2007 Liberty Steering/Ignition Shaft issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2007 Liberty Steering/Ignition Shaft issue

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
makkd
2007 KJ Liberty 

2007 Liberty Steering/Ignition Shaft issue

Tried to start my 07 Liberty this am. Turned key and nothing. Lights all came on, radio, dash etc. Called AAA. Battery and electrical all ok.
Towed to local mechanic I {trust}.
He checked ignition and the housing connection. He took steering column apart and the "shaft" was sheared off.

Sorry didn't get all the exact wording... he said he called jeep and part is on back order. he looked for used and couldn't find one readily available. He is thinking of what best to do in mean time, perhaps jury rig a switch for me...

Q: What part is he referring to in this... is it the shaft or column he is replacing? If so, part #? Is this common? Any details, part and/pr costs regarding this would be very helpful.
Thanks,
M

makkd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
rmadona
2007 KJ Liberty 

I purchased my daughter a 07 limited last year and had a similiar issue. Push the shifter forward and try to start it. I didn't replace it yet but it is a lockout or switch of some type on the shifter.
rmadona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkd View Post
Tried to start my 07 Liberty this am. Turned key and nothing. Lights all came on, radio, dash etc. Called AAA. Battery and electrical all ok.
Towed to local mechanic I {trust}.
He checked ignition and the housing connection. He took steering column apart and the "shaft" was sheared off.

Sorry didn't get all the exact wording... he said he called jeep and part is on back order. he looked for used and couldn't find one readily available. He is thinking of what best to do in mean time, perhaps jury rig a switch for me...

Q: What part is he referring to in this... is it the shaft or column he is replacing? If so, part #? Is this common? Any details, part and/pr costs regarding this would be very helpful.
Thanks,
M
He is talking about the ignition actuator assembly.....there are plenty of posts about them breaking, where to buy one and how to fix it.

The dealers always swear that you have to buy a complete new steering column.

Do a search on ignition actuator pin.
Unread 03-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
makkd
2007 KJ Liberty 

Thanks! it got fixed. mechanic actually took it all apart, then used epoxy to put shaft back together. It is generally a temp fix, but can drive and this epoxy will never come apart. and yes, dealer wanted to replace whole steering column for $600+. I paid 150 (2 hrs labor), he didnt charge for epoxy
makkd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ignition , steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.