4WD Not Engaging - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 4WD Not Engaging

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-22-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
jjo

4WD Not Engaging

What would cause my 4WD not to engage (Full or Part) unless I briefly drive in reverse first?

I'm taking it in for an inspection next week to the dealership, and I told them about this issue, but I'd like to point them in some general direction first.

jjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjo
What would cause my 4WD not to engage (Full or Part) unless I briefly drive in reverse first?

I'm taking it in for an inspection next week to the dealership, and I told them about this issue, but I'd like to point them in some general direction first.
Binding pressure ... check your tires for correct pressures. Does the shifter move easily or with difficulty when you do finally get it into 4wd by backing up?

08 Jeep Patriot, FD I CVT2 2.4L

02 KJ Sport traded ... I miss the ole' girl, except when I stop at the gas station
usswasp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2005, 04:18 PM   #3
jjo

The shifter seems fine regardless.

All tires have 35psi.

The front wheels do not spin when in 4WD unless I back up briefly, then put it back in drive.
Unread 12-22-2005, 04:24 PM   #4
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjo
The shifter seems fine regardless.

All tires have 35psi.

The front wheels do not spin when in 4WD unless I back up briefly, then put it back in drive.

Hmmmm ... I guess I don't know then. I do remember that our Liberty didn't come out of 4wd (especially full-time) very easily when we first got it. I think the previous owner did not use it much and it was just a bit stiff and needed to be worked a few times. One winter with snow in Erie, PA running full-time a lot cured that problem. Now it shifts easily.

02 KJ Sport traded ... I miss the ole' girl, except when I stop at the gas station
Unread 12-22-2005, 06:35 PM   #5
WXman
2001 WJ 

My '05 takes several seconds to engage once i shift to 4-high. Sometimes i do back up to make it engage but i found that if i wait several seconds it will go ahead and go in. i have no clue why.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
WXman
2001 WJ 

oops...double post
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
jjo

Actually, I just checked my pressure. They are all 29.5 psi. At what point does the pressure "warning" light show on the dash?
Unread 12-22-2005, 10:17 PM   #8
auggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjo
Actually, I just checked my pressure. They are all 29.5 psi. At what point does the pressure "warning" light show on the dash?

This might seem stupid, but do all '05 renegade's have the option of full time 4wd? I assume that 4wd lo is full time but that's not what I'm looking for ...
auggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2005, 12:21 AM   #9
brewcider

The 05 Renegades have CommandTrac standard. SelecTrac is optional on the "D" package.

CommandTrac has:
2-Hi
4-Part-Time
Neutral
4-Low

SelecTrac has:
2-Hi
4-Part-Time
4-Full-Time
Neutral
4-Low

4-Low is not Full Time, it is Part-Time, meaning there will be binding on pavement.

--------------

To help with the shifting problem, sometimes I throw the tranny into Neutral before shifting the transfer case. This I think takes pressure off the transfer case and make it slip into 4 wheel drive easier.

Hope this helps!
Unread 12-23-2005, 03:04 AM   #10
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Are you doing this with the jeep on a lift or something?
It's pretty common that it takes a little bit for the transfer case to engage/disengage, especially when you are locking or unlocking it (which you would be doing every time you shift into 4wd with a command track).
Sometimes it "pops" in when after you drive for a few yards, or put it in reverse or something like that.
This happens especially on newer trucks because the parts are not quite "worn in" yet.
LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2005, 08:22 AM   #11
jjo

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to investigate further...
Unread 12-24-2005, 09:54 PM   #12
jjo

Ok, here's what I've determined. And if this is the case, then I feel kinda stupid bringing it up in the first place...

If I am standing still, in drive, foot on the brake, and shift it into either 4WD full or part time, it won't engage.

In the same scenario, but I put it in 4WD while in neutral then shift into drive, it engages.

While driving and I shift into 4WD, it engages.

Is this normal conditions for a Liberty? I don't seem to remember my '00 Cherokee (w/Command Trac) behaving this way.

FYI, I tested this on an icy slope.
Unread 12-24-2005, 10:56 PM   #13
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjo
Ok, here's what I've determined. And if this is the case, then I feel kinda stupid bringing it up in the first place...

If I am standing still, in drive, foot on the brake, and shift it into either 4WD full or part time, it won't engage.

In the same scenario, but I put it in 4WD while in neutral then shift into drive, it engages.

While driving and I shift into 4WD, it engages.

Is this normal conditions for a Liberty? I don't seem to remember my '00 Cherokee (w/Command Trac) behaving this way.

FYI, I tested this on an icy slope.
Its okay. You really should be moving to engage the 4wd properly. It won't respond well sitting still. The gears need to mess properly and when they are moving you had the best chance of them aligning properly. I could shift a 231 sometimes at a stand still but never been able to shift a 242 at a stand still and actually get lucky that all the gears line up. That's why I tell my wife you need to know before you're in trouble that you need 4WD. If you get stuck its going to be harder to shift into 4wd, not impossible, but harder.

Unread 12-25-2005, 06:32 AM   #14
gonz165

It sounds like your 4WD is working fine. Try to be moving when you engage. The instructions on how to properly engage 4WD are in the owner's manual. If you haven't already, you should read it to familiarize yourself with your vehicle.
gonz165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.