45RFE Transmission Flush/Service? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 45RFE Transmission Flush/Service?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
bilr514
2003 KJ Liberty 

45RFE Transmission Flush/Service?

As some of you know from reading my other threads, I got my 2003 Renegade KJ up and running this last weekend.

Dealer sent me a coupon for a transmission service for $119 which included new filter, gasket, fluid, etc. They had mysteriously used the ford FLUSH on there a few places, so I assumed that's what they were going to do. Took it there this morning and they said my service was actually going to be $219 because of the RFE transmission being "heavy duty" and it wasn't really a flush but actually a drain and fill. I read the fine print of the coupon and the only exclusions were for IMPORT or HEMIs...Neither of which applied to me.

Got pissed and left without leaving my Jeep. The Jeep has 138K on it (fresh rebuild)...Shifts smoothly, however the oil pan is quite rusty (I have a newly sourced MOPAR one ready to go on) and there is fluid leakage on the pan. I had already purchased the filter and gasket kit (WIX) and was going to do the service myself, but saw the coupon for a "flush" from the dealer so thought I would go that route.

I don't know the service history of the transmission...I can only assume it wasn't serviced at all based on how poorly the PO cared for the engine and the interior of the Jeep.

Here's my question for you guys. Should I drop the pan and replace the filter/fluid myself as I was intending to do (I am more than capable), should I take it to a local reputable car shop for a FLUSH, or should I take it to a different dealer (about 30 minutes from my house)?

The stealership I went to said that Chrysler doesn't recommend a flush on these transmissions. Thoughts?

Bill

bilr514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Use only the OEM filters(from dealer) if you have the 45RFE,will include the updated spin on filter not offered in aftermarket kits.No gasket either,use RTV.

$219 for the flush is actually a good price since ATF+4 is not cheap($5-$7 per qt).Most independent shops are not much cheaper and if they are they will not be using the correct ATF+4.
Unread 05-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
bilr514
2003 KJ Liberty 

I don't disagree that $219 wouldn't be too bad except that it isn't a flush...so they'll only be replacing about 5 quarts...5 x $7 is only $35 in fluid....
bilr514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilr514 View Post
I don't disagree that $219 wouldn't be too bad except that it isn't a flush...so they'll only be replacing about 5 quarts...5 x $7 is only $35 in fluid....
Gotta think delaer prices,closer to $10 per qt and can take up to 7qts for a drain/fill on a 45RFE.Then you got the filter kit,RTV,and off course labor so $219 is not a outrageous price for a filter change either.
Unread 05-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Just make sure whoever does it uses ATF+4.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.