3.7 L, performance degraded on lower rpms. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 3.7 L, performance degraded on lower rpms.

KrawlOff-Road.com now Carries Iron Rock Off Road!!!!!Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
GMV93
2009 WK 

3.7 L, performance degraded on lower rpms.

Dear friends, i have been driving this KJ for 2 years and now it is given to my wife. I bought a WK CRD, and been driving for some time.

My question is related to KJ 3.7 it has bifuel setup, runs on propane and gasoline. My problem is not related to the fuel i choose to use.

When cruising at very low speeds, such as 20 mph, and wanted to accelerate fast, to pass a truck for example, when i floor it, it kicks down reluctantly,car acts sluggish for few seconds (compared to what i remember.) It accelerates, but slower than expected, it reaches to approx 4000 rpms, and starts to accelerate faster than it happens on lower rpm. feeling is like a huge(until 3900 rpm) turbo lagon a modified small turbo diesel engine. when reaced to 3900- 4100 rpm, it feels like somebody starts to push it from back

it feels like car is lack of fuel at higher rpms, but it is not, i know this because bifuel setup uses seperate injectors with seperate fuel tanks due to having LPG tank. i can switch tp LPG an symptom is same.

this is not a general loss of power problem. car is on 80k miles. no idling problems, no grinding noises, no shifting problems during normal driving conditions. no check engine light. ( what i know as a weird thing is, car vibrates for 1 second on hills, climbing on reverse gear while parking infront of our house ,actually i read it is common on this transmission)

can this be related to torque converter locking mechanism(thinking the reverse gear)? do you know when does torque converter lock?

any first hand experience? it would be highly appreciated to have reply from you.

GMV93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2015, 01:15 AM   #2
GMV93
2009 WK 

this morning everything is normal. it accelerates as i remember. from standing still or rolling. no problems. variables changed are outside temperature (lower) engine oil temperature together with transmission oil temperature. any ideas?

also i tried Kj on a slope few hours ago, i tried to climb with a constant gas pedal position, it cant decide to down shift or up shift, but holds the speed.
Unread 05-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #3
WheelinKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Have you checked your tire pressure? I don't know what size tires you have but my 245/75/16's will cause my jeep to be sluggish and heavy if even one is low by as little as 5 psi.

It's likely not that but a very simple thing to rule out
WheelinKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
GMV93
2009 WK 

tires are ok. they are stock size. there is a varible which effects the low rpm performance. it changes right after engine increases its speed to approx 4000 rpm. there should be a source for this problem. but it seems nobody has a clue on that. i am on my own again
Unread 05-16-2015, 06:43 AM   #5
mjuenem
2005 KJ Liberty 

I just changed my plugs because of an intermittent miss under load and unexpectedly it seems to have gained 30hp. Very happy. Prolly worth a try if you haven't since you noticed this problem.
mjuenem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2015, 01:17 AM   #6
GMV93
2009 WK 

my spark plugs are not old. but i will replace them to get rid of this variable. I started to feel intermittent low rpm problems during idling. exact symptoms i faced when my TPS gone bad two years ago! I checked TPS percentage when it is full throttle. it shows 108% open which is impossible.
Unread 05-26-2015, 01:50 AM   #7
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMV93 View Post
my spark plugs are not old. but i will replace them to get rid of this variable. I started to feel intermittent low rpm problems during idling. exact symptoms i faced when my TPS gone bad two years ago! I checked TPS percentage when it is full throttle. it shows 108% open which is impossible.
I'd say your tps **** the bed if it thinks its 108% open
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.