4wd Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 4wd Problems

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

4wd Problems

Every time I shift into 4wd hi, there is a speed dependent clunk noise that comes from the front end. There seems to be a little bit of play in the drive shaft coming out of the t-case into the front diff, so I was thinking it might be the u-joint?

When in 4wd low, I get the same noise, except it occurs at a much higher rate at the same speeds as 4wd hi. Could this actually be a transfer case problem?

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
jeepkj617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

No u joint in the front driveshaft
Have you looked at the rear boot on the front driveshaft?
Could possibly be the issue
easy fix
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Good to know hah I havnt actually had a chance to really look at it, plus its been so cold and I don't have a garage or anything.

I'm not entirely sure what to look for there, but I did some searching now that I know what/were it is. Looks like the whole joint needs to be replaced if that's the problem?

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
jeepkj617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

You can get a repair kit thats about 65-70 bucks
hardest part is removing the driveshaft and even thats not very hard to remove

Tags
4wd , clunk noise , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.