3.7L Liberty engine developed loud knock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 3.7L Liberty engine developed loud knock

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 02-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Jeffin8tor
2002 KJ Liberty 

3.7L Liberty engine developed loud knock

Hello, we have a 2002 Liberty with the 3.7L V-6 engine with 178,000 miles that just developed a loud knock in the engine. To me it sounds like it's internal, (possibly a connecting rod bearing?), but wanted to ask if anyone knows of any common things to look for before I get into this too deeply?

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeffin8tor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

First post - welcome to JF -

Chances are are good that your guess is correct. Not being a heavy mechanic - possibly another member will be able to jump in with a bit more advice.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Liberty&Freedom
2003 KJ Liberty 

Last winter I had a rocker arm come loose... Made a terrible racket. Turns out this can happen on these jeeps, and it's not a major repair as long as nothing else was damaged. (couple hundred bucks was all for me.)
Unread 12-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
raineydoug
2003 KK Liberty 

3.7 liter verry bad knock in engine

bought 2003 liberty 3.7l. stopped running withpreviouse owner. checked codes and came up bad crank sensor. removed sensor and entire end was broken off. installed new sensor fired right up but knocks soooo bad sounds like two rod coming out. what could it be?
raineydoug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

From your description, probably a rod flopping around in the engine, and/or a crank flopping around. The key piece of evidence is the crank sensor. The end was damaged, and that is a dead giveaway to an internal problem with the noise you have.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
raineydoug
2003 KK Liberty 

Thanks! Sounds like a fun job ahead! Merry Christmas!
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Here's what a bad rod bearing sounds like when the engine is torn down - I replaced my '03 engine with one from an '07 (after doing some mods to make it work with my Jeep's computer) and when I pulled my original this is what I found. It's the #6 cylinder:

Here's an overview of the engine swap.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
raineydoug
2003 KK Liberty 

thanks Bob! You really gave a lot of useful information! how hard was that engine to get out? lucks like a lot of work at first glance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.