2006 liberty Tail Lights melting; Midas sketchy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2006 liberty Tail Lights melting; Midas sketchy

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
acsguitar

2006 liberty Tail Lights melting; Midas sketchy

So my wife has a Jeep Liberty 2006.

The other weekend we got pulled over. Both of her tail lights were out.
She got them swapped out at midas (she likes it there apparently) and the other day we noticed they were out again.

So she took it back and was wondering what was going on. Now they've told her that the bulp and socket/plastic is melted. They think the whole assembly needs to be replaced and want 400 bucks for it.

I'm wondering if this guys just popped in the wrong Wattage bulb and screwed everything up.

I'm wondering why they didn't notice the "Melted' problem when she first went in.

Apparently this is the issue via midas:

""loose plastic inside tail light lenses is contacting bulbs causing them to burn out. Tried to remove plastic from right rear lens and could not without destroying the assembly. Replacement of both lenses is necessary for bulbs to last.:"

Is that an easy fix

Anyways any ideas would be great.
Haven't posted here in ages! sold my wrangler recently to take the train

[FONT="Impact"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #55
[COLOR="Blue"]2005 Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition[/COLOR]
Jeep Noob and proud of it[/FONT]
[FONT="Fixedsys"]Need free computer help. I'm a nerd you can ask me.
acsguitar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yeah the wrong wattage bulbs could have been the cause but the 3-5 watt difference it would take a long time to cause any problems.

I would be keeping my foot of the brake pedal at long stop lights and drive throughs,put the vehicle in park and let off the brakes.Standing still with your foot on the pedal for long periods of time is the biggest culprit in melting housings,and yes replacing the whole housings is the only way to fix.

I never sit for any length of time(over 30 seconds) with my foot on the brake pedal and I still have the factory bulbs in my brake lights,that's 9 years.Saves on your brakes and trans fluid also.
Unread 10-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
acsguitar

Thanks for the advice! I think the wife is just gonna pay them to do it. She makes the dough so I don't blame her. I'll tell her about that though. Interesting stuff
Unread 10-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsguitar View Post
Thanks for the advice! I think the wife is just gonna pay them to do it. She makes the dough so I don't blame her. I'll tell her about that though. Interesting stuff
This is most likely your problem,a design flaw from Chrysler:

Vehicle: Jeep Liberty (KJ) 2002-2005 (approx)

Concern: Right (or left) side tail/brake bulb keeps burning out. Customer has had bulb replaced numerous times.

Cause: A loose reflector piece inside the tailight lens is touching the bulb. Shake the tailight to check for rattle noise.

Resolution: Replace both tailight assemblies with revised parts to correct.

Details: Design flaw
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
acsguitar

hmm does that mean they'd cover it probably not but doesn't hurt to ask. Where did you get that from?
Unread 10-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsguitar View Post
hmm does that mean they'd cover it probably not but doesn't hurt to ask. Where did you get that from?
No warranty on this unless your under warranty.I found this info on the net.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
SabaII
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wouldn't hurt to try and get the dealer to pay for it. If it has happened before and you bring it to them, maybe see where richd got this info, and your not lightyears out of your warranty I would give it a shot.
SabaII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
cgkoon

This is absolutely true. I had the same issue with my 2006 liberty. After reading this thread, I removed my tail light assembly and the lens in the assembly was rattling around in it. You could even see where the light bulb had melted part of it. After looking online for a replacement and discovering that you would pay over $100 for one, I decided to fix it myself. I took a pair of tin snip shears and put the tip in the small hole for the socket and bulb and cut the lens into small enough pieces to pull it out. After doing this, I put it back on and it works perfectly. Thanks for the info on the problem. It saved me $100.
cgkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

100 bucks for one tail light
I have a pair here for sale 80 bucks
some people don't shop around do they
Unread 02-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ha ha, no - Tom your just faster on the draw in most for sale forums.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
Tpr430
2012 KK Liberty 

Same problem here. Loose plastic/reflector piece inside was melting as it was contacting bulb. I put a couple drops of superglue (I think super) inside and glued the piece to the back wall or wherever sat better. Cant remember exactly, but haven't had a problem since.
Tpr430 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
BIG_J
2005 KJ Liberty 

I did the super glue as well, then just left them flat for a wile. It does make the lens foggy, but the bulbs have been in there for 6months now with out issue.

Tags
dead , liberty , tail lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.