Adding lift with BDS - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Adding lift with BDS

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 06-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #46
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleo333 View Post
I talked to and revisisted a few more shops and got a long list of no's now. I also talked to my neighbor and they had two questions even though they can't help simply due to time and liability.
1) how do you do the axle drop in the rear in order to put in the iso's? They had to do it in their FJ cruiser and they weren't sure if it was similar.
2) what keeps the springs and stacked iso's from coming out in the rear? Do the stock bumpstops in the top and the new buttom bumpstops (or hockeypucks) keep the spring and isolators seated?
1) with shocks removed ( and some remove the sway bar ) you can jack one side up and push down on the other side to install the springs/iso's etc
2) the bumpstops ( top and bottom ) will more than keep the springs in the rear , no issues there

Unread 06-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #47
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

Awesome I think that's what he was saying he did on his car.

And just so I don't screw this up, it's two upper isolators per side, 3/8" clevis and 1/4" lift plate? This will work stacked on the BDS lift kit right? Doesn't need to be ironman or anything?

And finally if I'm sitting at 2" of lift at all four tires, won't this bring me up higher in the front than the back?
kaleo333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #48
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

BDS is just a bit different
BUT with adding 3/8 inch clevis and 1/4 inch top plate it sits most level when using two extra upper isos
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #49
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

Different.... How so ? It would still work and be safe off-road right?

And what if I used a smaller clevis spacer?

The shop also said they could fabricate something to keep the spring in and hold it at the bottom, is that necessary?
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #50
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

On a side note, you said there are liberties over 4"... Without going the SFA route, how is that done, just curious
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #51
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Different.... How so ? It would still work and be safe off-road right?

And what if I used a smaller clevis spacer?

The shop also said they could fabricate something to keep the spring in and hold it at the bottom, is that necessary?
BDS has different spring rates so maybe just a bit lower but should be about right on
Don't need anything to keep the rear spring in
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #52
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
On a side note, you said there are liberties over 4"... Without going the SFA route, how is that done, just curious
I've been running over four inches of lift for over 140,000 miles on 3 different lifts
all of them we've done here are in the 3.5-4 inches of lift
tjkj ran that height as well for a long time before going to SFA
mine 4.25 inches of lift etc
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #53
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

I guess I'll set up an appointment to have this done next week.
And should I use a smaller clevis spacer, or would accidentally setting the front higher than the back have no effect... I'm mainly looking out for mileage.

And nice lookin jeep by the way! I know I've seen a few other pictures of your rig around too.
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #54
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
I've been running over four inches of lift for over 140,000 miles on 3 different lifts
all of them we've done here are in the 3.5-4 inches of lift
tjkj ran that height as well for a long time before going to SFA
mine 4.25 inches of lift etc
So what specifically are you running to be over 4.25? I know I can't do that until I get lifted UCA's, but are you on JBA's adjust-a-strut package or something else?
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #55
TheBlueKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
So what specifically are you running to be over 4.25? I know I can't do that until I get lifted UCA's, but are you on JBA's adjust-a-strut package or something else?
He just got on the JBA struts now. Before he was at that height with OME 790s, clevis lift and top plate.
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #56
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

Alright good to know. I didn't know you could get over 4" with OME parts.

Also, I'm about to add my RL sliders and full mopar skids, will that be enough weight to bring down the lift amout at all?

I also saw that flyinglow from the forum did some sort of a BDS/daystar combination for lift... Does anyone know how that was done and if it would be an option for me later?
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #57
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueKJ View Post
He just got on the JBA struts now. Before he was at that height with OME 790s, clevis lift and top plate.
WRONG INFORMATION
If you're going to tell what I had at least get it right
never ran clevis or top plate with the 790s
didn't need with the other things I used
Do have the coilovers now
But I was also over 4 inches with the 927s etc
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #58
TheBlueKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

Also, I'm about to add my RL sliders and full mopar skids, will that be enough weight to bring down the lift amout at all?

I also saw that flyinglow from the forum did some sort of a BDS/daystar combination for lift... Does anyone know how that was done and if it would be an option for me later?
Not any amount that you would notice
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #59
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

NO, bad idea unless you like it sitting in the driveway just looking good
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #60
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

So hypothetically, if I was going to re-lift to be over 4"... What's the best way to go about doing that?

And I'm definitely not trying to build some mall crawler, this needs to work off-road.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.