2007 Jeep Liberty Transmission Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2007 Jeep Liberty Transmission Problem

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
cinderellaii
2007 KJ Liberty 

2007 Jeep Liberty Transmission Problem

My jeep stopped on the road today. I could barely pulled it into a Sears auto center. The guys checked it for me and said the transmission needed to be replaced but they couldn't do it. I had it towed to a mechanic I knew for years. He tried to check whether the fluid was OK, but only found out there was no dipstick in my transmission. I checked in the forum and learned it was not taken by someone by mistake. It was designed not to have one installed. I'll call the dealer tomorrow ask for a 2006 dipstick, since somone on the forum has done that.

Where do you go to buy a used and reliable transmission? My mechanic thinks it's not worth getting a new one. I checked on ebay and it seems to me a lot of sellers only deliver to business address?! My mechanic operates from his own garage. He says he could try to rebuild it if we cannot find a used one, but that's the last resort.

Thank you very much for your help! My jeep has a little over 80K miles on it.

cinderellaii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Later models don't use a dipstick, partially in the name of keeping untrained people from messing with them. There is a dipstick made to check them, but you also need a way of reading the internal fluid temp(meaning a decent scantool). Your mechanic should already be aware of that by now, as this is old tech anymore. If he was in the dark, perhaps you may consider a better technician who keeps up with things.

Problem with used transmissions, I've had poor luck, even with places like LKQ, getting a tranny that was worth a darn. Best bet, if you plan on keeping it, get it rebuilt, or buy a reman unit. Another thing that concerns me, is the mileage. 80k miles, if properly maintained(meaning fluid services at recommended intervals, with correct fluid and level checked correctly) is way too early to lose a transmission. You should have had it already serviced at least once. The tranny cooler should be replaced, but at the very least flushed out. Failure to do so will likely end in premature failure of the next transmission. Some places will refuse to warranty a tranny if proof cant be shown of it being done.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
cinderellaii
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Later models don't use a dipstick, partially in the name of keeping untrained people from messing with them. There is a dipstick made to check them, but you also need a way of reading the internal fluid temp(meaning a decent scantool). Your mechanic should already be aware of that by now, as this is old tech anymore. If he was in the dark, perhaps you may consider a better technician who keeps up with things.

Problem with used transmissions, I've had poor luck, even with places like LKQ, getting a tranny that was worth a darn. Best bet, if you plan on keeping it, get it rebuilt, or buy a reman unit. Another thing that concerns me, is the mileage. 80k miles, if properly maintained(meaning fluid services at recommended intervals, with correct fluid and level checked correctly) is way too early to lose a transmission. You should have had it already serviced at least once. The tranny cooler should be replaced, but at the very least flushed out. Failure to do so will likely end in premature failure of the next transmission. Some places will refuse to warranty a tranny if proof cant be shown of it being done.
Thanks for your reply! He's the only mechanic I know, so I guess I have no other choice. I just called Meineke where my car is serviced every 3 months, and they told me I only had oil changes. I guess I never had my transmission properly serviced. My bad.
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
cinderellaii
2007 KJ Liberty 

I found a transmission wholesale shop on the internet last night, and the guy just quoted me $800-$1200 including parts and labor, besides one year/10,000 miles warranty. Does it sound reasonable or too good to be true? I checked him on BBB. He is not BBB accredited, and there was one solved complaint in 2011.
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderellaii View Post
I found a transmission wholesale shop on the internet last night, and the guy just quoted me $800-$1200 including parts and labor, besides one year/10,000 miles warranty. Does it sound reasonable or too good to be true? I checked him on BBB. He is not BBB accredited, and there was one solved complaint in 2011.
You get what you pay for. Thats way underpriced. Only a year/10k warranty? He doesn't have much faith in his stuff.
Reminds me of this guy here in town:
http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/P...168620896.html
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.