Adapting Grand Cherokee Fender flares to a KJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Adapting Grand Cherokee Fender flares to a KJ

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 05-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
FrenchChristian
2006 KJ Liberty 

Adapting Grand Cherokee Fender flares to a KJ

Hi guys,

I found a company from Poland who makes Extended Fender flares at good price for Jeep but unfortunately not for the KJ. I know there is plenty of good gear in the US but unfortunately the UK tax man turns the attractive exchange rate into a really expensive transaction as they charge between 25 and 28% for the cost of the parts AND the shipping. So I am looking at stuff for sale within the EEC.

So this company sell complete Kits for the Wrangler YJ and TJ but unless I'm told differently I am pretty sure that would not fit a KJ. There is a kit for the Cherokee XJ and they also sell kits for the Grand cherokee ZJ and WJ. And when I look at the pictures of a stock ZJ and WJ I can see some ressemblance with the KJ Fender flares.

Would anyone who's reading this has adapted Fender flares from another Jeep? If you have from which Brand and from which model of Jeep?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

FrenchChristian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
05renny

My plan is to purchase 4-door flares (not sure which brand/make etc) that match the body lines (really the front bumper is the only concern) and then cut the metal to match the flares. Need to do some trimming to fit the big tires anyways.
05renny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
kjrenegade03
2003 KJ Liberty 

You could always make your own flares with fibreglass and some aluminum. There are plenty of videos on youtube with guys making huge wide flares for older datsun cars. I took inspiration from this to repair my flare to pass state inspection. I used bondo and fibretape with aluminum backing to make mine whole again.
kjrenegade03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #4
FrenchChristian
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrenegade03 View Post
You could always make your own flares with fibreglass and some aluminum. There are plenty of videos on youtube with guys making huge wide flares for older datsun cars. I took inspiration from this to repair my flare to pass state inspection. I used bondo and fibretape with aluminum backing to make mine whole again.
Thanks KJRenegade03,

I am not sure that I am that talented to make my own Flares but I will take a look on Youtube to see how it's done.

To be honest I dropped the idea of completely replacing the stock flares and I am thinking of buying the Heavy Duty Rubber reinforced with steel 3in wide Flexi Flares from Quadratec. It's affordable and with the steel wire inside the Rubber it's possible to give the Rubber the same curve as the plastic flares and once fitted it should keep its shape. So I hope! Lol

So even if I add spacers to my wheels the extra 3in should cover the edge of the wheels.

Has anyone used the Flexi flares already?
FrenchChristian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.