AC/Vent Problems! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > AC/Vent Problems!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 03-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
tilljo
2006 KJ Liberty 

AC/Vent Problems!

My 2006 Jeep Liberty has problems with intermittant AC airflow. Sometimes I have the AC on with normal airflow and then at random times the air will almost stop flowing from the vents (The air often stays cold too). The odd thing is that I will still hear the air flowing inside the system, it just won't be coming out the vents anymore. It's like some door within the system closes randomly. When I redirect the air through the floor vents, or defrost etc, I notice that the slight airflow changes to those settings yet fails to come out the vents except for a slight amount. What could this be?

tilljo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
socks
2004 KJ Liberty 

You might have a vacuum leak somewhere.
Or one of the vacuum hoses has come off of its mounts.
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
JeepCares

The heating-A/C system is a blend-air type system. The two blend-air doors control the amount of conditioned air that is allowed to flow through, or around, the heater core. This single zone heating-A/C system uses only one blend door actuator.

The A/C system is designed for the use of a non-CFC, R-134a refrigerant and uses an A/C evaporator to cool and dehumidify the incoming air prior to blending it with the heated air. A temperature control determines the discharge air temperature by operating the blend door actuator, which moves the blend-air doors. This allows an almost immediate control of the output air temperature of the system. The two mode door actuators operate the mode-air doors which direct the flow of the conditioned air out the various air outlets, depending on the mode selected. The recirculation door actuator operates the recirculation-air door which closes off the fresh air intake and recirculates the air already inside the vehicle. The blower motor controls the velocity of air flowing through the HVAC housing assembly by spinning the blower wheel within the HVAC housings at the selected speed by use of the blower motor resistor.

above information taken from service manual
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
tilljo
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
The two mode door actuators operate the mode-air doors which direct the flow of the conditioned air out the various air outlets, depending on the mode selected.
[/I]
How do the door actuators work? Are they run by vacuum or otherwise...?

Thanks for your input!
tilljo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by socks View Post
You might have a vacuum leak somewhere.
Or one of the vacuum hoses has come off of its mounts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilljo View Post
How do the door actuators work? Are they run by vacuum or otherwise...?
The heating-A/C system uses two vacuum operated mode door actuators (1) to control the movement of the mode-air doors within the HVAC housing.

When vacuum is supplied by the A/C-heater control to the vacuum connector (3) on one side of the defrost/floor actuator or the panel door actuator, the actuator rod is pulled into the actuator, which moves the mode door lever and mode-air door in one direction. When vacuum is supplied by the A/C-heater control to the other side of the actuator, the rod moves the mode-air door in the other direction.

The mode door actuators are retained to the HVAC housing by an integral mounting provision (2) and can be accessed for service from under the driver side of the instrument panel.

The mode door actuators cannot be adjusted or repaired must be replaced if found inoperative or damaged.
06-kj-heat-ac.jpg  
Unread 07-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
DonaS12
2005 KJ Liberty 

Did you ever solve this AC airflow problem? I have a 2005 Liberty and I have had this problem for a while now, hoping to figure out the problem.
DonaS12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Is it all the time, or is it intermittent? That can make a big difference on what it could be. It can be a mode door problem, or it could be an evaporator frosting over.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

I just took my 2012 Liberty on its first long trip , Texas to NYC...The first day about half way through the day, this happened to me. I was pissed and really thought about calling off the trip, I must have AC...I turned it off for about 10min and then turned it back on and it was ok, it did this one more time later that day. Then for the rest of the trip it never did it again. It has never done this before, but Im usually only driving for maybe an hour tops.

Like he said, it will still be cold , but its like the vent is blocked, no air hardly comes out at all. And if you leave it on like this for a while, it will start blowing hot air and I could smell it getting hot, like electrical burning almost.

I have 5k left on my warranty so I was thinking about taking it in to be checked out.
rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Sounds like a frosted over evaporator. If there is an undercharge of the a/c system, the evaporator will get colder than it is designed to, freezing the condensation on the evaporator. It'll build up to the point no air can pass thru it anymore. Only way to fix it is to have a full recovery and recharge of the system. Temporary fix is to turn off the a/c and leave the fan blowing on it. It'll eventually thaw out.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.