JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KJ Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   2006 Liberty vibrations? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/2006-liberty-vibrations-1533023/)

SIGP2101 06-06-2013 08:07 AM

2006 Liberty vibrations?

Just recently I got Liberty in really excellent shape. Car is vibrating significantly during acceleration only. Vibrations disappear the moment car shifts to a higher gear.

Another problem I noticed is consumption of the gas. It is 19.5 - 20 L per 100 Km/12 M per Gal - city driving, lots of stop and go. Is this normal? So far to mitigate this I changed air filter, cleaned TB, and air temp sensor. Got new sparks and oil but didn't have time yet to change all that.

Where is the PCV valve located, want to clean that one too. Anything else I should that DIYer can do to improve efficiency.

Appreciated.

grenade187 06-06-2013 03:09 PM

As for the vibration, check out the front driveshaft. The boot protecting the CV at the transfer case is prone to failing, leading to premature wear of the joint itself.

I've got an 02 kj limited, lifted 2.5" and getting 15L/100km in the city.. but the mileage you're getting isn't uncommon, I've spoken with several kj owners who are getting about the same as you are.

SIGP2101 06-07-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenade187 (Post 15528120)
As for the vibration, check out the front driveshaft. The boot protecting the CV at the transfer case is prone to failing, leading to premature wear of the joint itself.

I've got an 02 kj limited, lifted 2.5" and getting 15L/100km in the city.. but the mileage you're getting isn't uncommon, I've spoken with several kj owners who are getting about the same as you are.

Thanks for the input, really appreciated. Starting point has been established :wave: Also mine is 2.5 lifted, looks nice with 245 tires but rubbing.

CMedford 06-12-2013 02:56 PM

Vibration and Humming...
had my tires rotated and flushed transmission two weeks ago. Have a vibration starting a 45mph up to.. (not admitting). Figured tires out of balance. Took it in.. had tires rebalanced, twice now. Took Liberty back in and had them move the tires back to see if it is a tire issue... unfortunately, I still have the vibration and now, a humming like I am driving on the highway "stay awake" marks...
Where should I look first? Suggestions?

cinderellaii 06-13-2013 08:21 AM

My Jeep Liberty 2007 has the exact same issue. It started ever since I had a brand new transmission installed. The vibration starts at 39mph and 45mph. Vibrations disappear the moment car shifts to a higher gear (or lower). Sometimes it makes a jerk at 45mph and continues accelerating without any problem. My technician said the transmission oil looks pink and nice so I don't know if flushing the transmission would help.

Thanks!!!

tommudd 06-13-2013 09:30 AM

Some thing to start with
Check tire balance
front drive shaft rear boot
rear ujoints, they can look and feel OK but still be worn out and causing issues
also left side CV/ Intermediate shaft maybe rusted together / worn out

SIGP2101 06-17-2013 02:02 PM

Any body managed to fix it yet?
It seams it is common problem judging by net.
I will take mine in this week with all suggestions from this site.

SIGP2101 06-20-2013 08:52 AM

Car went in and it was diagnosed in 5 minutes. U joints. Both were replaced at rear drive shaft and car is as new now. I wanted to replace front one but mechanic said no need for that. Still good.

bvan1130 06-20-2013 09:07 AM

My jeep is giving me the following noise in the rear. This exact video someone posted is what its doing. Can you tell me what this may be and how much you think it costs to fix?

cinderellaii 06-21-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGP2101 (Post 15585375)
Car went in and it was diagnosed in 5 minutes. U joints. Both were replaced at rear drive shaft and car is as new now. I wanted to replace front one but mechanic said no need for that. Still good.

Congratulations!!! Can I ask where you had it done? Jeep dealer or a garage?

tommudd 06-21-2013 06:05 PM

Easy to do yourself

SIGP2101 06-25-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinderellaii (Post 15590122)
Congratulations!!! Can I ask where you had it done? Jeep dealer or a garage?

Local garage.

cinderellaii 08-09-2013 12:14 PM

Could someone let me know what U Joints are short for? I took my Jeep to my local Meineke, and the technician said he never heard of "U Joints".

He checked the front Drive shafts and said he didn't see anything wrong with it.

tommudd 08-09-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinderellaii (Post 15775390)
Could someone let me know what U Joints are short for? I took my Jeep to my local Meineke, and the technician said he never heard of "U Joints".

He checked the front Drive shafts and said he didn't see anything wrong with it.

UJOINTS= Universal Joints
If the tech did not know what you were talking about PLEASE go somewhere else since he's a dumba**. Anyone who knows anything at all about cars etc knows what a U-Joint is
Front drive shaft check the rear boot to see if it is still there or not,

cinderellaii 08-09-2013 12:54 PM

Thanks a lot! I am going to try another garage tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommudd (Post 15775403)
UJOINTS= Universal Joints
If the tech did not know what you were talking about PLEASE go somewhere else since he's a dumba**. Anyone who knows anything at all about cars etc knows what a U-Joint is
Front drive shaft check the rear boot to see if it is still there or not,

The time now is 03:49 PM.