30 Minute - Replacement of Alternator (and Battery) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 30 Minute - Replacement of Alternator (and Battery)

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
S_Liberty_M
2003 KJ Liberty 

30 Minute - Replacement of Alternator (and Battery)

I recently had to change the alternator and battery in our 2003 Liberty.

I have never changed an alternator. I am handy, but never liked doing much under the hood. However, on our 2003 Jeep Liberty, I found in incredibly easy. Including taking the time to watch the 4 minute YouTube video on the tension pulley, the entire replacement of alternator and battery took 32 minutes.

Here's the scoop.

Step 1: Watch YouTube video explaining loosening the serpentine belt tension pulley. This is only 4 minutes and does a nice quick explanation. This will speed up things if (like me) you have never removed a serpentine belt.

Step 2: Disconnect the battery. (Both cables) (Pic Below)

Step 3: Disconnect the cables going to the alternator.(Pic Below)

Step 4: Using the information in the video, loosen the tension pulley. (I found it easier to use a pipe like in the video.) You will need a 15mm socket for this.

Step 5: Slightly move the serpentine belt off of the alternator pulley. Be careful that you don’t let it fall out of place or you will have to refer to the diagram and put the belt back on all of the pulleys.

Step 6: Remove the three (3) bolts holding the alternator in place. The two front bolts will use the same 15mm socket and the third bolt (on top) will use a smaller one. (I believe a 13mm)

Step 7: Remove the alternator from the vehicle. I had to wrestle it a bit to free it, but then was able to remove it without any issues. (Pic Below)

(Reversing the steps above)

Step 8: Insert the new alternator and bolt it in place. (Pic Below)

Step 9: Replace the cables going to the alternator.(Pic Below)

Step 10: (Refer to video) Align the serpentine belt back in place (if fallen out) saving the alternator pulley for last, (easiest to attach). Move the tension pulley to loosen up the belt and slip the belt onto the last remaining pulley. (Pic Below)

You’re done with the alternator! Now for the battery.

Step 11: Loosen the retaining bolt and remove the old battery. Insert the new battery and tighten down the retaining bolt. (Pic Below)

Step 12: Attach the cables to the correct posts. (I know I should not have to go here, but... RED=(+)positive… and BLACK= (-)negative.) (Pic Below)

You’re Done.

step-1.jpg   step-2.jpg   step-3.jpg   step-7.jpg   steps-8-9.jpg  

step-10.jpg   steps-11-12.jpg  

Last edited by S_Liberty_M; 07-31-2013 at 11:17 AM..
S_Liberty_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Jeepguy4276

Nice, quick, simple write up to explain to those who haven't done one. Nice explanation! I'm sure many will find it helpful. I think it also helps promote doing the job yourself to those who don't dare or don't think they can do it.
Jeepguy4276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice first post.

Thanks for posting your step by step.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Great write up. I have had occassion to go a little deeper and have had to remove the alternator twice now. yeah, it's pretty easy.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.