4 wheel drive shifting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 4 wheel drive shifting

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
SnowLiberty

4 wheel drive shifting

I apologize for re posting a somewhat common topic. I have a 06 jeep liberty automatic and will be living in Colorado for awhile. I have never used my 4hi or 4 lo here in Texas. My question is this...

1. When shifting "on the fly" (As the owners manual describes it) do I need to be in neutral or can I be in drive while shifting from 2hi to 4hi.

2. The owners manual recommends not exceeding 55mph when shifting to 4hi. The owners manual doesn't specify if I can drive faster than 55mph while in 4hi. Does that mean not to exceed 55mph while in 4hi or just while shifting into 4hi.

3. Lastly when shifting into either 4hi or 4lo do I need to have my foot engaged on the brake or should I let off the brake when shifting.

Thank you all who reply with helping this jeep newbie out. God Bless

SnowLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLiberty
I apologize for re posting a somewhat common topic. I have a 06 jeep liberty automatic and will be living in Colorado for awhile. I have never used my 4hi or 4 lo here in Texas. My question is this... 1. When shifting "on the fly" (As the owners manual describes it) do I need to be in neutral or can I be in drive while shifting from 2hi to 4hi. 2. The owners manual recommends not exceeding 55mph when shifting to 4hi. The owners manual doesn't specify if I can drive faster than 55mph while in 4hi. Does that mean not to exceed 55mph while in 4hi or just while shifting into 4hi. 3. Lastly when shifting into either 4hi or 4lo do I need to have my foot engaged on the brake or should I let off the brake when shifting. Thank you all who reply with helping this jeep newbie out. God Bless
When you shift on the fly, you have to be in "drive", hence "on the fly". Whenever it says shift on the fly, that means you can shift into 4hi while driving, you just can't do it over 55mph as it isn't good for the transfer case. When you are in 4hi, you can drive as fast as you want. However when in 4lo, DO NOT go over 15mph or so, as it's not good for the transfer case, it'll bind and etc. just do not do it. When shifting into 4lo, keep foot on brake and shift the transmission into neutral. When shifting into 4hi, it doesn't matter if foot is on brake or not. Did I miss anything? Haha but anyways, the Jeep is amazing with snow and I rarely have to shift into 4WD in the snow. And I live in Chicago. But I know Colorado is hilly in areas, so it's not the same.
02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
PoundHipster
2005 KJ Liberty 

Welcome to Colorado!

You don't need to put the tranny into neutral when switching from 2hi to 4hi, you do when going into 4lo.

Don't think you need to hold down the brake when going into 4lo, but definitely is the impulse thing to do (and can't hurt)

I believe I read in the manual you can go up to 75 now in 4hi (didn't used to be that high with the Cherokee). The max speed in 4lo is something like 5-10mph.

Probably won't have to use 4lo that often (if ever) if you are on paved roads, and really only need 4hi when you don't have enough traction with the rear wheels and never on dry pavement.
PoundHipster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundHipster
Don't think you need to hold down the brake when going into 4lo, but definitely is the impulse thing to do (and can't hurt)
I always hold down the brake because if you don't, the car moves and that can effect the car from getting into 4LO since the drive shafts are moving and obviously those are connected to the t-case.
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
SnowLiberty

Thank you. That answered my question perfectly. Yall are the best
SnowLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Which transfer case do you have? That makes a difference as well
And if its bad enough to have to use 4 wheel drive you sure the hell do not want to be driving 75 MPH!
Good snow rated tires and you barely use 4 wheel drive anyways , plus learning how to drive in snow
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLiberty View Post
I apologize for re posting a somewhat common topic. I have a 06 jeep liberty automatic and will be living in Colorado for awhile. I have never used my 4hi or 4 lo here in Texas. My question is this...

1. When shifting "on the fly" (As the owners manual describes it) do I need to be in neutral or can I be in drive while shifting from 2hi to 4hi. I make it a habit on slippery roads to put it in neutral when shifting into 4hi. If your rear tires are spinning when the front tires are not(like on ice), you'll destroy the T-case. If you're stopped, or slowly moving and not on the gas, then you can ease it into 4hi.

2. The owners manual recommends not exceeding 55mph when shifting to 4hi. The owners manual doesn't specify if I can drive faster than 55mph while in 4hi. Does that mean not to exceed 55mph while in 4hi or just while shifting into 4hi. If road conditions dictate the need to use 4hi, then there is absolutely no reason you should be going 55MPH! 4hi is for use in snow/ice and offroad, and not to be used on wet or dry pavement.

3. Lastly when shifting into either 4hi or 4lo do I need to have my foot engaged on the brake or should I let off the brake when shifting. For 4hi you can do it not on the brake in some situations. The key thing is that the front tires should be doing what the back tires are doing. If you are stopped, then the back and front tires should both not be rotating. If on ice, it is possible to be stopped and your back tires could be spinning. That is where you want to be on the brake. For 4lo, you need to be in neutral, and practically stopped, or stopped. I ease it into gear especially if the vehicle is inching forward. Slight movement can make it easier to slide the gears in on 4lo. As was said, you'll only be using 4lo if you decide to venture onto the trails here.

Thank you all who reply with helping this jeep newbie out. God Bless
Welcome to Colorado, from a fellow Coloradoan. Guessing you may be military, but a lot of businesses bring people in for short stints as well. Happy New Year and be safe. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask us.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty View Post
I always hold down the brake because if you don't, the car moves and that can effect the car from getting into 4LO since the drive shafts are moving and obviously those are connected to the t-case.
Actually it is EASIER to get into 4Lo when the Jeep is moving. Place the transmission into Neutral while the Jeep is moving very slowly (2 - 3mph), shift the transfer case to Neutral then slide it over to 4Lo. It's perfecly normal for the gears to grind slightly when doing so as the transfer case does not synchronize the gears in 4Lo.

If the Jeep is stopped when trying to shift to 4Lo it is difficult to get it into gear at all since you may be at a spot where the gear teeth can't mesh since they're not aligned.

Just a further note to the original poster...DO NOT drive your Jeep in 4Hi on wet or dry pavement as you'll destroy driveline components. Only use 4Hi on trails or in snow. Now for those with the SelecTrac transfer case that has Full Time on the shifter handle, you can drive in Full Time 4WD on any road surface at any speed - 365 days a year if you want. But that transfer case is made for it.

If you only have 2WD, 4Hi, N and 4Lo on your shifter handle you can only drive in 4Hi and 4Lo on snowy, muddy, gravel or sandy surfaces.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsKJ
Actually it is EASIER to get into 4Lo when the Jeep is moving. Place the transmission into Neutral while the Jeep is moving very slowly (2 - 3mph), shift the transfer case to Neutral then slide it over to 4Lo. It's perfecly normal for the gears to grind slightly when doing so as the transfer case does not synchronize the gears in 4Lo. If the Jeep is stopped when trying to shift to 4Lo it is difficult to get it into gear at all since you may be at a spot where the gear teeth can't mesh since they're not aligned. Just a further note to the original poster...DO NOT drive your Jeep in 4Hi on wet or dry pavement as you'll destroy driveline components. Only use 4Hi on trails or in snow. Now for those with the SelecTrac transfer case that has Full Time on the shifter handle, you can drive in Full Time 4WD on any road surface at any speed - 365 days a year if you want. But that transfer case is made for it. If you only have 2WD, 4Hi, N and 4Lo on your shifter handle you can only drive in 4Hi and 4Lo on snowy, muddy, gravel or sandy surfaces. Bob
That's odd. For me, it is actually easier while my Jeep is stopped. When it's moving, it grinds and bounces out of it and is very difficult to get into gear.
Unread 01-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Experience, when you are going slow and slipping it into low or high range you can feel what it is doing. Just don't try and jerk it in and out, seen too many that are like they are wrestling a bull instead of engaging 4 wheel drive
Unread 01-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Yep, just like driving the big trucks without the clutch, you have to treat her like a lady, not like a cheap bar fly,lol. Going from 2hi to 4hi or vice verse, it's usually just a pop and you're done. Going down in to low man's territory, you have to be nice, and feel the gear teeth. You'll feel them touching, then just gently pull her home, and she'll go right in. Key is to let her roll very slowly, creeping. You should try an old NP 205 all gear monster. That's the only way she will shift usually!
Unread 01-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
profdlp
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
...you have to treat her like a lady, not like a cheap bar fly...it's usually just a pop and you're done. Going down in to low man's territory, you have to be nice, and feel the gear teeth. You'll feel them touching, then just gently pull her home, and she'll go right in. Key is to let her roll very slowly, creeping...
Reading that made me feel all funny inside.
profdlp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
Reading that made me feel all funny inside.
Oh holy hell

lol
Unread 01-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #14
profdlp
2007 KJ Liberty 

profdlp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #15
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Yep, just like driving the big trucks without the clutch, you have to treat her like a lady, not like a cheap bar fly,lol. Going from 2hi to 4hi or vice verse, it's usually just a pop and you're done. Going down in to low man's territory, you have to be nice, and feel the gear teeth. You'll feel them touching, then just gently pull her home, and she'll go right in. Key is to let her roll very slowly, creeping. You should try an old NP 205 all gear monster. That's the only way she will shift usually!
That's the best description I have ever heard. Absolutely 100% true.

Think I need a cigarette...
02blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.