2007 Liberty Sport Window Fix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2007 Liberty Sport Window Fix

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 09-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
prljeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

2007 Liberty Sport Window Fix

This was our 1st break after 3 years! I was excited it lasted so long after hearing so many issues with the windows. I was not about to let the dealer replace it with Chrysler's inferior design again - so we came up with this. My father-in-law helped and he happens to be a skilled trades tool maker for Chrysler.

Just thought I'd post some pictures of our window fix. This happens to be the left rear window regulator.

First we had to drill out the pop rivets in the bottom of the window track to get the OEM white piece out (not in pictures).

The black/gray piece you see is a small nylon block that we milled down to form the new arms that hold the white OEM piece to the track. Both arms had snapped off. We also had to run the mill over the OEM piece where the black nylon piece is resting to establish a level surface.

Finally we drilled two holes (1/32 inch) and ran wire through them and twisted it around and through the "pipe cleaner" mechanism inside the spring that runs the window up and down. DON'T make it to tight because it will cause friction on the guide wire that may cause the up/down to malfunction. NOTE - our up/down cable had also broken off of the white OEM part.

I think this could be replicated without a mill. I'm working on pictures for that.

So far this is our best window....very smooth and it feels much sturdier.

prljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
prljeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

Pix
dsc00934.jpg  
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
prljeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

pix 2
dsc00935.jpg  
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
prljeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

Pix 3
dsc00936.jpg  
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Good pics there.

Maybe do a bit smaller though next time -makes them a bit hard to see the whole thing. If you upload to something like photobucket - you can then set the pic size to something like 640x480. It may be possible with the JF upload too, but have not tried it.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
bmrrwolfe
2006 KJ Liberty 

I'm interested to see what you did, but I'm not sure I understand what you did, any way to make it a little simpler for a noob?
I need to do right rear in my 06, its been held up by a block a wood since I got it last year as it hasn't really bothered me enough to pay $100 for the Steigers kit..
bmrrwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
prljeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

YES - I will resize the pix next time....sorry!

If your problem is like everyone else's - the problem is mainly with the white plastic piece that holds the glass and moves up and down on the track.

The two main fail points on the white piece are the two little arms that hold the piece to the track and the small plastic encasing the "spring with the pipe cleaner" in it that attaches it to the white piece.

For the two small arm - Mine broke off and I replaced them with the gray nylon block piece pictured.

As for when/if the "spring and pipe cleaner" - you need to find a way to reattach it to the white piece as that is what pulls the window up and down. We accomplished this by drilling two small pilot holes and running wire in between them to the "pipe cleaner" to make the attachment.

Total cost was $0.00 because we had everything laying around.
Unread 09-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
dtaylor1

I"m working on my 2002 Right front window.. The Plastic pipe that holds the piping that pushes and pulls the window is broken. I'm going to try and modify mine.. I noticed that plastic tube is the same as 3/8" fuel line. I had some extra line laying around. So I cut the old pipe off. Drilled out the inside of the plastic that used to hold it. Tomorrrow I'm going to epoxy the metal line to the old plastic holders.. Can't be any worse then the factory part.

I'll let you know if it works.. And maybe take a couple pictures..
dtaylor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Please do provide pics and keep us inforrmed. My left rear window gave up the ghost last week.....
Has anyone had any luck calling Chrysler to see if they will pay for atleast part of the cost?

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

I guess you guys know about the Steiger Performance kits for repairing broken regulators? I've recently used one to fix my left rear window, which broke a second time after being replaced by the dealer only six months ago.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
dtaylor1

My first try didn't work.. The epoxy didn't hold the metal tube into the plastic housing.. So I bought a new one. When the next one breaks I'll spend more time scuffing up the parts and try another way to hold them together.
dtaylor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
JEEP4X465

both of my rear window broke within an hour of eachother! i was a little pissed, but this makes me feel a little bit better. i will see what i can do this weekend. glad i found you guys. thanks
JEEP4X465 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.