2007 Liberty Check Engine Light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2007 Liberty Check Engine Light

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 06-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
07LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

2007 Liberty Check Engine Light

A few weeks ago my check engine light came on and stayed on.....I did the key trick to get the code and got nothing at all....the light just stayed on
I have't had time to get it to a scanner to search for codes and was wondering if the Key trick should give me the codes or am I possibly having issues with the light itself?.....I've changed the plugs and oil recently and the JEEP is running great..no issues. If I get no codes with the key trick should I worry about going on a 2 1/2 hour trip with the light on?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Unread 06-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The key trick does not work on all years and does not display all codes either.Get the code pulled as it could be a simple as a bad gas cap or as major as needing new cats.
Unread 06-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
moparfreak1809
2006 KJ Liberty 

Yea I'd definitely get it check out because you never no if you'll be doing more harm then good so yea check the code out and let us no what it is
moparfreak1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
JeepCares

from the 2007 Liberty Owner Manual:

Malfunction Indicator Light
This light is part of an onboard diagnostic system
called OBD II which monitors engine and automatic
transmission control systems. This light
will illuminate when the ignition is in the ON position
before engine start. If the bulb does not come on when
turning the ignition key from OFF to ON, have the
condition checked promptly.
Certain conditions such has a loose or missing gas cap,
poor fuel quality, etc. may illuminate the light after
engine start. The vehicle should be serviced if the light
stays on through several typical driving cycles. In most
situations, the vehicle will drive normally and will not
require towing.
When the engine is running, the “Malfunction Indicator
Light” may flash to alert of serious conditions that could
lead to immediate loss of power or severe catalytic
converter damage. The vehicle should be serviced as
soon as possible if this occurs.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07LIB View Post
A few weeks ago my check engine light came on and stayed on.....I did the key trick to get the code and got nothing at all....the light just stayed on
I have't had time to get it to a scanner to search for codes and was wondering if the Key trick should give me the codes or am I possibly having issues with the light itself?.....I've changed the plugs and oil recently and the JEEP is running great..no issues. If I get no codes with the key trick should I worry about going on a 2 1/2 hour trip with the light on?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
If all else, go to bautozone and get the flunkee to come out and pull codes. Dont buy any of their junk though, that they will try and push on you. Best idea is to take it to a knowledgable technician and get his/her opinion.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
03LL
2003 KJ Liberty 

My 2003 Liberty gives codes on below the speedometer. Did jeep take this away for the 2007s?
03LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #7
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LL View Post
My 2003 Liberty gives codes on below the speedometer. Did jeep take this away for the 2007s?
Yes they stopped allowing us to use the key ON/OFF trick to get codes from about 2005 I think
Unread 06-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

My '05 will do it, but its a non-issue here. Theres really too much info that needs to be viewed to rely on that means only. Even back in the glory days of pre-OBDII, you couldn't reliably get all the codes pulled via the key method.
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
07LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

Just to update.....I finally went to a dealer to get the codes and left as I don't think $107.00 plus taxes was worth the 5 minutes..... before I could get around to taking it in to a local machanic I put some gas in it and a couple of days later the light went off and has stayed off for about a week now....
I'm thinking it was a loose gas cap or bad gas....
Good thing I did'nt give the dealer $107.00:
Unread 06-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
Drable
2004 KJ Liberty 

I would recommend buying a scanner for yourself. I got one on Amazon.Com for $80 and it has freeze frame data and live data and it works on all OBDII compliant vehicles, which is basically, all vehicles 1996 and newer.

The main reason I recommend this, is I had 3 different places tell me 3 different things and after I bought my scanner, I traced the problem to something completely different than all 3 places.

All Autozone told me was a random misfire code. One shop told me either the left cat was bad or fuel injectors, and the third place told me fuel injectors or a fuel pump check valve.

With my scanner, and help from the guys here, it turned out to be an O2 sensor.

Trust me... get your own scanner.
Drable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Scantools are nice, but not all are created equal. You can see a decent amount of stuff with OBDII generic, which is what you are using, but spend a little money to get even a used scantool with enhanced coverage, and you'll never look back.
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
Drable
2004 KJ Liberty 

Street... What is "enhanced coverage?"

Mine was regularly $200 but on sale from Amazon for $80. It is an Innova 3040. It has freeze frame data and live data. Seemed like it was a good one. The only thing I saw that mine does not have is a graphing function.

What am I missing that could cause me to miss a diagnoses?

I am curious because having seen the benefit of having a good scan tool, I guarantee I will always own one, and would definitely consider getting an even better one.
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drable View Post

Mine was regularly $200 but on sale from Amazon for $80. It is an Innova 3040. It has freeze frame data and live data. Seemed like it was a good one. The only thing I saw that mine does not have is a graphing function.

I am curious because having seen the benefit of having a good scan tool, I guarantee I will always own one, and would definitely consider getting an even better one.
To access all OBDII functions and all the live data you could ever want your looking at spending $3500+ for a Snapon or $5000+ for the OEM StarScan.With OEM scanner you can also access Chryslers website and download flashes and programs(does cost $$$ to do so and one time use per program bought).
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #14
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drable View Post

Lot of information that isn't being displayed on a generic reading. Here is a screenshot from the datastream of my own KJ with a Soluspro. The full list of data wont fit on the screen.

Unread 06-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
Drable
2004 KJ Liberty 

OMG!!!

No... I am not spending $3000 to $5000!

Thanks for making me feel like the amateur that I am guys

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.