AC Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > AC Issues

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
alpertbrown
2003 KJ Liberty 

AC Issues

hello everybody im looking for some AC experts in here. I have a 2003 3.7 liberty auto transmission. the ac has been working fine but one day it just started venting freon out the rear of the compressor until all the freon was discharged. I assumed the compressor was toast and thought nothing of it. I decided to repair the AC before summer really hits.

I replaced:
Ac compressor
low and high side switches
drier

I flushed all lines, condenser, and evaporator. with the cheapo refrigerant flush you can get at autozone.
everything was blown out with dried compressed air until nothing came out. everything sat in my garage for 24 hours just to make sure it was completely dry.

I then hooked every thing up and vacuumed the lines for about 3 hours at around 30hg. I recharged the system with 2 small cans of freon which is exactly 24 oz. the compressor i had came pre oiled so i did not add any additional oil

ac works fine now but at idle the low pressure side reads fine and the high pressure side will eventually climb all the way up until the compressor vents freon. the condenser gets really hot and the low pressure side lines will start to heat up too. all fans turn on just fine and the engine does not overheat

is this a sign of a blocked up condenser? or something else. i know the low pressure line of the condenser should get pretty chilly when all is well. when i serviced the system compressed air blew out both sides of the condenser just fine. could it possibly be a partially blocked condenser?

alpertbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Sounds like low oil in the system(IE compressor) and/or a possible partially plugged orifice tube.

The 3.7 KJ's take about 1.6lbs of R134A and those 12oz cans you buy at autozone do not have 12oz of R134A in them.If they have that stop leak junk in them it's a sure bet your going to plug the system up.Plus you must add oil to the rest of the system,just the oil in the compressor is not enough or like in 99% of the time the oncorrect amount is in the compressors when you get them.The 3.7 KJ's AC system requires 8oz of PAG oil,3oz in the compressor,4oz in the reciever/dryer,and 1oz in the condensor.
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Yeah you can't rely on those cans with oil to take care of your needs. The vast majority of the parts stores inventory has that stop leak crude in it. Its lovely, it plugs up the expensive filters in our machines, so alot of shops put traps on their lines to catch it, and if its in there, the customer gets it tacked onto the bill. You have to add the PAG oil seperately, and in the parts as described already. Flushing the old oil out, and doing an evac was a good thing, on the flip side. You may have a blockage, but I'd also look at the fan again. Here is why. You have a repeated problem, that existed before, and now after the work, to the letter. Usually, but not always, when you see your high side climb, its do to a lack of airflow on the condenser. If it was plugged, you would feel a cold spot. Also, if you have a way to accurately measure temperature, you should see about a 30* difference between the inlet, and outlet of condenser. My worry is, is that your fan may come on but its not moving enough air, and is failing. I'm not staring at a wiring diagram this second, but if it's a three wire 2-speed fan, you may not have high anymore. On the flipside, you didn't say you replaced the orifice tube which you should have, and has been said, it could easily be plugged. There is also only one way to install them, with an arrow on them. Make sure it points in the direction of flow, from the condenser to the evaporator.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yeah that orifice tube is idiot proof on a KJ as it requires you to replace a whole line as it is not replaceable by itself.
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
alpertbrown
2003 KJ Liberty 

Cool. The orifice tube assembly was replaced. I used the cans without lubricant. The other thing was that the system was working fine before off of the factory charge. What could have caused it to do the whole over heating and venting of refrigerant before. Its basically doing the same thing still.
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
alpertbrown
2003 KJ Liberty 

The fan is a 2 wire fan that supplements the big ol fan attached to the water pump. Maybe I need to take it to a shop to have it flushed with a machine
Unread 05-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

The electric fan is your primary fan, the mechanical fan, when equipped is an auxilary. You may have to take it to a shop and let them sort it out.
Unread 05-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
alpertbrown
2003 KJ Liberty 

I will try adding a little but of oil. From what I calculate I may be 3oz shy of oil. If that has no change I will try a new condenser before I give up. I forgot to mention that the electric fan had been out along with the shroud for a very long time. That may have caused the initial over pressure issue. Everything is back in now and seems to run well until I'm at idle where the high pressure climbs up until it vents.
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
alpertbrown
2003 KJ Liberty 

ok so i didnt get a chance to add more oil but i played around with the car at idle for an hour before i left for work today. at idle the high side pressure eventually climbs up until the compressor vents. if i spray the condenser down with water the high side will drop to normal ranges. I also noticed that my electric fan is comming on but when it does the fan attached to the water pump is barely spinning. is that normal operation? will a clogged condenser not shed heat fast enough? another thing that i noticed is that the compressor clutch stays on the whole time. Im not sure if its supposed to cycle at idle or not?
Unread 06-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

I'm a little confused, as your statements are conflicting. You said your electric fan and shroud have been out for a while, then you said its working? Your electric fan is the primary fan. It is supposed to come on before the mechanical fan clutch locks. If you see a temp difference of more that 30* from inlet to outlet of the condenser, then you likely have a restriction. With gauges hooked up, your high side will climb until the electric fan comes on, then it should stop, and actually start dropping unless its getting hot outside. Clutch will cycle if the low side pressure is dropping down in the 30psi realm. That happens when its cool outside, so a lack of thermal load on the evaporator, your blower is on low for an extended time, or you are low on charge.
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yeah the electric fan should turn on when AC command is sensed or when the engine temp reaches about 219 degrees.The mechanical fan clutch should not lock until about 230 degrees regardless of AC operating or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.