Adding lift with BDS - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Adding lift with BDS

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

After getting quoted $400 and $575 from two different shops to do this, just labor.... I may have to put it off almost indefinitely unless someone thinks they can do it cheaper or knows of a spot that can do it cheaper.....

Any help or suggesting would we awesome thanks for all the help!

kaleo333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Post up and get a M&G together with some other like minded people
May cost you some food and refreshments but labor will be cheaper
At least thats the way we do it around here
Unread 03-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

Alright that would be really cool! but what exactly do you mean by post up and get a M&G with other people?
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #19
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleo333 View Post
Alright that would be really cool! but what exactly do you mean by post up and get a M&G with other people?
For example on LOST JEEPs we have an area for each state/ region
People will post up on there that they are having a Meet and Greet and where
sometimes its just to meet up, sometimes its to help others do work etc.
You could try something like that to see if anyone close by has done a lift and willing to help you/ teach you how to do one on yours
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
I already have the BDS on although I wish I would have done ironman now. But I'm mainly just looking at what size clevis spacer and lift plate. How will I know when I need new shocks?

Just to get a final work plan:
Front:
.375" clevis spaced from jeepinbyal
1/4" lift plate from jeepinbyal
Rear:
? How many rear iso's?

Is that it?
For clevis spacers, I used 2" conduit locknuts that are 1/8th" each. I used two per side. Cost was about $3.50 total, bought em at Lowe's.
Is the BDS really worth the loot when no front shocks are included?
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

The parts aren't really my concern. It's the really high labor costs that I'm trying to work around.
And yeah I do kind of wish I would have gone with a different kit at times... but there isn't much I can do now. The kit is pretty sturdy though at least in my limited perspective. I think the coils have a bit higher strength rating than most... that may be the only upside.
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
After getting quoted $400 and $575 from two different shops to do this, just labor.... I may have to put it off almost indefinitely unless someone thinks they can do it cheaper or knows of a spot that can do it cheaper.....

Any help or suggesting would we awesome thanks for all the help!
The labor is high due to they are charging you for R&I of the coilovers and adding alot of $$$ on top of that because they do not want to deal with it(or understand) thus trying to get you to go elsewhere.

Heck I can do it in less then 2 hours but it's way to cold out for me now,maybe when it get's above 65 degrees I maybe temped to show you how to do it,granted weekdays only.
Unread 03-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #23
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

That would be incredible. I still need to get the parts, so that should give the weather plenty of time to improve.

I could probably do this on a weekday, depending on the hours, because I'm still in high school...
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #24
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

Would anyone still reading this be able to help me...? I have a place to do it or I can drive somewhere that's useful for you. And I can pay you to help! Thanks in advance if anyone out there can help me with this.
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #25
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

What places did you get estimates from? It's 1.9hrs book time via Mitchell for pulling both front struts. Throw in the alignment you need, that's $300 tops. Obviously they don't want to mess with it, and probably would screw up a wet dream. Some of the national chain shops in town won't touch it due to what you are wanting done. My previous employer in town was that way. I lack a garage at home to do it, so can't help you there.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #26
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

These were estimates from a jeep dealership and Predator 4wd that obviously focuses on this kind of work. I guess they just don't really want to do It. I'm about to suck it up this week and just pay a shop because I bought the parts and I'm getting sick of them sitting in my car and I can't find any help... Thanks though!
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #27
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Predator was struggling for business. They make their money off toy funds, and when the economy gets shaky, the toy funds are the first to go. I once was told by them the best lift would be a daystar lift, that's all a KJ is really good for anyways(sigh). Some shops will pad labor due to you supplying parts(understandable since they are not making a profit on the parts), but still that's pretty high. Have to keep calling around to shops, you'll eventually find one here that will do it. I'd stay clear of Tanner, IMO.
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #28
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

I guess I'll keep searching and I have a neighbor I might try to ask that lifted his FJ cruiser... And not to bash anyone's company, but I was definitely surprised that Tanker would charge $50 to trim fenders when everyone else wanted hundreds...and they tried to give me a u-joint front diff when that notorious kj joint went out.... Luckily I found out how to just replace the joint thanks to the forum.
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #29
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

I literally just walked out of Predator and they re-estimated me at $550... I think I give up, I'll just live with these parts in the back of the jeep for the rest of my life...
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #30
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

There are other shops in this town, besides predator, and tanner, just fyi. Just open the phone book, or drive around. There are tons on Academy, Union, Powers, Platte....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.