all 'splained to me ... query terminated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.