4wd part time and full time how to change - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 4wd part time and full time how to change

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
EP267

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsKJ View Post
You could have either transfer case - the model you have doesn't dictate which case comes with it.

Does it have 5 positions on the handle - or 4?

If 5 (2WD, 4 Part Time, 4 Full Time, N, 4 Lo) then you have a SelecTrac Full Time case. If the handle has 4 positions - no Full Time - then you have the Command Trac case and you should NOT drive on dry pavement in 4 High.

Look at your Jeep and let us know what you have if there are any more questions about 4X4 operation.

Bob
Ok, I will look at them will let you know it tomorrow.
Thank you very much!

EP267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #17
EP267

It has 4 positions. 2Hi, 4HI , N, 4LO
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #18
01CHEEKEE
2004 KJ Liberty 

Then you do not have selec-trac...and do not have "full time" 4wd
01CHEEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #19
EP267

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01CHEEKEE View Post
Then you do not have selec-trac...and do not have "full time" 4wd
Ok.. What is the difference between 4HI and 4Lo?
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #20
01CHEEKEE
2004 KJ Liberty 

4hi can be used up to ~55 and switched on/off on the fly by simply lifting your foot off the accelerator momentarily.

4lo is for off roading/mud/crawling and has to be engaged by stopping, place gear shift into N, putting in 4 low, then driving. And you shouldn't go over ~10-15 I think it is...

If there's is an actual mechanical difference internally as far as locking diff's, I don't know

4hi is good enough for all normal driving conditions...
01CHEEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #21
EP267

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01CHEEKEE View Post
4hi can be used up to ~55 and switched on/off on the fly by simply lifting your foot off the accelerator momentarily.

4lo is for off roading/mud/crawling and has to be engaged by stopping, place gear shift into N, putting in 4 low, then driving. And you shouldn't go over ~10-15 I think it is...

If there's is an actual mechanical difference internally as far as locking diff's, I don't know

4hi is good enough for all normal driving conditions...
I understand now. Thank you very much.

Yesterday's sound of car , I realized; it couldn't shift to 4lo, it had been on "N".. ooopps.. ( I am a women )
But I learned much more..

Much much appreciated!!!
Unread 01-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #22
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

4 low gives a additional 2.72:1 gear reduction.

Never use part time 4wd or 4 low on dry/wet pavement.The t-case is locked forcing the front and rear driveshafts to turn the same speed no matter what and your geared slightly different in the front and rear diffs so you will get binding even driving in a straight line.No factory lockers in a KJ ever so you will not have to deal that issue untill you add them yourself.
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #23
02libbyfirstcar
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002
4 low gives a additional 2.72:1 gear reduction.

Never use part time 4wd or 4 low on dry/wet pavement.The t-case is locked forcing the front and rear driveshafts to turn the same speed no matter what and your geared slightly different in the front and rear diffs so you will get binding even driving in a straight line.No factory lockers in a KJ ever so you will not have to deal that issue untill you add them yourself.
I've never heard of this before however the way you describe it makes since. So what about if I get like 1" of snow?
02libbyfirstcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #24
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02libbyfirstcar View Post
So what about if I get like 1" of snow?
2wd or if you have the select trac you can use the full time 4wd option.

Buy better tires and you will not need 4wd at all.In 2 winters here in Colorado I have yet to even lock in my front hubs(mine is far different then yours and far from stock) so no 4wd even for 12" of snow.Haven't needed it unless I'm on the trail.
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #25
02libbyfirstcar
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

2wd or if you have the select trac you can use the full time 4wd option.

Buy better tires and you will not need 4wd at all.In 2 winters here in Colorado I have yet to even lock in my front hubs(mine is far different then yours and far from stock) so no 4wd even for 12" of snow.Haven't needed it unless I'm on the trail.
Well I haven't slipped yet in 2wd with command trac. However I do have new tires coming on Monday. And yes I am very aware that you are different from mine. A picture of your jeep is the background on my computer haha
02libbyfirstcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #26
jedi105
2005 KJ Liberty 

What is better for deep soft sand? 4HI or 4LOW. And what tire pressure? I used 4HI and 16 lbs last time but I felt like I was bogging down a bit especially going from rut to rut. I am also using standard passenger tires (versus the knobby types). The bogging down may have been my fault as I was very nervous so I may not have been accelerating properly or staying in the right ruts. This was my first go at off road and the ruts were huge leading me to believe the sand was very deep.
jedi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #27
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi105 View Post
What is better for deep soft sand? 4HI or 4LOW. And what tire pressure? I used 4HI and 16 lbs last time but I felt like I was bogging down a bit especially going from rut to rut. I am also using standard passenger tires (versus the knobby types). The bogging down may have been my fault as I was very nervous so I may not have been accelerating properly or staying in the right ruts. This was my first go at off road and the ruts were huge leading me to believe the sand was very deep.
When off-roading in sand, mud, etc. most use 4-LO. However, often when running on sand such as on the beach you like to get up to speed - and 4-LO should only run up to about 15mph. Any faster than that and you're turning some serious RPM's.

Work on your technique a bit more. As you said it could be the acceleration and use of the throttle that caused the Jeep to bog down vs being in the correct TC range.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #28
jedi105
2005 KJ Liberty 

thanks for the info. Going out again this weekend so maybe with time I'll become more confident. I love my Jeep but as it is my first one, I have no idea what I can do with it yet. Friends tell me that I can really dish out the punishment but I guess until I try something and see I can for myself, then I wont believe it. I'm really looking forward to when I can go mudding and get her really dirty.
jedi105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.