4wd part time and full time how to change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 4wd part time and full time how to change

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
noasad
2002 KJ Liberty 

4wd part time and full time how to change

i pull up on my "4Hi" and just the part time light lights up then i read on the internet there is 4 x4 full time and a 4 x 4 low , 3 seetings but all i have is 4 hi and 4 low and when in 4 hi it just says partime

what does partime ?

how do you get it into 4 high fullltime?

thanks

noasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

Two different transfer cases. Some have full time 4x4, some only have part time.
Unread 09-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
noasad
2002 KJ Liberty 

what is the difference between partime and full time?

thansk
noasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
ivorycruncher

The full-time system is electronically controlled. The computer engages 4wd mode as needed when it detects traction problems. You can safely leave 4wd mode with this system on any surface, including dry pavement.

On the other hand, the part-time system, when engaged in 4wd high, mechanically locks the front and rear driveshafts together. This 4wd mode cannot be used on firm ground, unless you want to risk damaging your drivetrain. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but the front wheels on a vehicle turn a bit faster than the rear wheels. When the front and rear wheels are locked via driveshaft and forced to turn at the same speed, it causes bind-up in the drivetrain, which can cause erratic jerking when driving and quite possibly damage to the transmission, transfer case, etc. This system should only be engaged on loose dirt, icy roads, etc., where conditions allow the wheels to spin easily and prevent the bind-up.
ivorycruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 05:55 AM   #5
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

There was Selec-Trac and Command-Trac offered on the KJ's.

You can drive in a straight line (only) on dry pavement in part-time 4wd...but there is really no need for it. The binding comes from turning with the locked axles. When you turn, the outside wheels turn faster then the inside wheels...but with the axle locked and moving at the same speed....something has to give.

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
Jakked

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
There was Selec-Trac and Command-Trac offered on the KJ's.

You can drive in a straight line (only) on dry pavement in part-time 4wd...but there is really no need for it. The binding comes from turning with the locked axles. When you turn, the outside wheels turn faster then the inside wheels...but with the axle locked and moving at the same speed....something has to give.
Exactly. If you feel the need to give your part-time 4-Hi a good run once in a while, you can do it on dry paved roads, provided you're traveling in a straight line and there aren't any major suface imperfections (potholes, rumble strips, etc). And you can shift into/out of part-time 4-Hi at speed.
1986 Trooper 2.3L I-4 4x4 5-sp
Jakked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
ivorycruncher

Ah, I was told to never use it on dry pavement, ever. I guess it's the old "better safe than sorry" mentality, which makes sense. But I can tell you that with my 99 Explorer that I traded in for my new KK, there were times when I had 4wd high on over mostly straight dry pavement, and every so often it would jerk rather harshly, so I would say you're better off leaving it off. Like you said, what's the point of having it on for dry roads anyway?

To be perfectly honest, I wish they'd combine the two systems. My Explorer was all-time 4wd auto, with 4wd high and 4wd low selections on the control knob. I had it all in one 4wd system, except for a true 2wd mode of course. But then again, Jeep's 4wd systems are supposedly superior to all, so they must be doing something right.
ivorycruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
jeepjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorycruncher View Post
The full-time system is electronically controlled. The computer engages 4wd mode as needed when it detects traction problems. You can safely leave 4wd mode with this system on any surface, including dry pavement.

On the other hand, the part-time system, when engaged in 4wd high, mechanically locks the front and rear driveshafts together. This 4wd mode cannot be used on firm ground, unless you want to risk damaging your drivetrain. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but the front wheels on a vehicle turn a bit faster than the rear wheels. When the front and rear wheels are locked via driveshaft and forced to turn at the same speed, it causes bind-up in the drivetrain, which can cause erratic jerking when driving and quite possibly damage to the transmission, transfer case, etc. This system should only be engaged on loose dirt, icy roads, etc., where conditions allow the wheels to spin easily and prevent the bind-up.
You are right about the part time but not right about the full time.

The kj's selectrac has an open diff in the tcase and lets the torque go to the front or rear axle as it pleases. It does NOT work like a KK and Im personally glad it does not.

noasad, the select trac transfer case lets you have the option of running on any surface while in 4wd, this is called full time, meaning you can run 4wd 'FULL' time. The part time means just that, you can only use 4wd 'PART' of the time. Never use part time on hard surfaces.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
EP267

Hi

I still don't know how to shift from Part Time to Full Time? Please help..
EP267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP267 View Post
I still don't know how to shift from Part Time to Full Time? Please help..
Move t-case shifter from part time to full time.That is assuming you have the select trac t-case to begin with.
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
EP267

Thank you.. What I was told is ; Gear should be "N" when shifting from part time to full time.. After that when I drove, there was terrible sound coming from my Jeep.. I never used it before with 4WD(full time). I always drive Part time ..
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Thank you.. What I was told is ; Gear should be "N" when shifting from part time to full time.. After that when I drove, there was terrible sound coming from my Jeep.. I never used it before with 4WD(full time). I always drive Part time ..
Only need to be in "N" to shift into 4low.Going into part time or full time you can be driving as fast a 55mph,just need to let off the gas pedal when shifting the t-case.

It's all explained in the owners manual.
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP267
Are you sure you have Full Time?

If there are 5 positions on your T-case handle you have the Full Time SelecTrac system. If you have 4 positions on the handle you the Part Time case and should NEVER drive in Part Time on dry surfaces.

With the FT system you can use it anytime/anywhere.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
EP267

I have 2005 jeep liberty renegade 4x4. I really don't give my attention how many positions it has..
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I have 2005 jeep liberty renegade 4x4.
You could have either transfer case - the model you have doesn't dictate which case comes with it.

Does it have 5 positions on the handle - or 4?

If 5 (2WD, 4 Part Time, 4 Full Time, N, 4 Lo) then you have a SelecTrac Full Time case. If the handle has 4 positions - no Full Time - then you have the Command Trac case and you should NOT drive on dry pavement in 4 High.

Look at your Jeep and let us know what you have if there are any more questions about 4X4 operation.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.