4WD Liberty Sport 2002 Shifter Cable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 4WD Liberty Sport 2002 Shifter Cable?

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
Tivoli
2002 KJ Liberty 

4WD Liberty Sport 2002 Shifter Cable?

Hi,
Well, my Jeep has been in and out of the shop repeatedly and nothing is really getting fixed. I brought it in last time for heating problems and check engine light being on. After about 6 times in the shop, I'm still not getting normal heat. Just picked it up the other night and the mechanic informed me the shifter cable was bad. Showed me some little black rubber, I think, black thing. Shifting into 4wd was fine before. So, I now have 2 wheel drive only. Said all I needed was the cable for this manual unit. However, apparently only a kit is sold which costs, with labor, $535. I have already spent about $1700 for, essentially, nothing. The check engine light is finally off, but, truthfully, after it's been 'fixed' it stays off for a couple of days and then comes back on again, so I really don't know if it will stay off. As you can tell, I'm pretty frustrated. Not sure why I need to pay for something that was ok before they fooled with it, and not sure why I need to pay for a whole kit when they tell me all I need is the cable.
Does anyone know where I can purchase just the cable? Thank you for any help you can offer. Ellen

Tivoli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

You sure you don't just need the bushing:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/t...shing-3009409/

There is also a different bushing on the hand lever side of the 4wd cable.
Unread 02-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
Tivoli
2002 KJ Liberty 

I have no clue. He said it was the cable. I asked about just the bushing and he said that would not work. These guys are supposedly decent mechanics, but i'm not sure. I've been dealing with the owner and they have been in business for 25 years, so I guess I am supposed to assume they know what they are talking about.....but who knows.
Unread 02-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

I don't see a separate part number for the cable anywhere, but I've never heard of it breaking. Of course it's not impossible that it did but I know the bushings on both ends do rot and fail. I'm assuming you have the 231 (command trac) Tcase. Here's a link to a parts diagram:

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ssembly=550433

The handle end (under the console) has this bushing I believe:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...pn=CRO53004810

I'll keep looking for the cable number.
Unread 02-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
Tivoli
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thank you very much for the diagram. He never showed me anything except the broken bushing. I will bring the picture to him tomorrow and see what he says. Do you have a mechanic you trust in your area? I am not very far. Thanks again!
Unread 02-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Ahh yes you are close. I am a bit too picky for the few shops I have tried. I try to do everything myself except on my wife's minivan. We got a great lifetime service deal from DarCars when we purchased it new and I can't beat the prices because of it. We get 8.95 oil changes every 4k and it takes 6.4 quarts!! I still do the PCV and any engine air or cabin air filters. We even buy tires from them since we haven't been able to beat the price on the Michelin's I like.

I'm still thinking you only need the bushing which is a relatively easy fix when it isn't too cold out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.