4WD Lever Not Engaging - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 4WD Lever Not Engaging

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 05-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
Lively13
2002 KJ Liberty 

4WD Lever Not Engaging

Hi guys thank you for reading.

First time Jeeper and first post as well. Went on the off road (nothing major) for the first time and used the 4wd and all was good. when it was time to pack up and go i tried to engage the lever into 4wd and the lever moves up and down like butter with ZERO resistance. I got under the car with a flash light while a friend moved the lever up and down. Found the cable wire that is supposed to switch into 4wd modes, however the lever was doing nothing but with my hand on the cable i could feel the wire moving so i assume maybe the wire snapped off? or is there an adjustment somewhere?

A little history on the car: The car sat for 2 1/2 years before it. Person selling said it had an electrical issue and doesnt turn on, so i purchased it for 1400. Problems were; Burned inline fuse, Battery was bad and hooked up backwards (probably why the fuse blew), MAF was bad. Now its running great other than the new problem.

Lively13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
forcrz6
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lively13 View Post
Hi guys thank you for reading.

First time Jeeper and first post as well. Went on the off road (nothing major) for the first time and used the 4wd and all was good. when it was time to pack up and go i tried to engage the lever into 4wd and the lever moves up and down like butter with ZERO resistance. I got under the car with a flash light while a friend moved the lever up and down. Found the cable wire that is supposed to switch into 4wd modes, however the lever was doing nothing but with my hand on the cable i could feel the wire moving so i assume maybe the wire snapped off? or is there an adjustment somewhere?

A little history on the car: The car sat for 2 1/2 years before it. Person selling said it had an electrical issue and doesnt turn on, so i purchased it for 1400. Problems were; Burned inline fuse, Battery was bad and hooked up backwards (probably why the fuse blew), MAF was bad. Now its running great other than the new problem.
I had a libby with the exact same issue. it is the little bushing that engages/dis-ingages the 4wd that has to be replaced. It is at the end of the cable. Real simple like a 10 min job even. it is like 9$ at the local auto parts store, and all you need to do is remove 1 plate to get to it unless you have small enough hands and then you just need to put it on.
forcrz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.