911! front brake emergency! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 911! front brake emergency!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCORGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 05-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

911! front brake emergency!

Okay, so I am way up a creek, sans paddle, here guys.

The front brakes started squealing last week. Pulled them yesterday after work and the warning tab was rubbing the disc. Got new pads, popped them in, and can not for the life of me get the caliper back on.
I left the caliper bracket on and just removed the piston part. Slid the pads into the bracket and they fit beautifully. So the pads are the correct ones.
But when I go to slide the caliper back on it won't clear the pads. And the piston is completely compressed.
On the bracket the where the lower bolt goes seems to be my problem, as it is fully extended and holds the caliper way to far towards the inner fender well. The upper mounting hole is moves in and out allowing me to get it all lined up, but the bottom hole is solid, if it would compress a little like the top one I'd be just fine.
If I force it really tough I can get it to clear the pads and rotor but then the rotor is sitting at a ridiculous angle and is not even close to flat against the hub. And the angle also makes it so that the bolt holes for the caliper to caliper bracket don't line up straight. I believe this is due to the bottom bolt hole on the bracket not being adjustable.

What am I doing wrong here? I fought this thing until 1am last night and gave up, I put the old pads in and bolted the jeep back together. But then I hit another huge problem,
the drivers side bleeder is totally stripped out and frozen so I can't bleed the brakes for the drivers side. I bleed the crap out of the passenger side but that wasn't enough, I have no pedal resistance at all.
My roommate gave me a ride to work this morning and I have tomorrow off, but I have to get his fixed.
Please help me guys, I'm am really really freaking out here!

Unread 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Luke09
2005 KJ Liberty 

I assume your talking about the slide pin? covered by a boot? If so remove slide pin clean grease and re-install. It can get really stuck but it will come out. Pull and twist... Good luck!
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

Omg. Thank you so much! I thought it might not move so I was afraid to try and break it loose.
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Luke09
2005 KJ Liberty 

You betcha! I've been there before ...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.